PDA

View Full Version : aamco?

MaloventEvil
01-12-2005, 07:23 AM
thoughts on getting tranny fluid changed at aamco? also, is it best to put in the OEM fluids, redline fluids, or something else?

Bill R.
01-12-2005, 09:06 AM
It helps to know that

tim
01-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Also, every aamco is different. Some are good, some are bad. We have one here in Dallas that has a guy who's run the place forever and most people who know/care trust him. But there are 10 others in town that you wouldn't go near with a ZF tranny. The GM's are slightly more serviceable, but still, its important to do work right whenever you drop your tranny pan.

Kirt Koeller gave me a rec for my area and I never would have found this place as it's in a funky part of town, but they've done me right for cheap. As I've gotten more knowlegeable, I've discovered that most of the dealers in the area and several tranny shops farm their work out to these guys anyway.

But without some sort of reference or recommendation, You're really taking a shot in the dark. Why don't you post your location and maybe somebody in your area will post.

Mobius
01-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Be wary.

They're well known for quoting a low price, then finding some 'huge problem' once the transmission is in pieces on a workbench, doubling or tripling the price, and holding your disassembled transmission hostage until you pay up.

I'm sure not all of them are bad, but - be careful.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/results.asp?q1=ALL&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0&submit2=Search%21&q5=aamco

Bob in San Jose
01-13-2005, 05:05 PM
I assume you are talking about the 540 6speed.
I think Redline MTL is the choice of most people.
Try Ramon at Bavarian Motorsport
408-956-1662

Bob
1995 540iA Sadly not a 6 Speed