PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the engine bay

Incantation
01-25-2005, 03:15 PM
hi guys..

i've noticed a lot of you guys have engines in mint condition.. they almost look new. unfortunately my '90 doesn't look nearly as nice but i would like to take a crack at cleaning it up.. can anyone recommend a good product to help? so far soap/scrubbing isn't that effective.. heh

thanks!

infinity5
01-25-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm interested about this too. my undercarriage in the front is so soaked with oil i dunno what to do. The only time i've even come close to getting the inches of P/S fluid/drity mixture off the metal was when i accidently spilled a ton of coolant all over the engine bay.. it took the stuff right off.. crazy.

hi guys..

i've noticed a lot of you guys have engines in mint condition.. they almost look new. unfortunately my '90 doesn't look nearly as nice but i would like to take a crack at cleaning it up.. can anyone recommend a good product to help? so far soap/scrubbing isn't that effective.. heh

thanks!

Elekta
01-25-2005, 04:54 PM
You at least remove your drip pan first.

Just take your time, avoid electrical circuits and don't use pressure spray. In fact you ought to use a watering can.

Buy GUNK, or green cleaner, or EASY-OFF oven cleaner and get a few different kinds of scrubbies on handles.

I shorted out my oil pressure switch last time I cleaned my engine compartment (looking for coolant leak really )and I decided I'd wait until it was really dirty, or maybe just buy a new cover for the 3.0 v8.

Armor all on a sponge afterwards if you really are detailing it.

Robin-535im
01-25-2005, 05:02 PM
One of those pressurized sprayer bottles with a metal wand and a hand lever spray control. I plan to fill it with hot water and simple green and use that with a cotton rag or nylon brush to get the grime off. It didn't come with bug spray in it so it shouldn't be a health hazard. :)

I tried a pressure sprayer at the local car wash and the car ran like crud until whatever-I-got-wet-that-I-shouldn't-have dried off. A truly clean bay takes constant attention, full drip pans in place, and no oil leaks. You can wax the painted surfaces too I believe, or at least I plan to try it once I get the dust and grime off. I try to wipe it all down whenever I'm under the hood for some reason, but needles to say it gets dirty fast if it's your daily driver.

califblue
01-25-2005, 06:00 PM
I use a stiff paint brush 2" wide and use New Dawn ( yes the Blue original formula dishwashing stuff) mixed 50/50 in a spray bottle...works awesome

see :D
http://www.labusas.org/photopost/data/500/41engine2.jpg

http://www.labusas.org/photopost/data/500/41engine.jpg

632 Regal
01-25-2005, 06:56 PM
cali, checked out the site your pic is posted and came across this:

http://www.labusas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=59865

****ing hilarious!!!!

Ill read more later but that is great.

Incantation
01-25-2005, 07:36 PM
looks amazing... how do you rinse it down?

califblue
01-25-2005, 09:31 PM
looks amazing... how do you rinse it down?
I just wash it with a garden hose (various spray patterns)...just put a plastic bag over the coil and distributor cap) with a small sponge I go over the hoses and plastic with a vinyl treatment...I use Griots stuff myself and have been for years

Johntee540
01-25-2005, 09:32 PM
that is the wierdest web community I have ever read in my life. But I was digging the spider. Cool. - JT