PDA

View Full Version : Best winter tires

wengenstein
01-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Ok, I think I need to get some winter tires. Sliding around was fun for a while but getting stuck on a mild incline is probably one of the most frustrating things I have ever experienced. :)

So, I need some opinions, what do you think are the best winter tires? And I know very little about this topic, whats the deal with studded tires? Are there usually local restrictions on their use?

Thanks!
Dennis

freeparking
01-26-2005, 05:02 PM
I just bought a new set of snows for my 92 525. I looked at them all. The best snow tire bar none is the Nokian RSI. It is a studless tire. They have what are called Rainforest sipes (Thousands of grooves in tread pattern). The Nokian RSI
is a new design this year to replace the Hakkapelleta 2. These tires have a nice soft tread. They have an R speed rating.( Who drives over 100 in the winter? LOL). I had them out and ran them at 70mph on packed snow and they were glued to the road. They are amazing!!!!JMHO

bahnstormer
01-26-2005, 05:10 PM
if u went 70mph on packed snow that is all and well, but did u try to brake?!
u're nuts

i just put blizzacks on and i like them, very good compared to my kumho 712's which were 255 17" summer tires heheh

studded tires aren't as cool as they sound, there are only about 30 studs per tire
and on the outside edges....u can only hear them in low speed tight turning, highway
they are fine.

most states don't have laws prohibiting them.....i *think*

shanek
01-26-2005, 05:32 PM
I have the Nokian RSI on my 90 525 too. I love them. I also have Blizzaks on my 86 325 and think they are great. The Nokians were cheaper and seem to have the best reputation so I went with them on my 525. I don't think you will be dissapointed with either one. I live in Edmonton, Alberta and this winter we have had snow, rain and freezing rain and both tires have been great.

Tiger
01-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Yep! Nokian rules... the RSI replaces the Hakka Q... I got the RSI and it is great!

freeparking
01-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Yep! Nokian rules... the RSI replaces the Hakka Q... I got the RSI and it is great!

My mistake, Nokian RSI replaces Hakkapelleta Q. Duh! The tire is also much quieter than normal snows.

632 Regal
01-26-2005, 08:18 PM
www.tiresavings.com (http://www.tiresavings.com/) click on winter tires, pick your size. I got the Semperit sport grip, best thing next to sliced beef! 60 bux a tire...cant beat it.

https://www.tiresavings.com/tires/sport.jpg

wengenstein
01-27-2005, 01:22 PM
I think I might go with the nokians...from what I've been reading they seem to be the most recommended winter tire brand.

Thanks y0!
Dennis