PDA

View Full Version : Rust and repair questions

chapmanw
01-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Hi,

I'm developing a spot of rust on the trunk. It's cold here and they use a lot of salt on the roads. Just wondering if there's any special process to touch up before I start this weekend.

I was just going to sand it down. Put a few coats of primer on then apply touch up paint. Is this the right way to go? It's a small spot of rust about the size of a dime or smaller.

thanks,

632 Regal
01-20-2005, 05:10 PM
make sure you get ALL the rust out of the oits or it will be back shortly!

John B.
01-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi,

I'm developing a spot of rust on the trunk. It's cold here and they use a lot of salt on the roads. Just wondering if there's any special process to touch up before I start this weekend.

I was just going to sand it down. Put a few coats of primer on then apply touch up paint. Is this the right way to go? It's a small spot of rust about the size of a dime or smaller.

thanks,

Unless you are going to blast (unlikely) or acid etch the rust spot you aren't going to kill the rust. Pick up some rust conversion primer or Rust Encapsulator (Por 15), remove as much of the rust as possible & apply the primer as directed. Paint does not cure much below 50* so unless you have a heat lamp just spot prime & wait for warm weather to make it pretty.

chapmanw
01-21-2005, 09:21 AM
thanks for the tips. btw, how long does it take for the paint to cure b/c i can take it to a heated garage for touch up

Unless you are going to blast (unlikely) or acid etch the rust spot you aren't going to kill the rust. Pick up some rust conversion primer or Rust Encapsulator (Por 15), remove as much of the rust as possible & apply the primer as directed. Paint does not cure much below 50* so unless you have a heat lamp just spot prime & wait for warm weather to make it pretty.

John B.
01-21-2005, 09:39 AM
thanks for the tips. btw, how long does it take for the paint to cure b/c i can take it to a heated garage for touch up

Depends what you are using for paint, how warm the metal is when applying it and what you mean by cure. A urethane paint can take months to fully cure even in normal temps unless baked. As far as getting the paint to set up so that its dry to the touch I'd recommend using a heat lamp to warm the sheet metal(not too hot) in the heated garage, apply whatever primer you're going to use & let it dry according to the mfgrs recommendations before topcoating. If you are using a urethane or lacquer top coat this could be critical to prevent lifting of the primer. If you are just touching up the color with some cheap enamel out of a spray can you should be able to topcoat as soon as the primer is dry to the touch. Some of the rust conversion primers are fussy about what they are top coated with so read the directions on which ever one you decide to use.