PDA

View Full Version : question on rear brakes

ejhiggins
01-13-2005, 03:09 PM
could the rear rotors on my 540 be resurfaced or do i need to get new ones , just checked the pads and they are about gone , i've done the fronts twice and got all new parts but the rear rotors look still pretty good , any recs on pads and rotor brands and where to get them. I'm also getting new tires next week stock size 225/60/15 and was looking at the yokohamas AVS DB S2 , read a lot of good reviews on the tire rack web site anybody runnig on this tires?

philbyil
01-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Ate or Balo are OEM discs. Pad types are really dependent upon how you use the car and is a very subjective subject! You will get a myriad of replies saying XYZ pad is great....do a search!!

I have EBC RedStuff on mine and Balo rears....YPYMAYTYC :D :D

One thing though, before the job, buy new screws and hardware and also when you do your rears check and adjust your parking brake shoe adjusters.

JonE
01-13-2005, 04:08 PM
You can have the rear rotors checked for spec and if still enough material you can have them ground/resurfaced. I did this on my 325iC and have had no ill effects on both fronts and rears. cost about $10/rotor. New oem rotors are not very expensive, so, many will understandably just get new ones.

mholbrook
01-13-2005, 05:38 PM
I usually run two sets of pads on each set of rotors. If you have a very noticeable lip on the distal edge, just replace. I never resurface, just replace the pads. Never had a problem. BMW rotors are pretty inexpensive, about a buck fifty should do rotors and pads and you will need one sensor.

Karl
01-13-2005, 11:38 PM
Check the thickness of the rotors to see if they're within spec. If the thickness is within spec and you have no real ridges in the rotors, you can put in new pads without refacing the rotors. New pads will bed into the surface of the rotors OK.