PDA

View Full Version : NOT AGAIN!!! $%#@!!!F*kin' DEER

Jr ///M5
01-23-2005, 11:56 AM
This time it was Lori in the E39, happened this morning when she was going to work.

She called me after it happened, sounds like she hit the small one out of the herd that was meandering across the interstate. According to her, the damage was confined to the front drivers fender.....we'll see this evening. She said the xenon headlights still work fine, so maybe the damage isn't too severe. She was bummed about her car. I told her the car can be fixed, I was glad she was ok. "Now you know why I want you to drive a BMW", ....she agreed wholeheartedly. She seemed to be more upset that it slobbered all over her drivers window. =)

The deer population is way beyond control here in Central Illinois, even with extra seasons most of the hunters I know have their freezers full. Others have reported seeing herds of 25-30 deer during the season. They're multiplying like rats, and according to State Farm and Country Companies insurance companies, last year there were 2000 more claims because of deer than the year before. That is just in this area alone.

Jr...
(this deer business is starting to cost me)

Brian C.
01-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Geeze Jr..........I'm glad that she's OK. I admit that I don't have a whole lot of idea about those types of accidents being that the deer population in South Florida is close to extinct. But other than driving at 15mph, isn't here something that a driver can do. Hmmm, I guess that sounds stupid, huh? Wide open, rural spaces are quite foreign to me here so it's difficult to relate. I'm just glad that no one is hurt. After seeing what your M5 looked like, it makes me feel good that at least your family protects themselves with solid vehicles. The car is the least of your worries, that's what insurance companies are for.

Brian C.

Bill R.
01-23-2005, 12:08 PM
I was over at a bodyshop the other day with our touring, this guy is one of the best i've ever seen , he's had a couple of his employees attend the bmw step program for bodywork, anyway he said that color is one of the hardest to match that there is...I have one door on ours that i don't like the looks of and wanted to know how much to reshoot it..and was told that with that color you can only have a good match if you reshoot the entire side of the car.

This time it was Lori in the E39, happened this morning when she was going to work.

She called me after it happened, sounds like she hit the small one out of the herd that was meandering across the interstate. According to her, the damage was confined to the front drivers fender.....we'll see this evening. She said the xenon headlights still work fine, so maybe the damage isn't too severe. She was bummed about her car. I told her the car can be fixed, I was glad she was ok. "Now you know why I want you to drive a BMW", ....she agreed wholeheartedly. She seemed to be more upset that it slobbered all over her drivers window. =)

The deer population is way beyond control here in Central Illinois, even with extra seasons most of the hunters I know have their freezers full. Others have reported seeing herds of 25-30 deer during the season. They're multiplying like rats, and according to State Farm and Country Companies insurance companies, last year there were 2000 more claims because of deer than the year before. That is just in this area alone.

Jr...
(this deer business is starting to cost me)

Jr ///M5
01-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Their carcass are all over the interstates. When the truck drivers hit them, they smear them on the highway for 20 or 30 feet. It's not uncommon to see half a deer here, and the other half over in the median with entrails slung between. I've had to dodge several since the M5 incident, reaction time is critical, but you have to know what's behind you and to your side or evasive action could result in a far worse accident. You would be surprised at what autocross can teach you about evasive actions. Unlike the M5 incident, not much you can do when they come flying airborne out of the edge of the woods. The insurance companies say to flash your lights and blow your horn, by that time, I can load, aim, and shoot 5 times...=)

dternst
01-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Glad to hear that the wifey is fine and hope the damage to the car can be easy repaired.

bahnstormer
01-23-2005, 12:38 PM
ever try those whistle thingies that u put on your bumper?

winfred
01-23-2005, 07:30 PM
i knew a guy that said one of his malfunctioned when it was knocked off by about a 120lb doe

ever try those whistle thingies that u put on your bumper?

philbyil
01-24-2005, 09:47 AM
JR,
Thankfully she is fine....and we know that car's can be repaired (of which yours is a fabulous example mate!). Still pisses you off though..... :(

I think those in rural areas should request the "James Bond" option and delete the xenon's/angel rings in favour of a .50 cal mount on the front ;)

Lots of deer in TX too...we have a local herd hangs around our house and the cheeky buggers even walked into our garage a couple of times!

Well, the good news is that at least I am now assured of a well stocked freezer once we move down there :D :D hehehe

Bill R.
01-24-2005, 10:01 AM
often, I don't care if i every see venision again.. Now elk's a different story...

JR,
Thankfully she is fine....and we know that car's can be repaired (of which yours is a fabulous example mate!). Still pisses you off though..... :(

I think those in rural areas should request the "James Bond" option and delete the xenon's/angel rings in favour of a .50 cal mount on the front ;)

Lots of deer in TX too...we have a local herd hangs around our house and the cheeky buggers even walked into our garage a couple of times!

Well, the good news is that at least I am now assured of a well stocked freezer once we move down there :D :D hehehe

philbyil
01-24-2005, 10:14 AM
MMMMM! Lovely with a light lingonberry sauce, whipped parsnips and brussel sprouts!!! :p

A few of them got out when we had the floods down there 4 years ago and have "mingled" with the locals.......The Axis meat is one of the best tasting venison you'll put in your mouth. They are grazers much like cattle & don't have the gamey taste like Whitetails. Axis usually do not store fat so the meat has no marbling.
Get this....an Axis steak has .06 grams of fat, 26 calories, and 13.9 mg cholesterol. In comparison, skinless chicken has .88 grams of fat, 34 calories, and 20.0 mg cholesterol. Lean beef has 1.76 grams of fat, 41 calories, and 16.86 mg cholesterol

George M
01-24-2005, 12:18 PM
How quickly things happen as we just exchanged e-mail a couple of days ago. Glad your wife is OK Jr. Dissapointing about the deer population in your area and getting bitten twice for the same reason. We have our fair share around here as well in Michigan.
Best of luck in getting her car fixed.
George

winfred
01-24-2005, 01:03 PM
MMMMMMMM

often, I don't care if i every see venision again.. Now elk's a different story...

uberhahn
01-24-2005, 02:23 PM
I do my part to control the deer population in Michigan. It's a three-part effort:

-bow hunting season (Me 1 - Deer 0)
- Gun season (Me 1 - Deer 0)
- Black Powder season (Me 1 - Deer 0)

I just look at it as preventative maintenance for my '530 ;)

uberhahn

Robin-535im
01-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Eventually, natural selection will weed out those deer that don't scamper at the sight of a roundel.

Until then, maybe you can get bumper guards like patrol cars have. Or replace the xenons with big lasers or something...

Jr ///M5
01-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the well wishes guys, the car went into the shop this afternoon. Looks like a new hood, fender, fender liner, bumper cover, xenon light ($1200) possible inner fender and front support. They said it would be finished by next week.

Lori is driving the 318iS for a few days, she'll love that highway cruiser!! =) Funny thing is, when she told me about the deer accident, and I finally knew she was ok, she said it only pushed in the headlight a little bit.... she was more mad about it slobbering all over her windshield.

Again, thanks for all of your concern and well wishes, you guys are the best!!!

Jr

MicahO
01-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Sorry to hear that Jr - what a pain in the rump. Glad Lori is okay. Once they step in front of you at highway speeds, they are pretty much unavoidable.