PDA

View Full Version : Need an alternator for 92 525. Sugesstions?

freeparking
01-26-2005, 06:10 PM
I just got off the phone with the previous owner. He said the alternator has
never been replaced. With 100k miles I guess its due. That would probably be the reason for the flickering lights. I added a sony xm head unit in the vehicle
and I think its sucking a lot of juice. The head unit gets pretty hot. Can I pot a higher amp alternator in there and if so, what amp should I go with? Need one fast.

Thanks for the help,

Al

DanDombrowski
01-26-2005, 06:16 PM
By sucking a lot of juice, you mean more than the 45W or so fuse that's in it? Cus I don't think so.

Doesn't mean its not your alternator, but a head unit doesn't draw any serious power.

ve39
01-26-2005, 06:18 PM
if you had a bad alternator you wouldn't be able to drive

freeparking
01-26-2005, 06:27 PM
By sucking a lot of juice, you mean more than the 45W or so fuse that's in it? Cus I don't think so.

Doesn't mean its not your alternator, but a head unit doesn't draw any serious power.

By sucking a lot of power I mean the headlights,odometer lights, vanity lights,
pulsate very quickly. Im also getting a lot of false messages, liscence plate
light out, trans program, temperature displaying. I just guessed the head unit might be sucking more power than the stock unit. The new unit gets hot after its turned on.

Kalevera
01-26-2005, 07:03 PM
It sounds like someone fudged the install. I'd check the wiring harness on that head unit. Better yet, pull it and see what happens to your electrical woes.

Tiger
01-26-2005, 08:50 PM
I agree... someone messed up your stereo install

632 Regal
01-26-2005, 09:17 PM
big bass will dim the lights at idle, if you rev the car and the lights dont dim with heavy bass then the alternator is fine. The battery might be a bit low (old) also.

winfred
01-26-2005, 09:56 PM
the head unit shouldn't get blazingly hot unless a speaker output is shorted or bridged to the wrong wire, most e34s have at least a 100 amp alt and some have a 140 amp unit, ether of which will do anything the car wants, it's not hard to check the output you just need the equipment, i think autozone will check it out for nothing, with a multimeter and a inductive amp clamp(or one of those clamp on meters that combine both) you can check it out