PDA

View Full Version : Restoring interiour to original color

NielsGalan
01-27-2005, 06:30 AM
Hey guys.

My good ol' E34 has beautiful chocolate brown interiour. I love it. Very retro, classic looking.

However the rear self behind the back seat has suffered form exposure from the sun the past 15 years. So instead of being brown, it is now red/pinkish. I actually thought it had been replaced before I tried to remove the back seat and I saw that lovely brown color down there where the sun don't shine :D .

So ... Anyone have an idea how to restore/dye the thing back to original?

atb.
Niels

e34it
01-27-2005, 06:33 AM
Bite the bullet and buy a new one...my two cents

NielsGalan
01-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Buying a new one would be Plan B (or C)

peterllo
01-27-2005, 08:45 AM
When I was in the car business I had that type of work performed by mobile trim and interior repair companies. They are used to repairing holes, burns, dying stained areas. Generally they create their own color mix, on site, from a selection of base colors they carry. You could call your dealers used car department and speak to the guy who heads up their reconditioning department. This person may refer you to who they use.

Other than that call their parts department see if they still can order the material, barring that, an automotive upholstry shop or if you can remove the material and/or the shelf and RIT dye it??? I have seen car headliner material in fabric shops like Joann's. Just a WAG on the last two.

Hope this helps.

drum2430
01-27-2005, 09:42 AM
I had mine recovered at the auto uphostery shop that did my headliner. It looks original.

Jason
01-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Got any pics of that brown interior?

Hey guys.

My good ol' E34 has beautiful chocolate brown interiour. I love it. Very retro, classic looking.

However the rear self behind the back seat has suffered form exposure from the sun the past 15 years. So instead of being brown, it is now red/pinkish. I actually thought it had been replaced before I tried to remove the back seat and I saw that lovely brown color down there where the sun don't shine :D .

So ... Anyone have an idea how to restore/dye the thing back to original?

atb.
Niels

Mr Project
01-27-2005, 02:40 PM
I had mine covered in a auto-interior moldable carpeting by the upholstery shop while I was having the headliner covered. They did the shelf for about $25. It looks great, much nicer-looking than the mouse-fur material, and the extra thickness of the carpeting cuts down on road noise even more. They say it will resist fading much better than the mouse-fur stuff as well. We'll see, but so far I am EXTREMELY happy with it.

632 Regal
01-27-2005, 06:18 PM
spray paint? maybe spray die? then if it dont turn out you can buy a fresh one.

NielsGalan
01-28-2005, 03:44 AM
So you wanna see my brown interior, eh?

I'd have to get it cleaned up for you. I might post some pics at some point. When it is all cleaned up, I will post some pics for all to see.

Mmmmmm... brown.

Niels