PDA

View Full Version : Why???

granit_silber
01-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Why did BMW install a stupid MPG gauge in the cluster of the e34? Is it a redundant system placed there in the event that you can't read the trip computer's calculation?
Does anyone think the MPG gauge is stupid and a waste of space? I do.

So I want to change it to the Oil Temp gauge that I saw in the owner's manual.

So, here's my question:

Does anyone know
If that particular gauge is a seperate piece (or do I buy a new cluster)?
Was the Oil Temp gauge only offered on the M5?
Are the sensors embedded in the block or do they have to added?

Thanks. Sorry about the beginning, I'm feeling a little "ranty".
-ashley

zygoteer
01-19-2005, 06:15 PM
I am interested in a way to do this too ... surely someone has done this before ?

Bill R.
01-19-2005, 06:18 PM
mpg gauge in the cluster it gives the people who don't have an obc some idea of mileage.

Why did BMW install a stupid MPG gauge in the cluster of the e34? Is it a redundant system placed there in the event that you can't read the trip computer's calculation?
Does anyone think the MPG gauge is stupid and a waste of space? I do.

So I want to change it to the Oil Temp gauge that I saw in the owner's manual.

So, here's my question:

Does anyone know
If that particular gauge is a seperate piece (or do I buy a new cluster)?
Was the Oil Temp gauge only offered on the M5?
Are the sensors embedded in the block or do they have to added?

Thanks. Sorry about the beginning, I'm feeling a little "ranty".
-ashley

bimmerd00d
01-19-2005, 07:17 PM
i love that thing. i want to put VDO Vision gauges with oil press, oil temp, and battery voltage in a pod somewhere

Tron5
01-19-2005, 08:26 PM
I'm in one of those markets(European), my car only has the outside temp OBC. Nor does it have Check control. I agree on it being slightly useless, because I use to fill up the car and set the trip to zero and do the maths when i fill it up again. The idea of having a oil temp gauge, instead of km/l sounds nice.

shogun
01-19-2005, 08:32 PM
to read the real temp and not something which is not that important or unreal.
Go for example to www.bavauto.com
They have something on offer. Or the local aftermarket shops.
Just found for example this one here in Japan in the auction house on a pic from the E36
http://img159.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/5/9/2/4/bmw_mini_fmauction-img600x225-1105756608mvc-265s.jpg

GAGE308
01-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Damn Dude....LOL...Calm Down a Little....It'll Be ok....I happen to Think the Thing is benneficial to Drivers Pro and Not. To be able to glance down to see what the Fuel Consumption might be at a Bevy of different Times throughout the driving day...To somewhat Hone your efficient driving skills at certain times to acheive your optimum Fuel use per gallon. Instead of just using the traditional method of calculating your OVERALL MPG...with this in mind it has Probably helped MANY drivers to Lower their Overall gas usage by Controlling themselves at those certain Key points of speed change where they didnt realize there would be SUCH A CHANGE in MPG if a More Moderate acceleration. OR NOT...were used at that point..BUT...I Do think the Additional cluster package shown above MAY be your choice for adding the gauges you desire...Well anyway..Good luck ;-)

granit_silber
01-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Damn Dude....LOL...Calm Down a Little....It'll Be ok....I happen to Think the Thing is benneficial to Drivers Pro and Not. To be able to glance down to see what the Fuel Consumption might be at a Bevy of different Times throughout the driving day...To somewhat Hone your efficient driving skills at certain times to acheive your optimum Fuel use per gallon. Instead of just using the traditional method of calculating your OVERALL MPG...with this in mind it has Probably helped MANY drivers to Lower their Overall gas usage by Controlling themselves at those certain Key points of speed change where they didnt realize there would be SUCH A CHANGE in MPG if a More Moderate acceleration. OR NOT...were used at that point..BUT...I Do think the Additional cluster package shown above MAY be your choice for adding the gauges you desire...Well anyway..Good luck ;-)

Sorry Guys, long day - long week - long month.

I guess I understand the usefullness of the gauge now. (egg on my face) But coming from a car that routinely got over 30 mpg in the city, I' rather not know every time I'm getting less than 8 miles per gallon. I don't drive hard, in fact often I don't get the RPM's over 2500-2700 in my normal driving day; and since my thermostat doesn't work (replacing soon) oil temp is more important to me.
-ashley

Russell
01-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Plus, I think it looks ugly. However, It could my age showing! LOL

Go for example to www.bavauto.com (http://www.bavauto.com/)
Just found for example this one here in Japan in the auction house on a pic from the E36
http://img159.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/5/9/2/4/bmw_mini_fmauction-img600x225-1105756608mvc-265s.jpg

Mr Project
01-20-2005, 10:53 AM
I agree on the oil temp guage being nice. But hey, that little MPG gauge is fun. :) Keeps me from speeding, too...on my last long interstate trip, my wife was yelling at me to speed up and quit looking at that MPG guage!. Let's just say that's not usually what she's objecting to when I drive. :D

peterllo
01-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Go for example to www.bavauto.com

I thinks its' great! Coupled with no airbag its' a nice feature to plant your face into when you hit (or get hit) somebody! The coronor can at least say that the casue of death was to blunt force trauma to the face, but at least his oil pressure reading was good. :D

On OBC car it would have been nice to have that gage be an oil pressure gage though.

632 Regal
01-20-2005, 01:08 PM
I would be more concerned with oil pressure than oil temperature, if your oil got that hot to be concerned with the engine would have baked quite a while earlier.

Them side gages look retarded.

philbyil
01-20-2005, 02:48 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/Gauges.htm

:D :D

632 Regal
01-20-2005, 03:09 PM
much better

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-20-2005, 09:53 PM
I agree,

The MPG gauge does nothing for me, it just takes up valuable space that could have been used by a oil pressure gauge or Amp meter.

VDO used to offer bullet style pods for the small gauges. I had a couple mounted between the steering wheel and the dash on a Mazda Rx-2 at 10 & 2 O’clock. I wanted to avoid the pillar mounts because I would then have to also add a rear spoiler the size of goal post to complete the image.

Karl
01-20-2005, 11:34 PM
There was an article in the Roundel a couple years ago about getting the oil temp gage from Europe. I think the specific article covered the conversion on a 3-series, but it's the same gage.