PDA

View Full Version : Erratic door locks

peterllo
01-20-2005, 12:20 PM
My door locks need the efforts of an exorcist.

They worked fine until I had the drivers door replaced. The mechanic swapped the acuator as part of the repair. When I got it back the remotes would either work or not work, work and unlock all but the drivers door, or the same but set the locks off on a cycle of unlocking and locking (29 times according to my wife) at the end of which they generally would be locked. When this happens the drivers door will lock and remain that way. Using the key did exactly the same.

At first I thought to reset the system as the Bentley's describes with the passenger door. However turing the key clockwise to a 90 degree angle not only unlocked or locked the door but set the system off on its lock unlock cycle as described above.

I pulled the door panel off, I can see the acuator sliding back and forth repeatedly. One of the two metal prongs sticking up under the acuator is bent, it looks like it not meant to be bent.

Any ideas?

shogun
01-20-2005, 08:48 PM
That is typical if the microswitches are not aligned properly.
They do not give the return signal to the general module (GM) that they closed.
So the 'brain' of the clever GM says, not locked and opens again, that the 'stupid' driver makes another try to close properly.
Try to realign the microswitch.
This 'return signal' thingy and opening again was deleted from GM's at a later date from somewhere in 1991 or so. I wrote the details before several times. Do a search for new GM.
About the doorlock microswitches you can also have a look on my page and then go to the link of Johan & Sean's page. Very detailed description with pics.

peterllo
01-21-2005, 10:39 AM
That is typical if the microswitches are not aligned properly.
They do not give the return signal to the general module (GM) that they closed.
So the 'brain' of the clever GM says, not locked and opens again, that the 'stupid' driver makes another try to close properly.
Try to realign the microswitch.
This 'return signal' thingy and opening again was deleted from GM's at a later date from somewhere in 1991 or so. I wrote the details before several times. Do a search for new GM.
About the doorlock microswitches you can also have a look on my page and then go to the link of Johan & Sean's page. Very detailed description with pics.
Thanks, I'll do it, first got to wait for our 2nd big snow of the season, 5" to 8" in DC is a big deal. LOL