PDA

View Full Version : Just spent $1100+ with BMA...

Kalevera
01-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Well, after a few days of vacillating, I decided to take THE PLUNGE.

It started when I drained the coolant from my M30 this afternoon...what a mess...but there was no other way to check to see which item, the hose or the expansion tank, was leaking. Turned out to be the hose. The Aux Water Pump is also leaking like my grandmother.

The PO had put something in that was GREEN. No good. I've got two gallons of BMW coolblue just waiting for that distilled water.

Now that my coolant's out...it's a fine time to replace the water pump, thermostat, aux water pump, and all of the hoses; so that's what part of my order was all about (~ $300). I went with the stock 88 degree tstat. I think I'll take Bill R's advice and use some of that sealant he's always talking about.

My brakes have been grinding (the front left rotor). All rotors have huge lips on them...I'll have to take a pic of them. I already got a good deal on a front brake kit (stock) on eBay, so ~ $100 of the order was for new rear brembos, pads, and other misc crap like those silly rotor retainer bolts, antisqueak, and ATE Super Blue.

The EXCITING part of the purchase is the $640 Sachs kit...which I should have just done last month when I stuck the BavAuto springs on. I'm sick of those damn dead shocks, didn't want to wait for the Vogtland/Koni's to become and option, so I ordered it....wheee.

I also got some new plugs...although the car probably also needs new wires, cap, and various fuel rail parts replaced. That'll be the next order.

Now it'll take me about 3 weeks to install all of this stuff.

Question: should I worry about leaving the car to sit without coolant in it? I'm concerned that the waterways could oxidize with the lack of fluid in there.

Best, Whit

bahnstormer
01-26-2005, 06:01 PM
have fun installin all that, otherwise prepare to fork over, oh maybe 2500 for install =]
btw what is wrong with green?

Mr Project
01-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Heh, that's a familiar feeling, although the time I've spent over $1k with them it was for collision repair, not mods. :(

I wouldn't worry about leaving coolant out of it unless you're planning on this project taking 17 years or something. Some people drain all the coolant out of their race cars over the winter to keep it from freezing and cracking a block. No big deal.

Kalevera
01-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Isn't it supposed to be blue?!

I could be wrong...for some reason, I have this idea in my head that it's supposed to be blue, though.

I just freaked out because -- I was like, "man - I hope this **** isn't prestone or something"

Yes, I'll do the install. I've done it before. Doesn't take long, although those damn spring compressors take forever to get in place (even with air tools). After I get done with this, I'll have replaced every component, including the strut housings, in the front end, with the exception of the sway bar.

It'll be a bonanza! Yeeehaw.

MantecaBMW
01-26-2005, 07:35 PM
Your grandmother leaks?

Leaks what?....oh wait, I'd rather not know...........

632 Regal
01-26-2005, 08:13 PM
dont worry about it being empty, as long as you didnt flush it out with water if the temos are freezing. Cool blue is the best guess when it comes to coolant, as long as your running the mile you might as well spend the dollar extra a year on the official stuff. Sounds like your going to be pulling out with a whole other car when your done, congrats mann!

Aaron Bakos
01-26-2005, 08:24 PM
You get used to the BMA bills, if you ever get discouraged, just get a quote from a dealer... :)

Don't sweat the install, cooling system is no prob. Suspension is well...a bit more involved.

Good luck!

Kalevera
01-26-2005, 09:55 PM
Aaron - I actually *like* paying BMA. Great company.

Most of the local idiots that I deal with for car parts (i.e., NAPA, AutoZone, even the STEALER) have about as much charisma and salesmanship as the frozen dog turds that some of you folks up in the north east are finding in your snow piles right about now.

Working with Patrick is refreshing. You can tell he actually cares about his customers, is knowledgable about what he sells, says thank you, and on the rare occasion when they mess something up -- they FIX it. That's right.

Aside from giving stuff away for free, what greater testament could the average BMW Fanatic ask for?

Now...if only they had the name recognition of "Bavarian Auto"...

Can't wait until Fritz is working again!!!

Best, Whit

liquidtiger720
01-27-2005, 01:09 AM
How much was shipping for those things? Im about to play a 1k + order too =). Joining the club.

Kalevera
01-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Josh - it was something like $20 (the sachs kit is priced including shipping at $640). Very reasonable considering that I bought rotors. I realized that I forgot to order a few more things...so I'll be calling Patrick about them tomorrow....hopefully it won't be too late to get them in there.

liquidtiger720
01-27-2005, 02:18 AM
$20 is not bad at all. I feel better now. =)

peterllo
01-27-2005, 08:58 AM
If you never changed the coolant until now you may have ended up with a car that has Mercedes coolant in it.

I recently spent about $800 in parts with BMA, they sold me the Benz coolant, its' a bit cheaper than BMW's and works as well. These two coolants are phosphate free according to Yves at BMA whereas the OTC stuff like Preston is not which screws up the cars cooling system.

Good luck, you'll find little odds and ends as well as you go through it. For example I needed a rear trans seal, so one seal and a gasket kit fluid, Wynn's additive and its' done only then to notice the two rear trans mounts were cracked so, back to the phone.

pmlmotorsports
01-27-2005, 09:38 AM
Lowell, I wish ya the best with the Sachs Kit. Personally, I could NEVER install a shock/sring kit with a 1 year warranty. Maybe it's the New York streets, or just the northeast region, but I kinda feel if Boge's "normal" products have a lifetime warranty, why are they only offering such a short (shortest in the entire industry) warranty on the Sach's Kit? Oh, I know why. I just can't afford the cost of relacement should anything fail after the 366th day.

Kalevera
01-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Peter - well, I figured I'd give it a shot. My logic is this: 1) Everybody who has the kit really likes it, 2) Those who have it don't seem to report camber problems (which is the main reason why I need to get my current setup switched out), 3) It's relatively cheaper, although not by much, when compared to the Koni/Vogtland system that I priced out, 4) if it's still not right...the 3rd time's the charm :)

My understanding of it is that Sachs is a quality OEM company. I'm not really worried about whether or not it will fail at a year. I'll have decided whether I want to keep the setup on the car by then, as well.

Best, Whit