PDA

View Full Version : new cat converter maybe?

nuwde
01-19-2005, 08:26 PM
hey guys,

I just started hearing a sound coming from underneath my car near the driver seat. It's kind of a rattling sound and only occurs if I'm going under 20 mph. After that I can't hear it anymore. Also, when I'm in Reverse the car gets real jumpy. Any ideas? I thought it might be the cat converter. Thanks in advance,

Edwin

shogun
01-19-2005, 08:35 PM
What car/engine/year/manual or auto trans do you have?
If you have a flex disk, this may be on the way out, or it is the center bearing for the drive shaft.
Go to my page below and then to e34.net and have a look on that repair page.

nuwde
01-19-2005, 08:47 PM
What car/engine/year/manual or auto trans do you have?
If you have a flex disk, this may be on the way out, or it is the center bearing for the drive shaft.
Go to my page below and then to e34.net and have a look on that repair page.

oops forgot. 92 525iA

nuwde
01-19-2005, 08:58 PM
shogun, that does sound like it could be the problem. But that is a lot of work and it is about 20 degrees here. I might have to take it to the shop. Thanks for the input. Could it be anything else?

Edwin

shogun
01-19-2005, 09:22 PM
but it is always difficult to make a diagnosis without seeing.
I once had the case that the screws from the center bearing got loose only and just needed to be fastened, or just a cover there got loose.
If it is that cold now in your area, bring it to a shop for a check. Car has to be lifted up anyway.
Will not be that expensive. The longer you wait, the more damage can come.

here is some info (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Maintenance/Transmission/CenterBearing.htm)

PS: you can add the car data in your user profile as I do, so it is much easier and you do not always have to mention the details. See on top under user cp.