PDA

View Full Version : M50 Crankshaft

Spud
01-18-2005, 01:25 PM
My 92 525 M50 engine is getting a little tired. I'd like to buy a used engine and recondition it myself. I've done this before on other European engines so I think I'll be OK, but I do have a couple of questions before I spent a weekend getting a replacement from a breaker:-

1/ My cars a manual and I've heard conflicting information regarding the cranks in the manual and auto trans engine. Are they the same or completely different?

2/ I've also purchased a Bentley manual which is a wealth of information but completely lacking in bottom end detail. Does this mean that the prospect of reconditioning the bottom end of this engine is so daunting that no one wants to attempt it? This doesn't seem reasonable to me...

Any advise would be appreciated.

Spud :)

bjl4776
01-18-2005, 03:51 PM
I don't know anything about rebuilding a bottom end, but i do have a perfectly good running M50 that i just pulled out of my totalled 92 525im yesterday. If your interested let me know.

winfred
01-18-2005, 08:35 PM
same crank and same engine between stick and auto, the pilot bearing is lightly pressed into the back end of the crank, you can put one in with a hammer and a socket or remove it with a slide hammer or, duh a pilot bearing puller

Dave M
01-18-2005, 09:44 PM
I don't know anything about rebuilding a bottom end, but i do have a perfectly good running M50 that i just pulled out of my totalled 92 525im yesterday. If your interested let me know.

let me know if I need to send you an e-mail,

Dave M