PDA

View Full Version : M60 Alternator Replacement

MantecaBMW
01-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Has anyone done this? Man what a pain in the a$$. I finally got the fan and drive belt off and unbolted the tensioner to get clearance for the lower mounting bolt. The problem I'm having is with the oil filter canister. I removed the lower bolt and the 2 nuts from the top side as I need to raise it to get the alternator to clear, but I can't move it forward enough to get it off the mounting studs. It looks like I need to remove the studs to be able to raise it. Are these studs simply screwed into the head? If so then it seems simple enough to remove them. But if they are permanent, It will be a problem.

Help!!!

DanDombrowski
01-12-2005, 03:20 PM
Dont know what to tell you on the removal since I don't have that engine, but I assume that you found the alternator was the problem after all?

Javier
01-12-2005, 03:47 PM
I have three pictures (250KB total) with general instructions. As I can't post them due to size, I can e-ail them to you if you authorizes.

Javier

MantecaBMW
01-12-2005, 04:28 PM
I charged the battery overnight. Checked the voltage and I had 12v cold and 14v with the car running. The problem was intermittent.....sometimes it would run fine, sometimes it wouldn't start at all....let it sit for a moment and it was fine again. Couldn't get to the back of the alternator to test...just too damn crowded with the V8.....engineers sandwiched everything in so damn tight.

Next, I turned the key on, turned on all the accessories (lights, fogs, high beams, blowers, radio...etc) and everything started going dim in less than 1 minute....voltage dropped below 11v. So I think the battery is going out as well.

The alternator has been noisy for quite some time and when I took the belt off I could feel some slop in the bearing and alot of noise when spinning.....looks like the original and with 218k I figured what the heck and ordered the new one. Can't do any harm...well, except to my knuckles getting a bit bloody and my patience running thin.

I'll hold off on replacing the battery until I can do a full load test.

Speaking of batteries, where do I get one of these monsters? Don't think I can just walk in to Auto Zone....

Regards,

Mark

MantecaBMW
01-12-2005, 04:30 PM
msnyder4032@yahoo.com

632 Regal
01-12-2005, 05:35 PM
its the autozone duralast group 49D, 7 year warranty with
2 years straight replacement. its no longer 59.99, now its 64.99 and it comes with the vent kit .

Javier
01-12-2005, 05:50 PM

MantecaBMW
01-12-2005, 05:56 PM
It's the real wide battery? The one in there now barely fits...

Thanks,

Mark