PDA

View Full Version : Henkel Turco rust converter?

jplacson
01-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Has anyone had any experience with this product? I was planning to use it on a small hidden spot ... but I don't know if this thing will start it's own corrosive cycle or something.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Mr Project
01-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Never heard of it. What type of product is it?

I'd recommend POR-15. Been very happy with it thus far on both the BMW and the Corvairs.

jplacson
01-12-2005, 01:17 PM
It's a German brand... it's a rust converter/inhibitor. It's supposed to convert rust into some other substance (it deoxidizes it, alkaline based)

John B.
01-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Eastwood sells a similar product now called "Rust Encapsulator" but for decades it was known as Corroless. This converts rust to an inert metal over a period of months & has been used on bridges, ships, ect worldwide. I've used it since the 70s & it works great. Unlike POR15 it is not affected by ultraviolet rays & does not need to be top coated but will accept any modern topcoat once dry.

shogun
01-12-2005, 08:01 PM
one of the largest manufacturers worldwide in this business.
Usually Henkel products are very reliable.

Found the URL of Turco (http://www.turcoproducts.com/turco/index.cfm)

I recently did the corrosions under the doors inside where the weather strips are located and where there are the 2 drain holes from the doors. That is usually the point where E32 corrode. Also used a rust converter. Works very well.
Among oldtimer fans in Europe Fertan is highly recommended. Got a nice brochure from them even sent to Japan on how to work with their products.
Do not know if it is available in your country, but you can check on their hompegae which has various languages.

Fertan products (http://www.fertan.de/fertan.html)

jplacson
01-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Well, I can check for all the products you guys mentioned. Thanks. I just wanted to know if Turco really works... I was worried it (or rust converters in general) may have a negative chemical reaction to the existing rust coating on the E34 or something.