PDA

View Full Version : Bentley manual anygood?

tinkerscorner
01-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Hi all,

I have just purchased a bmw 525i sport (£1250) 93L 186k miles in dark blue. I am well pleased with it and runs like a dream. I guess these cars should be bought on condition not mileage.
The only problems I have had is that i keep getting warning that the tail lights/Licence plate lights are out (LKM?) and that it is minus 37c.
I have purchased TIS and parts cat from ebay which is dissapointing also a haynes manual which doesn't cover M50 engine! Whats the Bentley one like, I have seen them for £36 inc delivery on Amazon, seems a bit steep?
This weekend I intend to carry out a full service, have purchased parts from German and Swedish, also service light reset tool by Draper for £15, I didn't fancy shorting out pins, sounds like recipe for disaster.

spddmn713
01-21-2005, 11:26 AM
The Bentley is expensive, but it is well worth it. The manual is very detailed, much better than a Hayes manual. It should be required reading for every E34 owner. I have not been disappointed.

Patrick
01-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Yes -buy it, you won't find a better manual for the E34.

shogun
01-21-2005, 12:16 PM
and the -37 degrees says that your temperature sensor is out of order. Sits on the front in the grill. Either the sensor or the wire connection, sometimes just exydized or broken wire.
I also have the Bentley, in my case the one for the E32, which is more expensive but worth every penny.
You can use also my site, where there are a lot of links to repair pages, online wiring diagrams etc.

HTH

bimmerd00d
01-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Hi all,

I have just purchased a bmw 525i sport (£1250) 93L 186k miles in dark blue. I am well pleased with it and runs like a dream. I guess these cars should be bought on condition not mileage.
The only problems I have had is that i keep getting warning that the tail lights/Licence plate lights are out (LKM?) and that it is minus 37c.
I have purchased TIS and parts cat from ebay which is dissapointing also a haynes manual which doesn't cover M50 engine! Whats the Bentley one like, I have seen them for £36 inc delivery on Amazon, seems a bit steep?
This weekend I intend to carry out a full service, have purchased parts from German and Swedish, also service light reset tool by Draper for £15, I didn't fancy shorting out pins, sounds like recipe for disaster.

I bought the E34 Haynes for everything non-drivetrain, and bought the E36 for anything M50/Getrag related. Then realized the Bentley and TIS blew them outta the water

califblue
01-21-2005, 04:24 PM
The Bentley is the Equivalent of a Swiss ARMY Knife ;)

CrimsonBrian
01-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Its worth every single cent, or pence in your case. I am a mechanical idiot but have been able to make some simple repairs with the guidance offered in this book. Good luck!