PDA

View Full Version : e34 HELL!

Kalevera
01-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Today has SUCKED.

Let me preface this by saying that all I wanted to do was change the v-belts (because the clowns at Autozone gave me one that was too big for my fan/alt) and check the valves on my M30. My, what a nightmare it's been:

1) I went to the local BMW stealership yesterday inquiring about the belts - the parts people didn't really know what an "m30" was. They didn't have the belts in stock, told me they'd have them today. I go out there today (40 minute drive one way); thinking that it's the BMW dealership, I don't second guess that they could possibly give me the wrong belts - it's the dealer, after all!

2) I get home, pop the car up on the jack in the garage....FREEZING cold, despite my small garage heater. I think - what the heck, I'll try out the cassette player. Pop a cassette in -- *whrrrrr whrrrr whrrrrr* - can't eject it, can't play it...great.

3) Get the old belts off...and...the new fan/alt belt doesn't fit - 13 x 1040, the manual calls for a 12.5 x 1055, the old one was 13 x 1065, and nothing I try will get the damn thing over the water pump. At that point, my garage lights BROWNED out....damn.

4) I call up my buddy Brett Anderson, who tells me that I should be able to get a 1040 on that cog. I call up the stealer and ask if they have a 1055, like the manual says. They have a 1050, it's 5.30 and they close at 6. I scramble over there, get there at 6.02. Part department's closed, everyone in that section of the building has gone home. I go to two other auto parts stores before I find one that's open/willing to serve me. As I pull into the parking lot, I notice a guy getting ready to pour Prestone into his V8 e34 -- I ran over and told him he should get that stuff out of there as quickly as possible. He didn't seem to care -- :(.... Finally, I get my belt. Wooo.

5) Belt goes on, great. I have the garage door open and it's cold, so I decide to close it. The car is jacked up on the DS, the top of the hood catches the garage door and STARTS TO BE PULLED FORWARD. I freak out, gladly the thing released itself...I check the hood and go on to other things. Before closing the hood, I notice a puddle of coolant in the front drivers side of the engine compartment....it's the coolant return line - SNAPPED - courtesy of my hood and the cold.

6) I try to remove the radio to get that tape out -- I don't have the correct hex key. The radio starts beeping at me, thinking that I'm trying to steal it.

So, now I have to replace the coolant return line and yank the radio out. And all I wanted to do was check my banjo bolts! And, to make the deal sweeter, I've got to get it all done early tomorrow morning, so I can smog the car and get it back on the road.

Anyone know how I can quickly and efficiently replace that coolant return line? I was thinking about slapping a piece of small tubing and some plumber's GOOP on it, but who knows if it will withstand the heat and pressure.

I'm frustrated.

Lowell

granit_silber
01-15-2005, 08:21 AM
Today has SUCKED.

Let me preface this by saying that all I wanted to do was change the v-belts (because the clowns at Autozone gave me one that was too big for my fan/alt) and check the valves on my M30. My, what a nightmare it's been:

1) I went to the local BMW stealership yesterday inquiring about the belts - the parts people didn't really know what an "m30" was. They didn't have the belts in stock, told me they'd have them today. I go out there today (40 minute drive one way); thinking that it's the BMW dealership, I don't second guess that they could possibly give me the wrong belts - it's the dealer, after all!

2) I get home, pop the car up on the jack in the garage....FREEZING cold, despite my small garage heater. I think - what the heck, I'll try out the cassette player. Pop a cassette in -- *whrrrrr whrrrr whrrrrr* - can't eject it, can't play it...great.

3) Get the old belts off...and...the new fan/alt belt doesn't fit - 13 x 1040, the manual calls for a 12.5 x 1055, the old one was 13 x 1065, and nothing I try will get the damn thing over the water pump. At that point, my garage lights BROWNED out....damn.

4) I call up my buddy Brett Anderson, who tells me that I should be able to get a 1040 on that cog. I call up the stealer and ask if they have a 1055, like the manual says. They have a 1050, it's 5.30 and they close at 6. I scramble over there, get there at 6.02. Part department's closed, everyone in that section of the building has gone home. I go to two other auto parts stores before I find one that's open/willing to serve me. As I pull into the parking lot, I notice a guy getting ready to pour Prestone into his V8 e34 -- I ran over and told him he should get that stuff out of there as quickly as possible. He didn't seem to care -- :(.... Finally, I get my belt. Wooo.

5) Belt goes on, great. I have the garage door open and it's cold, so I decide to close it. The car is jacked up on the DS, the top of the hood catches the garage door and STARTS TO BE PULLED FORWARD. I freak out, gladly the thing released itself...I check the hood and go on to other things. Before closing the hood, I notice a puddle of coolant in the front drivers side of the engine compartment....it's the coolant return line - SNAPPED - courtesy of my hood and the cold.

6) I try to remove the radio to get that tape out -- I don't have the correct hex key. The radio starts beeping at me, thinking that I'm trying to steal it.

So, now I have to replace the coolant return line and yank the radio out. And all I wanted to do was check my banjo bolts! And, to make the deal sweeter, I've got to get it all done early tomorrow morning, so I can smog the car and get it back on the road.

Anyone know how I can quickly and efficiently replace that coolant return line? I was thinking about slapping a piece of small tubing and some plumber's GOOP on it, but who knows if it will withstand the heat and pressure.

I'm frustrated.

Lowell

The only advice i give regards the stuck tape. My deck didn't want to eject an adapter for my mini-disc. After fighting for a while I mad and decided that the adapter was coming out one way or another.

Go to your kitchen and grab a thin bladed dinner knife. Gp back to your car, turn it on, and turn the deck on. Push the eject button.
As the tape is trying to eject, slide the knife blade underneath the cassette, between the cassette and the little metal palte the pops it up. That released the tnesion on whatever was keeping mine stuck. Far as I know I didn't damage anything.

Good Luck,
ashley

Kalevera
01-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Ashley - I'm going to try that out. I was using a flat blade screw driver, was able to get it "propped up", but didn't have a set of needle nose pliers to try to pull the cassette out. Thanks for the advice, though - I'll check it out.

In terms of finding a new return line -- no place in Cleveland has them, so I'm stuck without the use of the car until at least Tuesday, or whenever BMA can get one to me :(

632 Regal
01-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Lowell, simply put a hose and couple clamps on the return line, I cracked mine and didnt even think about getting a new line, 20k later I forgot all about that line til I read your post today. PS dont overtighten the hose clamps it can crush the plastic return line.

Kalevera
01-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Jeff -

The plastic return line is the part that broke. Earlier today, I managed to completely destroy it whilst removing it. Most of the plastic in the engine compartment (ie - aux ebox cover, panels for the alternator and air box cooling hoses) is cracked or somehow broken. No auto shop in town has anything like the line, so I ordered a new one, aptly called a "vent return line" or something like that, from BMA. Upon inspecting the "question mark" rubber hose that is the intermediary between the radiator and the (broken) plastic return line, I decided that it was time to replace that as well.

Patrick's going to overnight this stuff to me, hopefully I'll see it on Tuesday, get the car back together and go from there. It'll be a trick getting the new line around the heater valves and the wiring harnesses. The old one was brittle as hell - hopefully the new one will be semi-pliant.

Do you think I should flush the coolant or simply pour what I collected from the return line (a substantial amount, actually -- removing the line caused the return tank to empty itself) back into the system?

LOWELL

632 Regal
01-15-2005, 04:52 PM
pour it back in, just make sure to bleed it correctly and fill it up all the way after it runs a few miles.

winfred
01-15-2005, 11:03 PM
you can completely or in part replace the pisser line with rubber line if you need to get it going, make sure that the coolent flows through it into the bottle, if plugged the car will overheat

GAGE308
01-20-2005, 01:45 AM
Damn Dude,,,BAD DAY-----LOL....Sorry to hear about that...but in reply to the plumbers goop part....TRY an epoxy(if taking THAT route)..they have a Plastic/metal type at Ive found at Wal-Mart in the automotive section....designed to fix radiators...it fixed mine and it Holds to today on my civic...So...Just a suggestion.