PDA

View Full Version : Replaced an M50 Radiator today

DanDombrowski
01-26-2005, 06:10 PM
So my radiator from BMA finally got here, I replaced it in stages in between classes (I have a terrible schedule this year: Class, 2 hour break, Class, 2 hour break, Class).

So I figured I'd just get some more Zerex G05 and top it off rather than flush it as being in college I don't have time to be such a perfectionist. No dice. Autozone doesn't have it, and Discount auto parts says they do over the phone. When I get there, they hand me "discount auto parts brand green stuff". Said that it was the same thing. Thanks guys, thanks. So I said the heck with it, I'd go get 2 quarts of the BMW blue stuff and call it a day.

TWENTY FIVE (25) dollars a gallon. WTF? I called 2 summers ago and it was $14.99 a gallon. Thats $50 for a coolant flush if I do it myself. Outrageous.

I'm probably just going to run the leftover prestone from my girlfreind's coolant flush and order some coolant from BavAuto or something.

What are you guys (the ones that get the BMW blue) paying locally? And does anyone know where I can get Zerex stuff anymore?

Dave M
01-26-2005, 07:39 PM
As nobody in the US has responded yet, I'll provide my experience. I paid $18 Can. (@$13 US) for 4L (@1 gall).

Sounds like a real 'deal' at $25 US. Someone stateside should be able to help you find a cheaper source.

Good Luck,

Dave M

MantecaBMW
01-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Between the BMW blue stuff vs. say Prestone?

I read that you shouldn't use anything but the blue.....

Color me curious.....

ryan roopnarine
01-26-2005, 08:20 PM
i believe autozone stopped carrying it because there was no demand, which i think is BS. everybody (ford, chrystler....) is going to it, they'll probably start restocking it when the owners of those vehicles start demanding it to service their own vehicles. i have one unopened jug in orlando, that i'd give you if i were close to it. i think pepboys still carries it, however. the "real" auto parts stores are supposed to carry it. i think i saw some at the carquest on the corner of archer and 34th street when i was changing my diff fluid. might be a couple dollars more, but at least you can get it. perhaps bill r can explain the seemingly recent rapid increase in antifreeze across the board....bought some walmart green to top up the mommy mobile...6.87 for green is too much. i remember being able to buy prestone for that much 2 years ago.

So my radiator from BMA finally got here, I replaced it in stages in between classes (I have a terrible schedule this year: Class, 2 hour break, Class, 2 hour break, Class).

So I figured I'd just get some more Zerex G05 and top it off rather than flush it as being in college I don't have time to be such a perfectionist. No dice. Autozone doesn't have it, and Discount auto parts says they do over the phone. When I get there, they hand me "discount auto parts brand green stuff". Said that it was the same thing. Thanks guys, thanks. So I said the heck with it, I'd go get 2 quarts of the BMW blue stuff and call it a day.

TWENTY FIVE (25) dollars a gallon. WTF? I called 2 summers ago and it was $14.99 a gallon. Thats $50 for a coolant flush if I do it myself. Outrageous.

I'm probably just going to run the leftover prestone from my girlfreind's coolant flush and order some coolant from BavAuto or something.

What are you guys (the ones that get the BMW blue) paying locally? And does anyone know where I can get Zerex stuff anymore?

peterllo
02-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Boght the Merc coolant at $10 per, slightly cheaper than the BMW brand. Yves said aside from the color difference there was no difference, both are phosphate free.

John B.
02-01-2005, 02:28 PM
I just picked up a gallon of the GO5 at Autozone recently here in CT. According to the tech info the GO5 is the Mercedes factory fill. What color was the stuff the Merc dealer sold?

DanDombrowski
02-01-2005, 06:35 PM
BTW, I ended up finding G05 at Bumper to Bumper Auto Parts (same thing as Santa Fe, I think) at $13.99 a gallon

632 Regal
02-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Owners manual states:

"Use only reputable brand antifreeze with corrosion inhibitors that are nitrate and amino acid free and compatable with aluminum radiators"

Manual does not state to use distilled water and nothing about phosphates.

I do however use cool blue and distilled only.

I recall paying something like 20 bux a gallon.

Kalevera
02-02-2005, 12:37 AM
I saw G05 at Napa when I was there last week.

I only go with the blue, though - $17/gal at BMW Cleveland.

Best, whit

TC535i
02-02-2005, 12:42 AM
I have Pentosin, the BMW stuff. Email me, I'll cut you a good price, for sure.

I have 4 1.5L bottles sitting around, not much happening with them.

-Tim

John B.
02-02-2005, 03:11 PM
My wife dropped by the local Autozone today & they still had the G-05 on the shelf for $9.50 gallon. She grabbed a couple for future use.