PDA

View Full Version : Why wont my blasted locks sync?!?!?

CrimsonBrian
01-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Hey guys,
My locks are out of sync, passenger side has a mind of its own. I realize this is a well travelled subject but I am having problems with the fix. My locks will not turn more than one click to the right or the left (about 30 degrees). This will lock and unlock the doors but it will not resync them. I am really scared to crank hard on the key and have it snap off in the lock. I have applied some pretty strong pressure and it will not twist farther than that. This is the same for the both passenger and drivers side. The trunk is the only lock that will rotate all around. This is a 1995 525i. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Brian

Sean H
01-18-2005, 12:50 AM
Add some graphite lube to the lock cylinder and see if that helps any. Otherwise, you may have an actuator on the way out (had one die in my car back in the fall).

shogun
01-18-2005, 12:57 AM
such as doorlock microswitch, doorlock bracket etc.

on Johan and Sean's page (http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/)

CrimsonBrian
01-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Great, thanks guys! I'll give it a try and hope it works. I would be delighted if it were just some sticky locks. And what would be a symptom of an actuator dying? The lock will go up and down if I use the key, it just wont do it with the remote unlock. Thanks!

Brian

Elekta
01-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Check also your wiring to the trunk lock. If those wires are frayed and shorting, they could be bumping the actuator and unlocking your doors too.

Javier
01-18-2005, 05:22 PM
In my car, the front door locks has a two stage locking cylinder. The first stage pull down the knobs and as a result, lock the car, but the alarm system and the latch locked doors do not engage. This means that I can pull up the knob manually and open the door. The second stage activates the alarm system, latch locked the doors, it means I can not pull up the knobs manually, and also, if sustained in this second position, car will lift up windows and close sunroof.

I have never have such thing as unsynchronized locks, some times one of the refuses to work, and I have identified that as poor connections to that door actuator, but never have had one popping up when the rest are popping down, or vice versa.

Is my car the Mars version? or it is pretty common to be that way.

Javier

Bill R.
01-18-2005, 06:30 PM
synch when you mess around with them, but yours will synch by turning all the way unlike his later model... Later models doublelock on the first stage and there is no second stage on locking them.

The Melmaan
01-19-2005, 12:44 AM
A quick question. I also have the same problem and also bit worst. My driver's door locks only goes up 3/4 up. The rest of the locks are not activated. The rear locks don't go up at all. When I open the passenger side, it sometimes unlocks the driver side (intermittent) I tried so many times to sync but it does not work. In any case, my question is: How will I know if the culprit is not the Central Locking System?
Thanks !!!!!

infinity5
01-19-2005, 01:05 AM
ah! awesome.. i always wondered why my locks only had two positons when bentley insisted they had others.. i always was anger i couldn't double lock the doors manually.. but your saying on our cars the locks double lock at the first lock positione very time?

shogun
01-19-2005, 01:18 AM
The features/modifications to the old one was:

-Repeat and time interlock for headwashers, time interlock 3 min.
-headlight washing pump at fifth windshield washing after time interlock
-intensiv washing pump operating at reduced time from 3 to 2 seconds
-minimum interval for wipers reduced to 2 from 3 seconds (programmmable)
-increased wiper contact pressure during windshield washing now also provided

-previously the GM would react opposing signals (e.g. an unlock signal while trying to lock, as with a defective microswitch) by carrying out the first command (e.g. locking, followed immediately by unlocking). Repeating the first command then results in carrying out the command, e.g. try to lock again, and locking is now carried out. This function (Asynchronious Position)is omitted in the NEW GM.
-After unlocking is performed due to crash sensor activiation, the locking command is now reactivated by double-locking with the key from either side (driver or passenger door).
-The one-touch operation of windows has been expanded to all 4 windows in opening direction. Drivers side has one touch in both directions
Sunroof is not already in the tilt position.
-switch off delay of the interior lights after entering the vehicle and closing the driver's door reduced from 20 to 15 seconds.
-------------------------------------------
So the old one popped up the doorlocks when there was for example a defective microswitch.

Javier
01-19-2005, 10:59 AM
pop up if after issuing a lock command, one of then does not follow. (Think it only happens with front doors, and probably trunk, as they are the ones with sensing Micro switch).

Javier

Javier
01-19-2005, 10:59 AM
when says that there is no more than 30 degrees travel for the key, and he fears to brake it apart!!!

Something else should be the problem, not a sticky lock!!

Javier

Bill R.
01-19-2005, 12:10 PM
others you can only do the synch. process from the passenger side handle on a US car.. Did you try locking it from the passenger side handle then lifting the handle and trying to turn the key further with the handle lifted.. I don't know if that will work or not but its worth trying.

Hey guys,
My locks are out of sync, passenger side has a mind of its own. I realize this is a well travelled subject but I am having problems with the fix. My locks will not turn more than one click to the right or the left (about 30 degrees). This will lock and unlock the doors but it will not resync them. I am really scared to crank hard on the key and have it snap off in the lock. I have applied some pretty strong pressure and it will not twist farther than that. This is the same for the both passenger and drivers side. The trunk is the only lock that will rotate all around. This is a 1995 525i. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Brian

Bill R.
01-19-2005, 12:16 PM
sych. process has stayed the same or not. Or if it only takes 30 degrees to synch. Here's the note on the newer doorlock

http://www.bimmernut.com/~billr/images/centrallocking1.jpg

when says that there is no more than 30 degrees travel for the key, and he fears to brake it apart!!!

Something else should be the problem, not a sticky lock!!

Javier