PDA

View Full Version : Trailing arm or Spring

jj7
01-18-2005, 01:09 PM
My 94 525i, got this uneven problem since i bought.when i i stand at the back of the car the left side of it is lower than the right side,one balance repair guy said it could be the rear left trailng arm,he did some measuring and compared it to the right side of the car...besides the car pulls to the left and there is a toe in for the rear-left tyre...last night i was reading about the springs,and an article was saying that a fatigued spring could cause the same problem,i have no mechanical record of the car,so i guess the original spring is the original that came with the car.I checked the bushings i can`t see any wear or damage on them,furthermore,when comparing the rear wheels i feel the left side is bit more outwards in terms of its angle,which causes the wear from the inside.
in your opinions,is it better to go for the trailing arm or the spring,any ideas are very appreciated.
jj

uberhahn
01-18-2005, 02:53 PM
seems to me that if it is a height problem the spring is a likely cause. afterall, the spring keeps the body up... maybe the spring seats are worn/bent...just ideas...

p_gill
01-18-2005, 11:35 PM
JJ,

My reccomendation is to swap the coil over shock from the left side to the right side.

Measure the ride height before and after and see if the drop moves with the spring in which case you probably need new springs.

If it doesn't move with the spring then the problem is in the control arm.

Good Luck

Paul

89 535ia

jj7
01-19-2005, 03:20 AM
JJ,

My reccomendation is to swap the coil over shock from the left side to the right side.

Measure the ride height before and after and see if the drop moves with the spring in which case you probably need new springs.

If it doesn't move with the spring then the problem is in the control arm.

Good Luck

Paul

89 535ia
thnx guys,i liked the ideas...what i forgot to mention is that when the car is lifted up on a hydraulic jack,the left wheel is for sure not even with the right side, what bugs me is that when changing the spring ,half of the job for replacing the trailing arm is done,so while there it would be better to get them both...am thinking of buying a used trailing arm...got my point ;)
still,i appreciate your ideas
jj