PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Entry!!!!!

GAGE308
01-12-2005, 02:47 AM
HELLO ALL..--
I just want to start this Post with the Hope that in these uncertain times It finds you well....With the asian Killer waves...Terror around the globe...war...Mudslides in California...and whatever it may be That brings us down...Just keep our chins up....Ok enough of that
I am going to Install a Keyless entry system That I got from Circuit city onto my e34...1991 525i.... The car has power locks...and I am REALLY having a hard time trying to figure out WHERE to Mount the Module...and then where Exactly to make My connections to the Places Needed in the car...The Install manual with the Product is Of VEry LITTLE HELP....after a week of reading it over and Over...i pretty Much Understand WHICH wires do WHAT on the module harnesses IE...Blinking the parking Lights to verify Locking action...the horn for the double lock...etc...I just really need the drivers door to unlock because as we all Know that takes care of the rest...OK..I have Looked up the wiring diagrams FOR this car But They still just dont make sense to me..or actually show me where to hook my wires...Do any of you FINE people Know of a website that Might have Some Pictures Showing me Where to hook it all?.....i mean Im THINKING its going to be Under the rear seat where the Majority of my work takes place...BUT...I have heard SOME talk about next to the foot rest drivers foot area....OK...I HOPE someone will be able to help me...i KNOW Its Only $100 to have it done....But Damnit...I just dont want people Drilling in my car...and The principal of the $100 ifor something I'll probably easily do...Myself...I could put that towards the new tweeter speakers I want...;-)...OK GUYS...I'll Thank you in advance

jplacson
01-12-2005, 03:12 AM
Ok... in a related topic, is there a keyless entry module that allows a driver's-door-only unlock? The central locking unlocks all the doors... I wanna unlock just the driver's door when I'm alone.

Incantation
01-12-2005, 03:31 AM
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Upgrade/KeylessEntry.htm

that got me started.. it was really quite simple. in my model e34 (early 90) the keyless entry was installed in the left kickpanel.. but i understand that other models can have it under the back seat by the battery.

for mine.. it was a simple matter of splicing 4 wires.. power, ground, lock, and unlock. if you find the wire colours for these in your kick panels all you have to do is splice the keyless entry wires in and you're done.. took me about 10 minutes. of course i don't have flashing lights or horn beep but.. i don't think my keyless (which i got from mypushcart.com on ebay) even has that functionality.

i generally don't even use the keyless to lock.. using the key you can deadbolt the lock cylinder so that the locks and trunk are unopenable unless the keyless or key open them.. which for me is particularly useful since i have about 3 grand in stereo equipment sitting in the trunk :)

anyway.. hope this helps

Incantation
01-12-2005, 04:06 AM
jplacson.. i 99% certain it can't be done.. it's all or nothing. someone please correct me if i am mistaken

shogun
01-12-2005, 04:24 AM
The orginal design is controlled by the GM. The GM cannot be reprogrammed respect. is not programmable.
But why do you not ask the supplier directly or have once more a look into the installation instructions of the one you bought. If it would have such feature, it would be mentioned in the manual.

More info here on Johan's page (http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/remote_locking/remote_locking.html)

Bill R.
01-12-2005, 09:15 AM
the drivers door unlock. I have one on my 535 for the keyless entry, first click unlocks the drivers door and second click unlocks all the others.. You can also program for all the doors to lock as soon as the car is started or not.. etc.
My wife wanted that function programmed even though i don't like it.. I've gotten into trouble more than once starting a customers car and then walking up front to the engine, about that time all the doors lock with the keys inside and the engine running..So now i roll down the drivers window on everything before i get out with it running.
At any rate any number of aftermarket keyless remotes will have this function built in.

Ok... in a related topic, is there a keyless entry module that allows a driver's-door-only unlock? The central locking unlocks all the doors... I wanna unlock just the driver's door when I'm alone.

winfred
01-12-2005, 10:33 AM
god do i hate automatic locking, most of the crappy cars i work on when you roll down the window the sonofabitch falls off track

i don't like it.. I've gotten into trouble more than once starting a customers car and then walking up front to the engine, about that time all the doors lock with the keys inside and the engine running..So now i roll down the drivers window on everything before i get out with it running.
At any rate any number of aftermarket keyless remotes will have this function built in.

Bill R.
01-12-2005, 10:40 AM
self arm just about the time your raising the hood and the horn goes off right in your ear.....I usually let the customer reinstall the fuse himself on those..

god do i hate automatic locking, most of the crappy cars i work on when you roll down the window the sonofabitch falls off track

jplacson
01-12-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks! So, will almost any aftermarket unit with this feature work with the E34? I mean, will any major modifications need to be made?

winfred
01-12-2005, 01:21 PM
i've been known to chop a wire instead of tearing the dash apart looking for it's fuse

self arm just about the time your raising the hood and the horn goes off right in your ear.....I usually let the customer reinstall the fuse himself on those..

GAGE308
01-13-2005, 12:33 AM
Cool...Thanks dude...I appreciate you taking the time...and yeah,....The link...I JUST Noticed that today...I didnt think there was anything THAT detailed for keyless entry...MY MAJOR Problem is...I have a 1991 525i...AND THAT was the year they changed over to the m-50 engine from the M-20....Quite a Bit of other things changed as well...Im Not sure Exactly what...BUT....The TWo different 525's that were made in that ONE year are somewhat different in MANY ways...One BIG way was I had Drained My oil the other day...Went to put the new filter in...WRONG M%# F!#$ FILTER....FRAM ONLY HAD ONE LISTED UNDER THAT YEAR in their Book...I just assumed that BOTH engines took the SAME Filter...WRONG...I have the cannister and they gave me ascrew on type...SO ANYWAY...these are the challenges I have....LOL...But HEY...Thanks again...PEACE!
Donnie V