PDA

View Full Version : How to clean throttle body ,M50tu??

Russell
01-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Looked in the archives, checked my Bentley and no real informmation on how to clean the throttle body on a 95 525i M50TU. Perhaps I missed something. Anyone have any advice on safe method and what cleaning materials to use? TIA

winfred
01-16-2005, 09:35 PM
carb cleaner a brush and a rag, if you have traction control it may be easyer to remove the throttle body and clean it from the back side, so far i haven't had any problems with reusing the o-ring, you should be able to keep the cables/water lines atached and just drop it down enough to get at the back side

Looked in the archives, checked my Bentley and no real informmation on how to clean the throttle body on a 95 525i M50TU. Perhaps I missed something. Anyone have any advice on safe method and what cleaning materials to use? TIA

Russell
01-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Is carb cleaner compatible with the oxygen sensor and catalyst?
Is therre anyting in the throttle body that can be easily damaged?
How often should the throttle body be cleaned?

TIA

carb cleaner a brush and a rag, if you have traction control it may be easyer to remove the throttle body and clean it from the back side, so far i haven't had any problems with reusing the o-ring, you should be able to keep the cables/water lines atached and just drop it down enough to get at the back side

Bill R.
01-17-2005, 10:09 AM
be on the safe side since not all carb cleaners are O2 sensor safe. Stp throttle body cleaner works quite well, evaporates without residue. The TPS can be easily damaged by the cleaner if you go crazy with it.. Thats why i just Spray it down and wipe it away right away. As Winfred said on your Asc+T car it might be easier to unbolt the throttle body and get at the backside..

Is carb cleaner compatible with the oxygen sensor and catalyst?
Is therre anyting in the throttle body that can be easily damaged?
How often should the throttle body be cleaned?

TIA

Russell
01-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Thanks-will take care