PDA

View Full Version : OT - La Conchita mudslide

Scott E
01-15-2005, 06:02 AM
As everyone has probaly seen on the news lately we recently had a mudslide in which 10 people were killed. This occured in as mall community here in Ventura County. La Conchita is a little North of the city of Ventura where I grew up and have lived most of my life. Those you of you in SoCal who attended bimmerfest have driven right past it on the 101.

A good friend of mine whom I grew up lived in La Conchita back in 2002. During the summer I would drive the bimmer up there to party with him. I had many a good time in that little town and it is the only place I have ever been where to local residents would smile and wave to me as I drove down the street. Everyone I ever met there was friendly too.

Personally I feel especially bad for the friends & families of those who lost thier lives in the slide. It hit home even more when I recognized the name of one of victims as someone I met and had hung out with. She was a very outgoing and friendly person.

Ventura is one of the smaller Southern California counties and 10 deaths at one time is more than I can ever remember hearing about. In a small town of 300 people it is more than tragic.