PDA

View Full Version : Microfilter change -- I think I've been scammed

DallasBill
01-21-2005, 11:14 AM
My car has had that "can't open glove box" issue for a few weeks now and I have not had the time to work on it using the rest of the suggestions in a earlier thread here.

So, yesterday I had it in for Inspection II, and forgot to mention the glove box jam. I confirmed when I picked it up (just to make sure) that the microfilter had been changed.

So, I go to open the glove box this morning -- because as far as I know, the only way to replace the MF on this car is to remove it -- and it's still jammed shut!

I find it hard to believe it would be jammed shut again! So now I'm looking at how to approach this with the shop, without accusing them outright of not changing it.

Ideas??

duckloads
01-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Be nice!

Ask them, "Please show me how to open my glove box".

632 Regal
01-21-2005, 12:25 PM
first I would just ask them politely and then when they tell you yes, tell them about the glove box scenereo and then ask how did they do it without opening it? Then if they still insist they did tell them that you will be mighty pissed off if they didnt!

shogun
01-21-2005, 12:28 PM
I have never done it, because my car was built before the microfilter was introduced.
But had the same experience that the shop here had the microfilter on the invoice, when I had the car there for a service at a special price offer (usually I do all DIY).
Sent my wife there, she asked them if they can show here where the microfilter is installed in a 1988 E32, we would be glad to pay for it.

Was deducted red-faced. Turned out to be a mistake in the office where the invoices are made. They had for this a form sheet and just did a copy and paste for the invoice of my car.

here is the 'usual' way how to replace it. Maybe this official paper from BMW helps you. (http://v096431.dd2620.kasserver.com/hp1/fuer_erich/mikrofilter.pdf)

winfred
01-21-2005, 01:27 PM
you aint the only one, i am in the middle of installing a replacement head on a 90 525im, the owner bought from us a t-belt and tensioner about a month ago and took them to his mechanic to install, i guess he got ****ed cause it just ate the belt and destroyed the head (popped a rocker tower) and the belt looks old as the hills and is sheading teeth the tensioner is also broken (helped kill the belt, but it wouldn't of made the summer from the looks of it)

I find it hard to believe it would be jammed shut again! So now I'm looking at how to approach this with the shop, without accusing them outright of not changing it.

Ideas??

Dan in NZ
01-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Tell them they must have broken the glovebox when they took it out to replace the microfilter...

632 Regal
01-21-2005, 05:52 PM
Dan, your the man, I like that idea the best!!!!

DallasBill
01-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Telling 'em they must have broke the glove box is priceless!
Because if they say they didn't -- it was already like that and they did not do it -- means they didn't change the filter!

I'll report back Monday!

Cheers!

winfred
01-21-2005, 09:39 PM
ahhhh done and runs like a champ, even with 233,956 miles on it

i am in the middle of installing a replacement head on a 90 525im,

DallasBill
02-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Ok... here's where we are now...

Shop mechanic acknowledges that the glove box was jammed when I came in and they did not attempt to open it.

Shop also says that the microfilter can be replaced w/o removing the glovebox... just remove the panel behind it and the carpeted piece screwed on the upper footwell.

I have never done this -- and do not have my Bentley here at the office -- so can someone please clarify this? Everytime I have had this replaced, they have removed the glovebox. Bruno's site external link to the detailed procedure is now broken/gone.

Am I now being fed a line??

Javier
02-01-2005, 05:41 PM
sorry, guess it is not possible unless some covers and ducts are removed first. All of them require removing the glove box.

Did you feel the air flow improved after the filter change, believe me, it's very noticeable.

Ask them to pull out the Micro filter in your presence, without removing the glove box. It should come out in one piece without damage to the paper filter.

Javier

shogun
02-01-2005, 08:19 PM
I know from the German 7 series board that it is possible to do it without removing the glovebox (at least on an E32) the usual way.
Many people do not like to remove the glovebox cause it is difficult to fix it again,
here is a sketch
http://www.7-forum.com/forum/showthread.html?t=1346&highlight=filter

DallasBill
02-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Javier... thanks... that's what I thought... I shall return w/ this... and my Bentley's.

Shogun... thanks much, but I have a '94 E34 and your link does not apply.

We shall see... and in a way, I am not looking forward to doing this, because the shop has been good to me for the past 6 years.

shogun
02-01-2005, 11:24 PM
I am not sure if there is a big difference between the E32 and E34 glove box. But many items are same/similar.
For the E32 it was also always said, that the fliter cannot be replaced without removing the usual style the glovebox.
Cannot imagine that the shop wants to try to cheat you, cause you are a regular customer.
Only an oversight maxiumum.
But as you say it, you will discuss it with them in a friendly manner.
Also think, that you might loose face in their eyes when complaining and they proove you/we are wrong.

I bet it was done: 1 Snickers chocolate bar :D

Javier
02-02-2005, 06:13 AM
for Inspection II, invoicing people don't care what the shop guy could or couldn't do. Sure there was no intention to frame anybody. On the other hand, I find unacceptable that a BMW dealer shop, found a jammed glove box when attempting to change Micro filter and simply ignore it and turn the car back to its owner without fixing it, don't think it is the BMW style.

Javier

RIPN RAY
02-02-2005, 08:36 AM
i don't think it's possible....i think i'll try it this afternoon and see

DaCan23
02-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Doin filter w/o removin glovebox.... must be from the same people who claim to do a heater core replacement in under 2hrs.... lol... When I did my filter I could not imagine tryin to get that thing in there w/ the box attached... unless theres a new 2 piece or bendable filter...not!

632 Regal
02-02-2005, 01:25 PM
I just looked under the glove box, it kinda looks possible but without trying it I dont know for sure. Also looks to be easier in daylight! Man I have to clean this thing.

JonE
02-02-2005, 01:33 PM
[QUOTE=shogun]I am not sure if there is a big difference between the E32 and E34 glove box. But many items are same/similar.
For the E32 it was also always said, that the fliter cannot be replaced without removing the usual style the glovebox.

I think one difference in E32 and E34 gloveboxes is that the E32's had a "slide-out" feature. This does allow a E32 owner to replace the "sword" resistor without removing the glove box, they can just slide it forward, sorta like a drawer. At least my E34 doesn't slide out and I did have to remove the glove box to get to my "sword", which is in same proximity to the micro-filter equiped cars. I suppose there might be a way to get around it, but I'd have to take a closer look.

DallasBill
02-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Been travelling -- I'm going to try this on the weekend and see.

RIPN RAY... if you get a chance, let me know if you saw a way.

I remain suspicious, but don't want to look like a fool if I return. ;-)

shogun
02-14-2005, 01:55 AM
Here a nice pic that microfilter exchange is possible on an E32 750iL without removing the glovebox compartment cpl., just slide it forward and ask you nice wife or girlfriend which is slimmer than you ;)

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/davidc/DSC08584.JPG

Javier
02-14-2005, 07:07 AM
something like this, it only pivots down. For filter change, the problem is not the glove box itself, but the A/C duct partially covering the Micro filter slot. To take out the duct, you need to take out the left side trimming and the upper trimming, doing so without removing the glove box is picky, doing it without even opening it, is impossible.

Strictly following BMW procedure, it is tricky enough to change the microfilter without damaging the filter sealing sponge or the evaporator fins. To do it, fitting the filter from up and front, is not possible.

Javier

shogun
02-14-2005, 07:38 AM
as only from 06/1990 they were installed. This car is owned by David Cecil.
He just completed the whole procedure and made a very nice instruction with a lot of pics.

including the sword removal, click here. (http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/54597)

Javier
02-14-2005, 08:38 AM
change the micro filter without even opening the glove box.

You need to remove the A/C duct!

Javier

DallasBill
02-14-2005, 02:07 PM
I did not have a chance because it has been raining forever here and I do not have access to a garage.

Sometime this week.

But, shogun keep in mind: the box is jammed shut -- I cannot open it, let alone remove it!

632 Regal
02-14-2005, 02:29 PM
whats the story with the jammed glove box? is it locked? can you pull the latch deal? Maybe if you can you will have to pull it to one side or the other, I have to pull mine towards the driver seat or it wont open at all. I need new little plastic clip deals for the rear pivot points cause when it opens sometimes it falls off and makes a mess of my semi organized glove box.

NikonJeff
02-14-2005, 08:58 PM
I just did the microfilter on my 95 540 and it would be a miracle *if* you could do it with the glove box installed. First you have very little room to move around to begin with even with the glovebox out. Secondly it would be very difficult to remove the (2) screws holding the A/C duct work to the support plate behind the glovebox.

BTW, the Bentley manual sucks in not mentioning that you need to remove a black wiring box by simply squeezing a little lever to move the *freakin* thing out of the way so you can just simply pull the cover off the microfilter box! GEEEEEZ! Took me over 1/2 an hour and a second pair of eyes to find that boo-boo on the documentation.

What a mess too! leaves, twigs, pine needles etc - needed to vaccum the area out after we swapped the filter - went from a black filter to a shiny new white one :-)

Jeff Guntert
Schenectady, NY
95 540i 6spd
97 K1100LT

DallasBill
02-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Jeff B... the jammed glovebox is due to the latch clips being jammed or broken -- apparently it happens a lot and there's a thread on how to fix. But it's a royal PITA.

Due to my travel and the rain here I have not had time to get to it... or under there to see if I was scammed.

liquidtiger720
02-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Microfilters = yuck
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/liquidtiger720/DSC01504Medium.jpg

shogun
02-22-2005, 06:35 AM
Any news with regard to this subject?

From Bruno's page:
Unable to open the glove box Solution :
Slide under the glove box and you will find two snap latches connecting the back of the glove box to a metal rod (horizontal). Unsnap these two latches and the entire glove box will now be able to move forward by about 1/2".
This will allow you some space to access and manipulate the latch from the top right edge of the box. Use a long, thin flat blade and depress the latch. (I had to look at a new replacement piece to understand what part of the latch to depress).
With the glove box open, you will need to replace the latch. You will not need to replace the lock.