PDA

View Full Version : The "your lights are on" buzzer. Should I miss it, or is it just a pain in the ass?

NielsGalan
01-18-2005, 04:43 AM
I have discovered a speaker-like contraption under the dash, which I suppose is the gong or buzzer for when you leave the car with the lights on.

Now I like it when everything works, but I have a feeling, that this little thingy can be an annoying pain in the ass.

What does it do? Is it only there to warn me about the lights? Any suggestions on wether to fix it or not?

Thanks.
Niels

shogun
01-18-2005, 05:06 AM
Another function is the "Bong" when the outside temp. reaches + 3.5 degree C. and that you should drive carefully.
Have not yet checked in the wiring diagrams if even the windshield heater (the area for the wiper blade heating) and the door lock heater are also somehow connected to the temp. feeler in the front.
In addition you will not get any audible warnings from the check control, low oil level, low oil pressure, wash water low level etc.
Would not eliminate it.
Fix the probs, that's the right way. This little thingy is like a watchdog for your and 'barks' when your car is not feeling healthy.

Mr Project
01-18-2005, 08:49 AM
I accidentally left it disconnected a couple months ago when I was working down there. It was nice not to have the 'dong' when my washer fluid low warning came up every 10 minutes. :) But, I also left my lights on a couple of times since I was apparently depending on that warning!

Yesterday I fixed the washer fluid sensor, and hooked up the speaker again. I'm glad it's back. It's worth keeping IMO.

shogun
01-18-2005, 09:33 AM
Have the same alarm, tank is full.
Already removed the wire connector from the sensor and sprayed some contact spray, but did not work.
Is that sensor repairable? Or just a new one?
Don't want to touch it now, too cold for that small prob, but maybe I already should order a new sensor if necessary.
Thanks

Mr Project
01-18-2005, 09:47 AM
If you look at the sensor closely, there is a small metal rod in the 'float'. In my case the metal rod was corroded and in pretty bad shape. I tried to clean it up, sand it down, but I lost it, and then tried to cut a bolt down to the right size and use that instead. It worked about 10% of the time. :) So I just bought a new sensor from BMA for about $25.

bahnstormer
01-18-2005, 11:12 AM
it'll bong on any error...you should keep it.

John B.
01-18-2005, 11:13 AM
I have discovered a speaker-like contraption under the dash, which I suppose is the gong or buzzer for when you leave the car with the lights on.

Now I like it when everything works, but I have a feeling, that this little thingy can be an annoying pain in the ass.

What does it do? Is it only there to warn me about the lights? Any suggestions on wether to fix it or not?

Thanks.
Niels

The speaker is handy to have & also can be pretty annoying. I solved the problem by wrapping it with a few layers of duct tape which lowered the tone. Now I get a nice low tone that isn't annoying.

JonE
01-18-2005, 02:12 PM
"The speaker is handy to have & also can be pretty annoying. I solved the problem by wrapping it with a few layers of duct tape which lowered the tone. Now I get a nice low tone that isn't annoying."

Wow, what a great idea! That is my next non-critical project, I jump everytime that low temp.gong goes off!

tim
01-18-2005, 02:17 PM
I jump too when the temp sensor goes off, but the lights thing has saved my bacon many times. One of our more electrically minded members should come up with an automatic delay mechanism to shut the lights off, but until then, leave it alone.

Robin-535im
01-18-2005, 02:35 PM
How was the R&I? I looked at the beast but didn't see how it came out... does it pop out or is there a fastener you have to remove?

That's the only warning I have on my OBC right now and I'd love to clear it out. How hard was it to do / what did you need to do?

TIA,

Robin

Robin-535im
01-18-2005, 02:38 PM
such a polite car. Not "lights on, bozo!" but rather "excuse me sir, could you have left the lights on?"

Mr Project
01-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I like how the lights are a question but when the outside temp is low enough it's a flashing, dinging warning party! Thanks, I didn't notice when I walked to the car that it was -10 degrees! :)

NielsGalan
01-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Well I haven't got the fancy check control display that you have (and judging by this forum I don't give a f***, he he) so I assume, that the only function would be the "lights" warning. I already have the "gong" in the clock, which also displays the temperature ...

Paul in NZ
01-18-2005, 06:20 PM
i have just about every option(std euro sport) but the one thing i dont have(and every other car in living memeory has) is the lights on warning,Gurus can i retrofit,i think it was an option on my car

Scott C
01-18-2005, 06:29 PM
i have just about every option(std euro sport) but the one thing i dont have(and every other car in living memeory has) is the lights on warning,Gurus can i retrofit,i think it was an option on my car

Mine has the lights on warning display but after leaving the lights on 3 times (display is not greatly obvious when leaving the car) and sucking the battery dry, I put in a relay to automatically turn off the lights when the ignition is off...

Scott

ukm5
01-18-2005, 08:05 PM

you need the luxury LKM module to enable lights on warning, you probably wont have it, it will say on it LKM-L or LKM-B for basic as most have

infinity5
01-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Scott- how would one go about doing this? i'm about as electrically inclined as.... a brick. but having the lights come and on an off with the ingition would be neat.

i hear thats how it works over in europe, correct me if i'm wrong, but you guys have day running lights standard on most automobiles?

hmm if i could do that i could just take the light switch completly off.. never think about it again.

Mine has the lights on warning display but after leaving the lights on 3 times (display is not greatly obvious when leaving the car) and sucking the battery dry, I put in a relay to automatically turn off the lights when the ignition is off...

Scott

ukm5
01-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Scott- how would one go about doing this? i'm about as electrically inclined as.... a brick. but having the lights come and on an off with the ingition would be neat.

i hear thats how it works over in europe, correct me if i'm wrong, but you guys have day running lights standard on most automobiles?

hmm if i could do that i could just take the light switch completly off.. never think about it again.

in the uk they do turn off to a degree but leave the sidelights on, this is what drains the battery - you cant disable this as you will have no sidelights, which are needed for mot tests in the uk and also you may need it to come on with no engine running/keys in ignition.

shogun
01-18-2005, 08:34 PM
http://www.bavauto.com/assets/product_images/hardpart/61311388578.jpg
Part Number Description Price
61 31 1 388 578 Washer Level Sender
$24.95

Looks like it is just popped in. Can't see any screw.

Mr Project
01-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Nice pic. Yep, just pops in the side. There's a rubber gasket that holds it in.

Robin-535im
01-19-2005, 12:49 PM
I'll put one on my next BMA order.

doogie
01-19-2005, 12:56 PM
I've got a 520 which doesn't make any noise when lights are left on... infact I was going to have a look to see if I could retrofit something.... does anyone know for sure if I've got the functionality and just a PO has disconnected it/ it's broken, or whether it was never a feature of my car?

I've got the analogue clock, no temperature display and the old gauges before the lcd ones came out... :(

ukm5
01-19-2005, 01:16 PM
I've got a 520 which doesn't make any noise when lights are left on... infact I was going to have a look to see if I could retrofit something.... does anyone know for sure if I've got the functionality and just a PO has disconnected it/ it's broken, or whether it was never a feature of my car?

I've got the analogue clock, no temperature display and the old gauges before the lcd ones came out... :(

you cant disconnect it or you would have no lights! as i say previously if you have the L version of the LKM then you have a lights on warning otherwise its the B version and you dont, there were slight differences to this on later years as i think it was built into the speedo cluster but most likely your situation is the previous.

doogie
01-20-2005, 08:09 AM
By PO disconnecting it, I meant PO disconnecting the warning sounder, not the LKM... :)

I had a poke today at lunchtime and..... I can't find my LKM!

I popped open the main fuse / relay box where Bentley shows it, and all that is there where it should be are empty relay banks... I also had a look in the other fuse/relay box beside that and the E-box..... I'm guessing it might be under the rear seat, but if it isn't there then I'm stuck as to where I'll find it! LOL!

tdgard
01-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Mine was doing the same thing but I found that it rotated (probably bumped it) to where it was pointing at the bumper & was giving false readings. Bit easier than replacing :D

myles
01-22-2005, 05:10 PM
I just managed to get the "lights on?" message to start working on my car by using a different Check Control Module. My car had one of the yellow top ccms(61 35 1 384 603) which is the oldest and I upgraded it to the ccm with the black top(61 35 1 379 379) and now I get "Lights On" and "Door Open" which never used to happen. I still use my original LKM-B.

I also tried an even newer CCM but it didn't work properly.

Paul in NZ
01-22-2005, 05:28 PM
nt

632 Regal
01-22-2005, 06:09 PM
I like that dong sound when I least expect it.

myles
01-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Well Im all out of ideas :p

What is the part number on your CCM?

Paul in NZ
01-23-2005, 01:25 AM
What is the part number on your CCM?

who you talking to Myles??

Yeah jeff me too.The very first time i drove a e34 on the test drive i got stuck in a traffic jam cos of some road works..the temp was beginning to creep up as the time came up to 10 59.......i just about c...d my self,
.Whenever that <ding> goes off my metabolism triples...........

E34-520iSE
01-23-2005, 09:31 AM
I too have a UK 520i (1990) like Doogie's and it has the warning gong fitted. I have never heard it make a sound in over a year now. Is there a module somewhere that controls the gong? Why was it fitted but never wired up?

Cheers,

Shaun