PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet release

taff1966
01-24-2005, 10:15 AM
Can anyone tell me how to open the bonnet from outside of my 520i? the cable has snapped.

shogun
01-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Take a piece of stiff wire (a coat hanger ) about a foot long. Bend a small hook in one end. Insert the hooked end, with the hook flat,into the space between the hood and the headlights on the drivers side. Once you have the wire inserted a few inches rotate the hook downward. Gently withdraw the wire until you feel the hook engage the hood release cable. Give the wire a sharp tug and your hood catch should release. You can then proceed to put on a battery charger, or jump from another vehicle to apply some power. You will then be able to use the power locks to unlock your car. This is a useful exercise to practice when you don't need it so that you are prepared when you do need to use it.

This refers to left hand drive cars and was copied from an E32 help side.I think it works also on the E34.

JonE
01-24-2005, 11:55 AM
if the cable snapped by the pull handle and there is enough length, you can attach a vise grips to the end and pull. But, I suppose it broke elsewhere, eh?

moots
01-24-2005, 08:44 PM
On the LH grill,LH upper area,there is a slot to insert a flathead screwdriver.Get a long one,at least 1 foot long and give it a good twist.The hood will pop open.