PDA

View Full Version : power steering fluid

wengenstein
01-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Quick question...This afternoon I had some noise/vibration from the steering wheel so I checked the power steering fluid and it was pretty low. I should prolly bleed the system given that I have no idea when it was done last but it's only about 7 degrees outside...(and I still haven't picked up a heater for the garage :) ) Is it safe to refill the reservoir without bleeding the old fluid?

Also, an equally paranoid question, will any CHF 7.1 hydraulic fluid do or should I look for a particular brand or get it from BMW?

Thanks,
Dennis

Bill R.
01-21-2005, 04:45 PM
bleeding the oil fluid. I've only seen one brand of chf7.1 anyway and thats pentosin brand.

Quick question...This afternoon I had some noise/vibration from the steering wheel so I checked the power steering fluid and it was pretty low. I should prolly bleed the system given that I have no idea when it was done last but it's only about 7 degrees outside...(and I still haven't picked up a heater for the garage :) ) Is it safe to refill the reservoir without bleeding the old fluid?

Also, an equally paranoid question, will any CHF 7.1 hydraulic fluid do or should I look for a particular brand or get it from BMW?

Thanks,
Dennis

Dick Schneiders
01-21-2005, 05:09 PM
when I asked what it was it turned out to still be the Pentosin that was simply repackaged. It was a bit less expensive, though.

bleeding the oil fluid. I've only seen one brand of chf7.1 anyway and thats pentosin brand.

wengenstein
01-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Thats all I've ever seen too..just wanted to make sure :)

Thanks Bill.

bleeding the old fluid. I've only seen one brand of chf7.1 anyway and thats pentosin brand.

JD525IA
01-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Doesn't it say "ATF" on an orange sticker on the reservouir cap? Doesn't BMW use tranny fluid in it's steering system, or am I getting senile in my old age?

632 Regal
01-21-2005, 05:51 PM
it says on the cap, my 94 takes ch 11

Dick Schneiders
01-21-2005, 06:21 PM
CHF 7.1, a semi-synthetic fluid, and others say CHF 11s, a full synthetic fluid.

Some of us, like me, use ATF in their power steering system even though the cap says CHF 7.1 because we (I) believe that the CHF is only necessary if the car has self-levelling suspension, which mine doesn't. I believe that BMW used the same caps for cars with and without the special suspension for a period of time.

Doesn't it say "ATF" on an orange sticker on the reservouir cap? Doesn't BMW use tranny fluid in it's steering system, or am I getting senile in my old age?

wengenstein
01-21-2005, 09:30 PM
werd... Mine says chf 7.1..

it says on the cap, my 94 takes ch 11

wengenstein
01-22-2005, 01:40 PM
I dont know what I was thinking yesterday but when I double checked the fluid type this morning in the NAPA parking lot I realized I too require CHF 11s... Thankfully they had that too :)

werd... Mine says chf 7.1..