PDA

View Full Version : Can't figure this out....

baileydog
01-24-2005, 08:33 PM
I have a bad shake when the car is cold...I feel in in the wheel and in my seat, the shake starts at 50km and remains but get slightly less up to 80km. At first I thought it was my tires developing a flat spot when the car has sat overnight, but a set of new tires and upper thrust arms has not made any difference...the shake actually seems to be getting worse every week.

After driving the car for an hour or so, the shake diminishes to the point where I hardly notice it.

The guys at the tire shop says radial performance tires do not have flat spots (the temparature has been hovering around freezing for the last little while)...they think the shake is in the driveline.

Any ideas.....Thx

632 Regal
01-24-2005, 09:57 PM
ummm....beat the dog to death but it might very well be bad tires. Take a look at the balance weights they used and let us know how much weight they needed.

Also did you check the wheels for straightness?

I had two bad sets in a row, gave up and ordered snow tires, had Kmart pop them on and the car rides like silk now.

Paul in NZ
01-24-2005, 11:21 PM
oooooh jeffs gotta new pic!!!!

Kalevera
01-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Lol - I saw that, too...I was like, "why the @#$% is this thing taking so much longer to load?!"

Nice pic, though, Jeff. And: glad to hear that your snows are working out!

632 Regal
01-25-2005, 01:03 AM
the pics blurry, it takes longer to load too???

I also deleted all the newer pics of the car with the Eibach springs...
this pic is with the BavAuto springs but looks the same except for
the un-clear front clears.

Im not good at this crap dammit!

Paul in NZ
01-25-2005, 05:21 AM
looks good tho jeff!I think what lowell means is that new pis take a time to load,pics you have seen before are "pre loaded"

baileydog
01-25-2005, 02:30 PM
ummm....beat the dog to death but it might very well be bad tires. Take a look at the balance weights they used and let us know how much weight they needed.

Also did you check the wheels for straightness?

I had two bad sets in a row, gave up and ordered snow tires, had Kmart pop them on and the car rides like silk now.
Thanks Jeff...If it's the wheels being bent or untrue, how does the shake lessen as the car is driven for half an hour or more. If it's the new tires, why is the shake getting worse now as the tires are a month or so old? There was also this persistent shake with the old tires. at the same speed. ...It did seem to get better when I put on the new tires but the shake is back worse than ever.

Love the new picture.....Thanks

zygoteer
01-25-2005, 02:37 PM
I am a recent E34 owner and still getting used to this great car.
I too had a scare with vibration in the driveline and felt through the body & seat etc.

It would start about 5 mins after moving off and get worse at a constant speed, but smooth out at higher speed, then would go away the next day.
This happened three ( non-consecutive ) occasions.

People murmered "Guibo" ( whatever that is ! ),
BUT ... it turned out to be the rear brakes ... more specifically the handbrake.
On one occasion I jumped out to look yet again when I stopped and noticed the rear discs were dull red in the darkness.
... I had not been FULLY releasing the handbrake ( dashboard light gone off tho ) and they were touching, heating up, expanding etc. and juddering on the disc. ( I guess thats bought the next brake service a little closer :( )
I verified this later cos i was lazy yet again and immediately fully released the handbrake ( was only one click/notch to go ) and it dissappeared.
... so a simple cure, at least till the handbrake is adjusted next ( omg is that a big job ? ), is make sure its ALL the way off.

This is probably not your problem, but maybe someone else may recognise the syndrome.

632 Regal
01-25-2005, 07:49 PM
okay, sounds like you have 2 issues here. 1) being your new tires arent round, 2) the tires are flat spotting after sitting.

The flat spotting has happened with all 3 sets of tires for me, some worse than others and after a while driving they kinda equal out again. our cars are very fussy with the tires they wear so it is amplified and much more noticable compared to another type of car.

Now the square tire issue... you may have serious issues resolving this problem, I did and finally gave up. refer to this...
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff127265.htm

I hope in some little way this helps you.