PDA

View Full Version : Reserve light won't come on (bulb works)

infinity5
01-18-2005, 01:20 PM
so like the title says, my reserve light won't come on when i'm running low on gas (i've gotten it realllll low before), but when i start the car every morning it lights up along with everything else for a second or two. it also lights up when i use the check control knob to do an instument cluster test. any ideas? i was thinking maybe a fuse or something.. the actual gas gague seems to be pretty darn accurate, and the OBC pretty accurate except it consistantly over estimates my range when the tank is near full.

632 Regal
01-18-2005, 02:20 PM
run it till it runs out and then see if the light goes out, take a can of gas with you. there is a reserve of gas set below what the OBC "sees" so people dont see BMWs dead on the side of the road. I never saw mine either but also try not to ever get below an eith of a tank. I was on empty before on a run where there were no gas stations and obc was at like 5 miles when I found a station. No light yet either.

Mr Project
01-18-2005, 02:42 PM
I've had the light come on a few times. When it did I put over 19 gallons in, and the manual lists the capacity at 21.4 US Gallons, so I figure it comes on at around 2 gallons left.

infinity5
01-18-2005, 03:29 PM
thanks guys. i might just trying running it out with a tank of gas in the trunk. i'm sure fuel pumps aren't THAT hard to replace :D. it would definatly be nice to get more range out of my car.. i hate filling up. i almost wonder about expanding a gas tank.. just welding more capacity on somewhere... heh. *boom*

did you know BMW makes a gas tank thing? its in the ETK in some dark hidden corner.. they make a baby carriage as well.. umbrella.. ahhaha its great :) i want all the accesories!

Javier
01-18-2005, 04:21 PM
quite easy, and never has refill more than 18.5 gallons. The Light does not have to do with the OBC or the Gauge, I mean, it is not calculated from there, but there is a separate switch in the Fuel sender unit that turn it on. I'm sure there is a post that talk about the Sender unit repair, and shows this switch in some picture.

Don't like the idea of leaving the gas to run out, gas pump is refrigerated by means of the fuel flow.

Javier

Mr Project
01-18-2005, 04:53 PM
You'll find that welding additional capacity onto the plastic fuel tank is especially hard. :)

shogun
01-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Her info how it works on the E32.

click (http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/fuel_sender/fuel_sender.html)

ukm5
01-18-2005, 09:02 PM
You'll find that welding additional capacity onto the plastic fuel tank is especially hard. :)

they wernt all plastic, i thought plastic was only an option for the winter option pack for cold climates, like uk...

Mr Project
01-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Ahh...you might be right! I just know mine is plastic, so I assumed they all were. I see now in the ETK that they list both....must have been optional!