PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Gasket Repair.

willobmw
01-18-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm pumping myself up to take on this repair before it gets worse. I know if I take my time and not be in a hurry to get back on the road to dust off some more unsuspecting drivers, I can pull it off.
Any problem areas to look out for. Also where is the crank seal or whatever you guys say that also leaks in relationship to the pan? I probably will do that also while I'm at it. Anything else? What type of gasket sealer should I use? I guess I can get all the parts I need from BMA.
Thanks,
Will Ollison
1990 535i

infinity5
01-18-2005, 08:08 PM
is chaning the oil pan gasket that hard? mines leaking as well, and so is the oil level sensor and i figured it'd be a breeze compared to any other work i've attempted on my m60.i wasn't even going look up any directions, i just figured i'd unbolt it, slap a new one on and bolt her back up. heh, you've got me worried now :)

although i was wondering about he gasket sealent as well... i've used permatex blue on everyhting else so... why not here!

I'm pumping myself up to take on this repair before it gets worse. I know if I take my time and not be in a hurry to get back on the road to dust off some more unsuspecting drivers, I can pull it off.
Any problem areas to look out for. Also where is the crank seal or whatever you guys say that also leaks in relationship to the pan? I probably will do that also while I'm at it. Anything else? What type of gasket sealer should I use? I guess I can get all the parts I need from BMA.
Thanks,
Will Ollison
1990 535i

632 Regal
01-18-2005, 08:20 PM
dont use any silicone based sealers on cork or rubberized gaskets, the stuff seeps out and gets into the oil pickup screen and besides it can make the gasket slide away from the area it is supposed to seal when tightened.

A few people use stuff called permatex "hylomer" (sp?) I have used permadeals spray tack gasket crap for a million years, not gooey and helps hold gaskets in place on real stupid jobs. Spray one side, let it dry a couple minutes and then flip and spray again.. I usually spray both sides and rotate it a bit and finish up. My fingers get a good dose too but that helps me hold onto small bolts.

:D

willobmw
01-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Infinity5, Ok it is the oil level sensor. I remember now. Where is it located? The oil pan looks like a straight forward job though. Looks like you need to use an extension to reach the bolts. Regal, Thanks for the the tip on the gasket sealer. I work on the 2002 and the E12 all the time. I don't know why I let the e34 intimidate me.
Thanks Guys,
Will

winfred
01-18-2005, 08:52 PM
the lower pan on a v8 is easy as theres nothing in the way, if you drop the pan check the oil pump bolts, they are well known to loosen and or fall out all together

is chaning the oil pan gasket that hard? mines leaking as well, and so is the oil level sensor and i figured it'd be a breeze compared to any other work i've attempted on my m60.i wasn't even going look up any directions, i just figured i'd unbolt it, slap a new one on and bolt her back up. heh, you've got me worried now :)

although i was wondering about he gasket sealent as well... i've used permatex blue on everyhting else so... why not here!

winfred
01-18-2005, 09:01 PM
the m30 pan is a pain but not real hard, you need to jack up the motor 3-4" and once you lower the pan unbolt the oil pump and drop it into the pan, then you have room to pull it out, use red locktight on the oil pump sprocket nut, i can't remember if it's reverse thread, the m50's reverse but i am not sure on the m30 it's been a while since i've done one

Infinity5, Ok it is the oil level sensor. I remember now. Where is it located? The oil pan looks like a straight forward job though. Looks like you need to use an extension to reach the bolts. Regal, Thanks for the the tip on the gasket sealer. I work on the 2002 and the E12 all the time. I don't know why I let the e34 intimidate me.
Thanks Guys,
Will

infinity5
01-18-2005, 09:57 PM
yeah, it looked pretty straight forward, thanks for the tip, i had read about that oil pump thing, glad you reminded me.

the lower pan on a v8 is easy as theres nothing in the way, if you drop the pan check the oil pump bolts, they are well known to loosen and or fall out all together

willobmw
01-19-2005, 12:02 AM
Thanks Winfred. I will get one of my friends to help. I need to order the parts.
Will

winfred
01-19-2005, 12:26 AM
i just put a wood block on top of each motor mount to hold it up, ether take the fan clutch off or the fan shroud so that they don't break as the motor comes up

Thanks Winfred. I will get one of my friends to help. I need to order the parts.
Will

willobmw
01-19-2005, 03:49 PM
After reading Bentley I was overwhelmed again. You make it sound much easier. Now If I could just master the art of cloning. Beware the next time you make a trip to Winchester. :p

Willo