PDA

View Full Version : Right Wiper Size Please!!!air Filter?

GAGE308
01-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Hey Guys....would someone please help...I am trying to get the RIGHT SIZE windshield wipers for my 1991 525i (m50)....The wipers that are on there are WRONG...i THINK...They are Both 21".and I need new ones BAD..I am pretty sure that the car has two different sizes...I just left good ole AUTOZONE...where they already this month...gave me the wrong OIL filter.,...and STILL the wrong AIR filter...they have yet to find...the one they gave me is 4 inches shorter than the compartment it fits in....the ONE that is in there is an Orange fram...But its about 1/2 an inch TOO big...But just squeezes in there...SO...if anyone could tell me the right Air filter.... I'd GREATLY appreciate it.....ok now back to the WIPERS autozones Computer is Giving me SIX different sizes all mixed back and forth...LOL....for the wipers.and the owners manual that I have doesnt have anything about wiper sizes that Ive been able to find...So PLEASE GUYS...rescue me again....OH.,..If you are stating driver or passenger ..please remember that I am in the USA and the drivers side is the Left side...thanks Alot guys....Donnie V

liquidtiger720
01-25-2005, 10:13 PM
gee...Autozone sucks. I only go there now for oil,fuel injection cleaner, and misc stuff like that, in which I already know what I want.

~ they gave me the wrong sizes too, but they are close enough to where I can live with it.. so I cant help you there.

GAGE308
01-25-2005, 10:24 PM
ok .....I dont knwo WHAT to do about the wiper sizes........they are ALL mixed up....I guess 21 for the drivers (left)...and then 19 for the passenger...They have 24" listed for the passenger side....DUDE THAT HANGS OFF THE SIDE OF THE CAR .. YOU STUPID AUTO ZONE COMPUTER MAN!!!!!!!!!...LOL....actually...Just to let you know...WAL MART has the best price for oil...But its NO CHEAPER to buy it in the 5 quart jugs than to buy a quart at a time...LOL...I got castrol synthetic(although Most on here seem to prefer Mobil 1)...But i got it for $4.17 qt.on sale.....BTW...The only reason i chose the Castrol is because My Buddy who just finished his BMW mechanics apprenticeship...RAVES about it...as do his Instructors....

Kalevera
01-25-2005, 10:28 PM
dude - I told you - forget autozone. They can't do ANYTHING for you except sell you a battery. Don't buy belts, oil, filters....ANYTHING...except the battery from them. Call BMA, talk to Patrick or Yves. Do it right, the first time, or don't do it at all (http://www.bmaparts.com). If you want to pay more and get the right part, go to the stealer.

GAGE308
01-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Thanks....LOWELL....I have listened to you on the condemnation of auto zone...HOWEVER,,,,HERE on the east coast...we have been BOMBARDED with snow and ice in the last week or so...I NEED NEW WINDSHIELD WIPERS......LIKE YESTERDAY...SO. ...I NEED the SIZES.....LOL I am SIMPLY asking for the SIZES.......SO I can get the stuff...to work...so I can stop the bare dead blade I hve NOW from carving a MOON into my windshield...asnd I'd like simply to waste my money on the proper size...EVEN if I have to get it from auto zone....I just dont have time to wait for a package to be delivered right now... II HAVE TAKEN YOUR ADVIVE...and ordered 4 oil filters from BMAPARTS....SO Stop yelling at me...DAMNIT.....My statements on how Autozone screwed up is Just further advice fro others to avoid them...HENCE the 6 different sizes for the wipers....So thanks again Lowell....But I still SIMPLY am Just asking for the PROPER WINDSHIELD WIPER SIZES....thats all....I really appreciate your help and advice....But i feel that in thsi Case....If I have the sizes./...I can get the BOSCH blades at AUTOZONE(ONLY BECAUSE ITS LESS THAN A MILE AWAY)....so that I can drive to work......OK cool....Now that Ive FULLY given an explanation you will understand me...LOL.....HOOOOORAAAAAHHH FOR.....BMAPARTS.COM...YES....LOL...thansk anyway dude.....Im just messing with you
D

Dan in NZ
01-25-2005, 11:27 PM
I thought the wipers were 22" on one side and 24" on the other side. It's been a while since I changed mine.

Kalevera
01-25-2005, 11:53 PM
lol...WOW, dude....just....wow.

GAGE308
01-26-2005, 12:01 AM
well yeah....the one variation gave me 21 on one side...then 2 on the other.....I JUST think 24 i too Long
D

liquidtiger720
01-26-2005, 12:22 AM
i think 24" is on my passenger side.. it hangs off the side...but it is perfect going all the way up. Best make sure you have it oriented right. I believe one side is longer than the other...

shogun
01-26-2005, 12:35 AM
Just buy the longest replacement rubber refills and cut to size.
That's it.
The biggest problem of all is that people complain about bad rubbers, but actually the angle is incorrect. BMW has a special tool for that to adjust the angle of the blades. But that can be easily done with a 'tool' from your children's school bag.
The wipers should sit at an 84deg/E34 and 87 on E32 angle to the windscreen - a different angle may result in noisy wiper judder.

http://www.thee32register.co.uk/attach/17733/Wiper2-embed.jpg
http://www.thee32register.co.uk/attach/21326/wiper-adjustment-embed.jpg

DanQ
01-26-2005, 08:41 AM
I went to autozone two weeks ago for blades. Didn't get the warm and fuzzies after looking at the book so I decided to head to the dealer. I didn't think I'd drop more than $40 or 50 on the blades. $83 ended up being the total but now I know what is on the car and discovered that the blades were on the wrong sides from the PO. But after spending that money at the dealer, the day didn't get any better. All i'll say for that is THWACK, and I should've known better after reading the other stories on this board.

liquidtiger720
01-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Interesting. So how do you adjust the angle? I see the cut off protractor, but how do you adjust the wiper?

RIPN RAY
01-26-2005, 10:57 AM
i suggest going to the dealer to get your blades. because the aftermarket ones don't have the correct curve in them which will make them not lay flush on the bottom of the windshield.

had a discussion on it in december, check it out...http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8605

although, if you already have the bmw blade i would just replace the rubber. the passenger side was around $25 i think..

John B.
01-26-2005, 01:30 PM
I got replacement arms & bosch blades from BMA & have had no fitment problems. My wiper blades measure 23.75" drivers side & 23 & 1/8" pass side. The actual metal arm they slide into is 22.75" driver & 22.5" pass.

Russell
01-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Got mine from BMA -no problems

GAGE308
01-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Ok that would be Cool...AND a good Idea.....But Im NOT SURE the wipers that are ON THERE are the right size.....the passenger side looks a little too long But Im NOT sure...

GAGE308
01-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks Alot John,,,,the measurment was the most concern to me....The guy above with the angle has been of great help too

liquidtiger720
01-26-2005, 05:02 PM
So, to angle is...just bend the wiper arm or something?

Tiger
01-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Just measure it! Replace it with Bosch Excel...

shogun
01-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Here some more ideas:
The tool mentioned in the Bentley manual is to adjust the wiper blades so that when at rest they are at right angles to the windscreen. I have pulled the picture below out of the BMW TIS it shows the tool in use. Also there are a set of tools, also shown on the BMW TIS, to twist the blades/arms to achieve the right angle.

BMW sell a thinner wiper arm to stop it hitting the bonnet. Or one could put spacers/washers to the value of say 3mm under the catches that bolt onto the bonnet. This will space the bonnet up off the arm. Then ensure that the catches on either side of the car by the windscreen are at their uppermost adjustment. Then 1 mm could be grinded off the rubbing arm - any more and you might go through to the other side
http://www.thee32register.co.uk/attach/17725/Wipers-embed.jpg
http://www.thee32register.co.uk/attach/17733/Wiper2-embed.jpg

Paul in NZ
01-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Dudes.Sometimes the fitment of the blade to the screen is because the refill is the wrong size for the arm.The refill must be able to slide in the arm as it changes shape as it moves across the windscreen.I think there are two sizes.Dudes

GAGE308
02-02-2005, 12:29 AM
yeah But be VERY CAREFUL after you have the blade off....and the arm is sticking up...SPRING LOADED ...i BARELY toucjed the arm and it went FLYING DOWN and Cracked the F$%&#@! Windshield.....LOL DAMNIT!!!.....So be careful..

DallasBill
02-02-2005, 11:48 AM
i HAVE BEEN using 22INCH blades on both SIDES from any manuf. FOR 7 years NOW AND they all WORK fine.

SORRY... please DISREGARD my stuck caps-LOCK....

Kalevera
02-02-2005, 03:42 PM
lol

genphreak
03-29-2005, 09:18 PM
I have the correct (stock) wipers, spacers under the bonnet and boith arms hit the bonnet, it really pees me off!

I am sure there is something wrong with the wiper mechanism somewhere- and I expect, form the amount of spirited debate on Bimmer boards, that it goes out and gradually gets worse... I did read about it somewhere, adn its on my to do list, so when I get to it and discover (what someone else has probably discovered before) I will write about it...

:) GP