PDA

View Full Version : Suspension maintnence

liquidtiger720
01-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Hey guys.

I am about to replace my both of my control arms (upper and lower) and sway bar links. Could you name any and all bushings/screws/misc parts I will need or should replace?

I will put 750 bushings in my thrust arms...but what about the lower control arm?

Lastly, is there anything else I should replace while I am in there? TIA :D

liquidtiger720
01-23-2005, 10:28 PM
w0w...nobody?

tim s
01-23-2005, 10:33 PM
i recommend using lemforder or trw. becareful, i purchased what i was told to be trw & i found out later it was not.
tim s.

Brandon J
01-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Well, it's not the front, but you may want to look into the rear pitman arms (dog bones). This helps a lot with the rear feeling controlled. You can buy a pair (L+R) for less than one front control arm.

MBXB
01-24-2005, 12:18 AM
You'll need new nuts to replace any that you remove from both
upper control arms and lower control arms. (thrust arms)
Get the Lemforders from BMA. You can order the 750 bushings already installed. Oh yeah, replace the "unreachable nut" that fastens the chassis end of the upper arm. Don't forget that it has to be preloaded when you torque it to spec. Check the posts on how to reach the nut.
While you're under the car, check the center link, and the tire rods. If you feel any play at all, replace them. Same deal on any nuts you remove. PM me for a list. I'll dig mine up.

shogun
01-24-2005, 01:28 AM
There are now these reasonable priced items on offer as set price.
I know that in Germany the parts offered by CaMo parts are made in Germany by Meyle, not that bad as maker.
The set prices are very good compared to single items prices.
I bought 1 complete set from Germany, to save cost it is on the way by seaparcel and it takes about 5 weeks. I am not in a hurry, because it is for my stock of wear parts. I usually do this, that I buy used/new parts whenever I find them cheap somewhere. Just bought a GM for only 8.50 $ in Great Britain. I have most of the modules on stock from a used 750iL, purchased for small money. If I just need 1 relay module to be replaced, I will use the stock one and the whole parts cost about the same as a new relay module.
Prepare for "winter time", like a squirrel :D
http://i12.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/41/88/bf_1_b.JPG
Found 2 on offer, do not know about these companies that offer it. (http://search.ebay.com/BMW-E34-front-suspension_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfromZR10QQca trefZC6QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQcoactionZ compareQQcopagenumZ1QQcoentrypageZsearch)

liquidtiger720
01-24-2005, 01:51 AM
I've seen those, they are dirt cheap! but has anybody had any long term experience with them?

Bill R.
01-24-2005, 08:19 AM
other cheaper manufacturers parts, chinese,taiwanese, etc. I would only use Lemforder or boge if given the choice. It truly is a case of you get what you pay for.

QUOTE=liquidtiger720]I've seen those, they are dirt cheap! but has anybody had any long term experience with them?[/QUOTE]

liquidtiger720
01-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Thats what I thought- BMA is going to get my order.

~ How long do shocks/struts usually last? I am at 130k on supposedly stock shocks. Is it due up for replacement any time soon?

Bill R.
01-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Struts at this time too...

Thats what I thought- BMA is going to get my order.

~ How long do shocks/struts usually last? I am at 130k on supposedly stock shocks. Is it due up for replacement any time soon?

liquidtiger720
01-25-2005, 01:33 AM
ok...so now onto struts/springs...Since i have to do struts, i minus well upgrade. What are good combo's for struts/springs? I was thinking H&R + koni SA's which will run about 800+shipping, I think. How much is the sachs kit...etc. Personal reviews would be great!

MBXB- THANK YOU for the websites!!

Interceptor
01-25-2005, 03:16 AM
ok...so now onto struts/springs...Since i have to do struts, i minus well upgrade. What are good combo's for struts/springs? I was thinking H&R + koni SA's which will run about 800+shipping, I think. How much is the sachs kit...etc. Personal reviews would be great!
I was looking at the Bilstein B12 BTK PowerPack. It includes 4 x B8 Sprint shocks + 4 x springs. It drops down your car about an inch and yet they're not too stiff. My local dealer can get it for 900 EUR (around $1200) but that sounds way too expensive so I'm trying to find a better deal.

More info here:
http://www2.bilstein.de/en/produkte/tuning.php3

Robin-535im
01-25-2005, 12:50 PM
...H&R + koni SA's ...

Not too much drop (50314F/R are the H&R p/n's I think... don't think they are the extreme sport version but the middle sport version.)

Feels great with 17" Kumho tires. Mostly anything new will feel great, but this is better than the Bilstein / RD combo I had before. Tires wear evenly so far, but then I corner pretty hard on a daily basis so it might be a different story if most of your miles were on the highway.

HTH

liquidtiger720
01-27-2005, 09:25 PM
If I were to lower with the sachs kit or h/r + koni SA's...would the camber be pretty bad, and would I need some camber plates?