PDA

View Full Version : Removing the trunk emblem

spddmn713
01-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Does anyone know the best/safest way to remove the trunk emblem without damaging the paint or leaving any residue?

wengenstein
01-25-2005, 04:23 PM
I haven''t actually tried it but IIRC you wrap some tape around a flat head screw driver, work it under the emblem and pop it off.

wait, just found this, from bavauto.com:

Emblem Removal.
The hood or trunk badges on your BMW are pushed into grommets to hold them in place. These grommets are located at 3 and 9 o'clock. To remove a badge use a thin bladed screwdriver and a clean rag. Lift the badge up a little at a time using the rag under the screwdriver to protect the paint. Once you can get your fingers under the badge, pull it straight up. Be very patient and do not rock the screwdriver. Always lift straight up so that you don't scratch the paint.

Does anyone know the best/safest way to remove the trunk emblem without damaging the paint or leaving any residue?

spddmn713
01-25-2005, 04:33 PM
I was actually wondering about the alphanumeric emblem, for example 535i. Thanks for the info though.

infinity5
01-25-2005, 04:37 PM
Guitar strings is what i hear. i dunno about the residue though. i've used dilluted acetone and alcohol on my paint before to get off bad scuff marks without any noticable damage to the clear coat at all.

I was actually wondering about the alphanumeric emblem, for example 535i. Thanks for the info though.

Qsilver7
01-25-2005, 05:47 PM
warm up the emblems carefully (to soften the glue) then run dental floss between the emblem and the trunk lid. You may need to clean up a little left-over residue...but I'm sure you have a cleaner to do that like goo-gone or a little WD40 on a rag.

632 Regal
01-25-2005, 06:57 PM
yep, dental floss. Before I read that hint I used to use a flat edge and a hammer pretty sucessfully.

wengenstein
01-25-2005, 09:55 PM
doh. Then yea, dental floss is the way to go :)

e34it
01-26-2005, 02:45 AM
Yeah use dental floss or a soft piece of string, or even a screwdriver with the head covered by something, but just be careful, ive done this a million times, ive got it down to a science, hopefully this helps ya out

Interceptor
01-26-2005, 05:22 AM
May I ask, why do you want to remove it? I hope you're not trying to convert your 535i into an M5 by simply swapping emblems :)

My car came without a model number emblem, but I'm planning to buy one (that corresponds to my model, not the ///M5 one :))

drum2430
01-26-2005, 08:12 AM

I removed mine by very carefully drilling two small holes ( one on either side ) and then turning two scews of slightly larger diameter into the holes. Be careful to not go too deep. Once the screws were in solidly I took two pairs of pliers to them and gave it a tug. It came right off with no damage at all. Just be careful how deep you go.

Good luck.

Gordo.

spddmn713
01-26-2005, 09:25 AM
No, I am not trying to make my car look like a M5, I just don't like badges or chrome. To me the rear end of the car looks smoother and less cluttered with the badge taken off.

Hector
01-26-2005, 09:58 AM
with a flathead screw driver with kapton tape on the tip. Unfortunately, I was not able to take off all adhesive residue with wax/cleaner. The emblem came off when the car was 10 yrs old so the adhesive had weathered through the clear coat. It doesn't look that bad though but will get the panel repainted later on.

No, I am not trying to make my car look like a M5, I just don't like badges or chrome. To me the rear end of the car looks smoother and less cluttered with the badge taken off.