PDA

View Full Version : Locked Down???

Larry530i
01-15-2005, 12:14 PM
I have '95 530i, just got it a month ago, drives & runs great. I have been using the OBC for anti theft...the other night I punch in my CODE...then the following morning when tried to start the car, the OBC did not ask for CODE, so I went on to start the engine...won't crank...checked Display Control...the radio works , on the OBC only time is displayed ...read some posting on the net...disconnected the battery for 15 min...plug it back ... now the OBC displays PPPP and Radio displays CODE(I have the code)but cannot do anything, Found out when I turn the key to 2 position the fuel gauge doesn't indicate any level...I also found out that it has a factory remote keyless entry module (which the former owner did not know,2nd owner), but it doesn't have the chip,...checked on the fuses(fr Bentley Service Manual) fuse # 1, 15, 17, 20 & 29 , & fuse # 33 under the rear seat...they are all OK...tried to reseat them though...need your help...Thanks in advance :)

shogun
01-15-2005, 01:04 PM
respectively it does not work when someone tries to start the car.

Have you tried to enter date and time on the BC? Maybe then the PPPP is gone.
On the E32 there is a 'secret' fuse for the anti theft system and it is also connected to the BC. If the BC does not show any power, look for this fuse under the rear seat.
It's from the German 7er.com, so language is German, but pics will do

click here (http://www.7-forum.com/forum/showthread.html?t=23130&highlight=Dunkel)

Larry530i
01-15-2005, 01:49 PM
respectively it does not work when someone tries to start the car.

Have you tried to enter date and time on the BC? Maybe then the PPPP is gone.
On the E32 there is a 'secret' fuse for the anti theft system and it is also connected to the BC. If the BC does not show any power, look for this fuse under the rear seat.
It's from the German 7er.com, so language is German, but pics will do

click here (http://www.7-forum.com/forum/showthread.html?t=23130&highlight=Dunkel)

With PPPP displayed on the OBC I can not do anything. I think the OBC is powered up because PPPP is displayed...How do I check though if the OBC is powered up? I might be wrong....thanks Shogun

shogun
01-15-2005, 02:07 PM
PPPP means it has power. If no power, all is dead. PPPP also means that it cannot communicate with the check control. Just a shot in the dark: remove the CCM (the module in the fuse box, CCM is written on the top) and spray the contacts with a good electr. contact spray, same do with the connections on the BC.
In any case you have to reset time and date.

Good Luck

Larry530i
01-15-2005, 02:31 PM
PPPP means it has power. If no power, all is dead. PPPP also means that it cannot communicate with the check control. Just a shot in the dark: remove the CCM (the module in the fuse box, CCM is written on the top) and spray the contacts with a good electr. contact spray, same do with the connections on the BC.
In any case you have to reset time and date.

Good Luck

I tried what you suggested but still no luck...thanks again ...Shogun

infinity5
01-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Here, has anyone posted this link yet? Its a tiny confusing at first, but its really interesting. theres stuff about the PPPP thing there. And while someone mentioned cleaned the contacts on the CCM, why not pop out the OBC too just for fun. theres a button behind the radio to pop it out. its worth a try.

read this

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_35.htm

good luck. search the forums too, you might find something

Larry530i
01-17-2005, 12:29 AM
Here, has anyone posted this link yet? Its a tiny confusing at first, but its really interesting. theres stuff about the PPPP thing there. And while someone mentioned cleaned the contacts on the CCM, why not pop out the OBC too just for fun. theres a button behind the radio to pop it out. its worth a try.

read this

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_35.htm

good luck. search the forums too, you might find something

Kept on searching the postings and the latest thing I did was disconnected the battery terminals and grounded the cables for ten minutes, then left the cables disconnected over night...the following day connected the battery terminals and tested it...the OBC still displayed PPPP and can not change anything...pressing any key no response....next thing I did was disconnect the battery again, pop out the Radio and unplug the OBC for 30 min...plug it back in....connected the battery...turn on the key Radio ON, now OBC doesn't
display anything....press 1000 and 10 nothing happens...also I do not get any
display on the control display....checked on the fuses...all the fuses that concerns the OBC are all OK now I'm stuck...Pls help

shogun
01-17-2005, 12:43 AM
for the OBC in connection with the anti-theft device. At least on the E32 and I guess it is the same for the E34.
It sits under the rear seat in a slot.

Before you search for the fuse, use a small torch and light onto the OBC display with a slight angle. Then switch some of the push buttons on the BC. If you see numbers changing, just the bulbs are out for the background light of the OBC. But the OBC would have power. If that does not change, then the OBC has no power at all. Then check for the fuse.
http://www.neukaemper-partner.de/BMW/bc1.jpg
http://www.neukaemper-partner.de/BMW/bc2.jpg
http://www.neukaemper-partner.de/BMW/bc4.jpg

Larry530i
01-17-2005, 01:08 AM
for the OBC in connection with the anti-theft device. At least on the E32 and I guess it is the same for the E34.
It sits under the rear seat in a slot.

Before you search for the fuse, use a small torch and light onto the OBC display with a slight angle. Then switch some of the push buttons on the BC. If you see numbers changing, just the bulbs are out for the background light of the OBC. But the OBC would have power. If that does not change, then the OBC has no power at all. Then check for the fuse.
http://www.neukaemper-partner.de/BMW/bc1.jpg
http://www.neukaemper-partner.de/BMW/bc2.jpg
http://www.neukaemper-partner.de/BMW/bc4.jpg

I forgot to to mention that when I pop out the OBC one of the 3ea background bulb is busted...could this be a problem however I've noticed that the display on the OBC is little bit dimmer compared to the display on the Radio...before this problem happened...I will try your 1st step tomorrow...

Shogun..thanks for your response....I checked on the 1st image attached on reply...that indeed there is a hiden fuse under the hole where you lock down the rear seat but there is also fuse#33 on the rear distribution panel that relates to the OBC. I will check this next...

shogun
01-17-2005, 02:03 AM
The older has 4 bulbs the other one 3, 1 is for the ilumination of the push buttons, the other 2 for the ilumination of the display.

But the ilumination has no effect on the function of the BC. Even if all bulbs are dead, it works.
Some weeks ago at a meeting of E32 drivers here in Japan I repaired the BC of someone's 735.
He had the car since >1 year, but thought the BC is cpl. out of order. I used my small torch and lit on the display from the top and pushed all buttons. It worked, but he did not know it.
Someone had spare bulbs (always most of the people have the trunk full of parts for delivering to other members or just to change on such meetings. Do you need this, I could need that from you etc) and we did the repair on the spot.

By the way, next meeting my trunk will also be full with used parts. Just got a lot from a friend in Germany. The guys will be happy. I am looking for a MOMO steering wheel in wood which someone has for sale/trade, and now I have a lot of stuff for trade, LKM, cpl. dashboard, 2 throttle valves, CCM, headlights from Hella (all new), GM, RM, IHKA control panel, sword, MOTRONICS and EML for an M70 engine, ABS, water pump, water valves, aux water pump, power steering pump, generator, switches, relays etc.

My wife will be happy if I bring back less parts from the meeting :D

Larry530i
01-17-2005, 10:37 PM
The older has 4 bulbs the other one 3, 1 is for the ilumination of the push buttons, the other 2 for the ilumination of the display.

But the ilumination has no effect on the function of the BC. Even if all bulbs are dead, it works.
Some weeks ago at a meeting of E32 drivers here in Japan I repaired the BC of someone's 735.
He had the car since >1 year, but thought the BC is cpl. out of order. I used my small torch and lit on the display from the top and pushed all buttons. It worked, but he did not know it.
Someone had spare bulbs (always most of the people have the trunk full of parts for delivering to other members or just to change on such meetings. Do you need this, I could need that from you etc) and we did the repair on the spot.

By the way, next meeting my trunk will also be full with used parts. Just got a lot from a friend in Germany. The guys will be happy. I am looking for a MOMO steering wheel in wood which someone has for sale/trade, and now I have a lot of stuff for trade, LKM, cpl. dashboard, 2 throttle valves, CCM, headlights from Hella (all new), GM, RM, IHKA control panel, sword, MOTRONICS and EML for an M70 engine, ABS, water pump, water valves, aux water pump, power steering pump, generator, switches, relays etc.

My wife will be happy if I bring back less parts from the meeting :D

Last night I unplugged the OBC ,disconnected the battery terminals left it for about 24 hrs...I bought 3ea background bulbs ...replaced all 3ea bulbs...checked again the fuses and the fuse that is hiden behind the fuse block under the rear seat and the fuse of the security sytem all were OK...reconnected the battery terminals then tried but no luck still doesn't work but now I got back the PPPP displayed on the OBC but does not do anything when I press the keys 10/1, 1000/10, 100/10 simultaneously...still locked up...any one who has experienced the same thing....

Javier
01-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Check in your instrument cluster that the Coding plug is properly seated. I guess the OBC relies on the info of the Coding plug to reset himself. I recall there is a post in the Instrument cluster and the coding plug. Also check all connections to the instrument cluster. You may be re-seating all of them in the OBC, but the link is still broken at the instrument cluster.

As a separate subject, please explain this statement: "Radio displays CODE(I have the code)but cannot do anything". Why aren't you able to put the radio to work?

Javier

Larry530i
01-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Check in your instrument cluster that the Coding plug is properly seated. I guess the OBC relies on the info of the Coding plug to reset himself. I recall there is a post in the Instrument cluster and the coding plug. Also check all connections to the instrument cluster. You may be re-seating all of them in the OBC, but the link is still broken at the instrument cluster.

As a separate subject, please explain this statement: "Radio displays CODE(I have the code)but cannot do anything". Why aren't you able to put the radio to work?

Javier

The Radio "CODE" is a 5 digit number an anti theft thing....like the code on the OBC except its only 4 digit number....

How do I check the Instrument cluster coding plug? thanks for your response Javier... :)

Javier
01-18-2005, 05:40 PM
enter it in the Radio, and have it working?

You have to remove the Instrument cluster, as it is connected in the back of it. I would suggest you to check this link to find it.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?postid=49924&highlight=Coding+plug#post49924

Just check it is firmly plugged in its socket. Repeat for every other connection to the instrument cluster.

Javier

Larry530i
01-18-2005, 06:16 PM
enter it in the Radio, and have it working?

You have to remove the Instrument cluster, as it is connected in the back of it. I would suggest you to check this link to find it.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?postid=49924&highlight=Coding+plug#post49924

Just check it is firmly plugged in its socket. Repeat for every other connection to the instrument cluster.

Javier

Well my priority is to have to OBC fixed and have the car running because
have read several posting related to my problem that suggest disconnecting the battery terminals and then grounding the wires to discharge/remove what ever is in the memory of the instruments...have you ever done? Thanks again
Javier...I will try what you suggested

Larry530i
01-22-2005, 09:53 PM
My car is alive!!! Thank you to all who have given me some tips & directions on how to solve this problem. Also I have learned a good lesson which I would like to pass on to everybody. The problem was fuse #1. If you just examine with your naked eye you can not tell that the fuse is busted. This morning I planned of testing all the fuses with my multi tester...and fulled out fuse #1 and tested it ...whala!!! no continuity....replaced it and started the car...bingo ...it started....now I'm a happy camper....

Javier
01-23-2005, 11:47 AM

BlackOnBlack
01-29-2005, 01:26 PM
Shogun, I just bought a '92 525i. The display on the OBC is very dim. I can only see it when I have the lights on at night. Can that be as easy as changing a bulb or is there an LCD display that is going bad?

[QUOTE=shogun]The older has 4 bulbs the other one 3, 1 is for the ilumination of the push buttons, the other 2 for the ilumination of the display.

shogun
01-29-2005, 01:55 PM
When you can see the function at night only, then the OBC works fine. The bulbs have to be replaced, that's all.
Just push the different buttons on the OBC at night and you can see that the display is changing.
Daytime you can check it with a torch. Just light at the OBC from an angle slighly from above (light as the sun shines in) then you can see the display.