PDA

View Full Version : Sachs Kit Is In!!

MantecaBMW
01-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Finally "Got Er Done" over the weekend.

All 4 original shocks were leaking....the front strut housings had more oil in the bottom than was left in the shocks and not one of them had any rebound to them at all. While in there, I installed a new center link, idler arm, tie rods, sway bar links and lower control arms......thrust arms replaced about 6 months ago. So I was basically riding around on the springs.....which explained the super soft ride and the lousy steering response.

Man, what an unbelieveable difference in the way the car drives....firm, very responsive and much, much more fun to drive.

I have some before and after pics, but I can't post them as they are too big. Can anyone host them for me or post them? Love to share with you guys.

Thanks,

Mark

bahnstormer
01-25-2005, 07:44 PM
email em to me i'll host em
or just resize the pics. that often
works well =]

if u have windows XP use this program
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe
Image Resizer
This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files with a right-click.

Jr ///M5
01-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Good job Mark, it sounds like you did the right thing by replacing the steering linkage along with the control arms when you installed the kit.

I have yet to hear anyone that didn't like the way the Sachs kit transformed their car. Although 17's look the best coupled with the Sachs kit, the best compromise I found was when I put on a set of 16's. The ride was very, very, smooth but the car still handled like it was on rails.

Congratulations,
Jr

Patrick
01-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Good job man -You'll smile (bigger) everytime you drive.

632 Regal
01-25-2005, 08:34 PM
The Sachs kit is one good setup all around for a tuned system that works "out of the box".

The factory shocks require that there be oil in the strut housing so what you discovered in there was most likely supposed to be in there.

Just a FYI

Incantation
01-25-2005, 10:33 PM
right on dude.. enjoy!

liquidtiger720
01-25-2005, 10:56 PM
I am waiting eagerly for the pictures as I am debating between the sachs kit and koni/h&r combo.

MantecaBMW
01-26-2005, 11:26 AM
I can't sendthem, says you have too many stored messages. You have a different e-mail address?

Mark

TheMirror
01-26-2005, 12:00 PM
How does/would the Sachs kit measure up for trackdays, HPDE type stuff?
-Mirror

bahnstormer
01-26-2005, 02:11 PM
here you go mark, and everyone else

http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~szwarc/e34/Mark_530i/

those are mark's before and after pics...looks awesome
with those wheels = ]

for PURE track, sachs is too soft. for the occasional
track excursion (with plenty of street) they're great

MantecaBMW
01-26-2005, 02:37 PM
:-)

Phil Sanderson
01-26-2005, 03:17 PM
...even with the standard cross-spokes the car sits just nice - the way it should be, but then you've topped it off with ///M parallels - the car looks fantastic, well done! (Aaaaah ///M parallels, I love ///M parallels - I can't seem to get any aftermarket ///M parallels in Australia - I want ///M parallels!)

regards
Phil

liquidtiger720
01-26-2005, 05:00 PM
VERY NICE!!! My car envy's yours! You did exactly what I want to do. Sachs kit with M parallels!!

MantecaBMW
01-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to everone on the board here. With the wealth of information I received here, I was able to make a very informed decision on the suspension package for my 530 as well as other projects.

It's easy enough to look on line and see what's out there, but good input from people who have real life experience with these things is priceless. This board is fantastic I look forward to chatting with you all for quite some time.

Regards,

Mark

Ted K
01-27-2005, 03:28 AM
Mark. The car looks great! Lot’s of questions for you.
How is your ride with the 18" M Parallels? I have read the rear has two setting what setting did you use? What size tires you are riding on? Did you go with the staggered rims?

MantecaBMW
01-27-2005, 11:31 AM
The 18's are a bit unforgiving compounded with the kits initial stiffness. So it's a bit stiff in town, but great on the freeway.....settles down snd drives great.

I have the staggered wheels 8" front 235/40 and 9.5" 265/35 rears with Nitto NT555's....got a nice package deal from The Wheel Exchange. I was looking for 17's, but loved the look of the M Parallel's....always have.

For the kit, I took everyone's advice and moved the clip to the upper setting. It kept the rear at about the stock height. The kit itself is an easy install. The only complication was popping out the old ball joints.

liquidtiger720
01-27-2005, 11:45 AM
Has anybody had the kit on for a decent amount of time? I believe they only come with a 1 year warantee...which kind of puzzles me on why it is so low.

bahnstormer
01-27-2005, 12:31 PM
i've had it for almost a year now
settles down nice
great in winter (my old shocks froze)

jplacson
01-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Was this a lowering kit? I posted this in another thread as well, but just in case anyone missed it...

To all lowered E34 owners... is there any way to correct the increased negative camber (on both front and rear tires) once you lower your car? H&R camber bolts?