PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new car.

bjl4776
01-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Since i just totalled me 92 525i i need to look for a new car. I love the e34 and really want to find a 535im, but im thinking of an e36 325is. Anybody have any experience with these? Any problems i have to look out with the e36's, or any other suggestions of a car that would satisfy me after owning an e34?

bimmerd00d
01-17-2005, 09:28 PM
i like the E34 much more. e36 feels cheap compared to it.

Interceptor
01-18-2005, 02:24 AM
Since i just totalled me 92 525i i need to look for a new car. I love the e34 and really want to find a 535im, but im thinking of an e36 325is. Anybody have any experience with these? Any problems i have to look out with the e36's, or any other suggestions of a car that would satisfy me after owning an e34?
There is a popular saying in my country and it goes something like this: from horse to a donkey :)

Stick with the E34 - even E46 looks cheap compared to it.

Mr Project
01-18-2005, 09:03 AM
A good friend has a '94 325is.

It's much lighter, more responsive, and faster than my 535im. But I wouldn't trade him for anything. :)

The interior on the E36 really doesn't wear well, they are basically all falling apart now. The car also just doesn't have any room! The back seat is very, very tight, and the trunk is very small.

IMO if a car is going to have tiny worthless backseats, it should just not have them at all, and be a true sports car, like an RX-7 or M Coupe. Otherwise it seems like a pointless comprimise.

It is quicker, though, and if you are looking for a car to race on the weekends or something, it would be much better suited to that than an E34.

bahnstormer
01-18-2005, 09:33 AM
e30 is a cool choice

Jason
01-18-2005, 10:35 AM
dare i say an E39? I just drove the 535 from NY to VA and back this weekend and it was awesome, but i think it might be a little nicer in the E39 (I'm only going by the quick trips that i have taken in them before). But, it sounds like youre looking for a smaller car. I personally would go w/ an E30 or E46 before an E36 unless youre considering an ///M which i think would be a great daily driver.

bjl4776
01-18-2005, 03:55 PM
The reason i would move down to an e36 is because of the ability for it to be a good track car. This car probably won't be my daily driver for more than two years, after that ill probably be able to afford an e34 M5 or such.

Sean H
01-18-2005, 09:04 PM
The reason i would move down to an e36 is because of the ability for it to be a good track car. This car probably won't be my daily driver for more than two years, after that ill probably be able to afford an e34 M5 or such.

Don't understimate the E34 as a track car. I did pretty well for myself in my old '92 535i during track events (passing many an M3 and the like). A little gearing change in the back, strip it all out, and you'll have a car that can hang with the 3's. One of the top guys in BMW club racing is running an E28 (slightly modified, of course :) )
I've often thought about it: a 535 weighs in at 3500# vs 3200# for an E36 325is. I wonder how the two compare race-prepped? It would seem to me that there's a lot of sound deadening material in the 5 not present in the 3 that could make up for some of that extra weight.
Of course, this is only considering weight, the E36 probably has some advantages in terms of suspension and steering (rack and pinion v. recirculating ball).
We all know which one would look better out there, though :)
Sean H
'89 535i
'84 318i

Paul in NZ
01-19-2005, 01:26 AM
if you really want en e34 m5 i would get one now...they aint getting any younger.....

Dan in NZ
01-19-2005, 02:39 AM
e46's are getting cheaper every minute... Could be worth looking into.

herman maire
01-19-2005, 09:01 PM
If youre interested
I owned the e36 325is 2 times a 92 and 94 a couple of years ago. Both were mint original cars not beaters
I set them Both with doing some trac time (never managed to get to it) both had
H&R Race Springs and Bilstiens
both were incredible cars, pretty hard to beet when it comes to handling and steering response waaay better than a e30 me thinks
these cars can smoke a lot of expensive sport cars with the right power. Awsome handlind.
The only problem I had was with the motors and tranny and ect.....
Moved up to this after my e28 535is tank
1- 94 Didnt have the compression checked ( usually always have checked ) No good garagehad time and car ran awsome so I figured I would use my incredibly good judgement and go on gut feeling and bought it( that payed off) got home checked it #1-5 190psi #6 110psi My first taste of M50
bailed sold it BYE BYE
VANOS was also making some interesting noises too

2- 92 On the 92 my first trip home with the car after I bought the car and had the car inspected everything was perfect I blew a valve( couldnt figure out why I had a rough idle until another compression test 110psi instead of 195psi (Thinks I finds the problems.This is bad #$#$$%# luck or what. A few weeks later the second gear syncro started to crunch (beautiful sound of crunching gears cant beat it)
%$??&? M50 This is tooooo much
Sold that one after I fixed the cylinder head every garage said they never saw a M50 break a valve, Now ya did ( and I didnt over rev it Foool)
I figured I would have better luck with non VANOS guesse not

Whent back to M30 power e34 535im 180kmiles less than half the price and not a friking problem love this car
every time I drive this car It feels like a car half the size (big Big smile)
the only thing I miss is the steering response and maybe a few other things

I hope this response is not too long. Both cars are awsome hope you have better luck if you go e36 stay away from early 328 I think the have bore problems also.

Hope this helps.

bjl4776
01-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the long post, it helps to hear the perspective from someone that has owned both an e34 and an e36. I loved me e34 and had the m50 in it and had no problems. I am looking for a car that handles well and i know the e34 can hold its own but the e36 is going to be better for a track car. I don't think ill be able to make up my mind any other way. I feel bipolar thinking about what im going to get because one day I want to get an e36 that will make an excellent track car and still has the comforts of a BMW, but on the other hand I know that an e34 is going to be more comfortable than an e36 and that I love the way the handle and feel even though they are pretty heavy and I have experience with them already and know all of the ups and downs of them. Im probably going to make up my mind when i find a deal that i can't pass up. Thanks for all of the input.