PDA

View Full Version : question about hot soak

ejhiggins
01-13-2005, 08:14 PM
can anybody explain how to do this on a M60, my engine pings really bad especially when the wheather is hot or going uphill , i've tried everything all kinds of fuel tratment,octane boosters even put my stock chip back on the ecu and nothing worked.

bimmerd00d
01-13-2005, 09:03 PM
sounds like clogged fuel filter or failing pump.

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-13-2005, 09:30 PM
I’ll ask the obvious questions first.

Do you get any dieseling? You know that rattling motor run on after it is shut off.

Are you running the higher grade of gas? The more octane equals a higher burn/flash temperature and less chances of ping/knock.

Are you running a different set of plugs and wires? Wrong plugs and wires can produce pre-ignition

ejhiggins
01-13-2005, 09:40 PM
i'm not getting any dieseling and always run premium gas as far as plugs i have bosch platinum 4 and the stock coil packs

ejhiggins
01-13-2005, 09:47 PM
i did pull the plugs out for an inspection and they had sort of tiny white spots on them, is this an indicative of lean mixture (clogged filter)?

Russell
01-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Perhaps one or more of the knowck sensors are bad. I think the M60 has 4? Not sure.

can anybody explain how to do this on a M60, my engine pings really bad especially when the wheather is hot or going uphill , i've tried everything all kinds of fuel tratment,octane boosters even put my stock chip back on the ecu and nothing worked.

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Well so much for the simple stuff.....

Check the fault codes, it may reveal a failing sensor or something simple.

But if it pings all the time I would try listening to the motor with a mechanic's stethoscope to check for a mechanical problem.

Good luck

Blitzkrieg Bob
01-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Yeah, could be leaning out. The plugs should be a brown color. Light to gray is lean, but just a few tiny spots on brown would be okay.

632 Regal
01-13-2005, 10:05 PM
keyword being the "bosch platinums" pull those out, throw them on the lawn and get the recommended plugs.

anytime anyone uses them or other high performance plugs they have probs.

If this engine was designed to use them plugs than they would have been used. case closed.

Put it back to stock then troubleshoot.

bimmerd00d
01-13-2005, 10:09 PM
ditch any platinum plug. get NGK or bosch non-platinum.