PDA

View Full Version : Australia Poll: What Tyres are you running - what is good and what is bad

Trevor
01-12-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm looking to reshod the 535iA and just wanted to run a poll on what Australian tyres run well on a daily driver.
I've been running Pirelli Drago 5000's which were good for the first few months but the handling benefits fell away sharply after then, especially in the wet. Ater 2 years the full set needs replacing, so I want to make sure that I get it right.

Thanks to the astounding genorisity of Phil Sanderson I'm running on a set of his Pirelli's to get through the rego check (passed today BTW) and until I decide on the new footwear.

Phil has recommended Falken as an inexpesnive option.
Car is a daily driver and is unlikely to see any track time.

Bob Jane T-Marts are trying to push "FULDA" which are a german import, but I have no feedback on them.

Any other thoughts from you OZ E34 owners?

Trevor
01-12-2005, 08:29 PM
BTW, I'm currently running on 225/50 R16's

632 Regal
01-12-2005, 09:18 PM
as far as I have researched, anything german has a much higher quality standard that we can get in the US. Might want to do some research into what you can get there compared to other import tires. I put a $240 set of snows on my car allieviating the 1.5 year, 2 different brand sets that I messed around with. No shimmy, no hogh speed vibration...and these are just winter treads! www.semperit.com (http://www.semperit.com) is the snows, they have other tires available but I cant read a lick of german. I would without hesitation try anything they offer vs others.

shogun
01-12-2005, 10:19 PM
I have now Bridgestone Regno since 1 year.

Before I always had Pirelli tires and wanted to try something new. Yokohama tires and Pirelli P6000 were cheaper than the Bridgestone REGNO, but I am quite satisfied with them on dry and wet streets.
Only driven on slight snow here on New Years Eve, as there is little chance for snow in the area I live.

632 Regal
01-12-2005, 10:23 PM
I can climb straight up tall buildings with mine.

shogun
01-12-2005, 11:04 PM
avoiding the traffic jam, whenever necessary. :)

Alan Y
01-12-2005, 11:58 PM
i'm using Michelin Pilot Sports on mine (235/45 and 255/40). They are expensive but i've only had good experiences with the higher end Michelin tyres for my cars. Like you I tried the Pirelli Dragos and had the same experience, initially impressed but they fell away quickly. A less expensive alternative to the Pilot Sports is the Bridgestone B530. These had good grip, fairly quiet and reasonable mileage. They are (or at least were) used by the Police Highway Patrol. If Bob Jane T Marts are pushing German products, i would give the Continental SportContact2's a go for my Bimmer.