PDA

View Full Version : Question on Bilstein/H&R setup

JAlfredPrufrock
01-11-2005, 10:10 PM
OK I've looked around and I'm sure this has been discussed at one point but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for...

I have the oppurtunity to pick up a Bilstein/H&R combo with about 8k miles on it (shocks and springs, respectively) and was wondering if someone could help me out.

It's coming out of an E34 530i and I was wondering whether this would be compatible or not with my 535i. The seller said that the only thing stopping them from fitting was the nut on the front strut that's either 19 or 22mm, does this sound right?

If they do in fact fit I was wondering if the spring rates would be OK with the 535i vs the 530i.

Any guidance is much appreciated, sorry if this is a repost.

bimmerd00d
01-11-2005, 10:35 PM
yah the spring rates should be very similar i THINK.

darron525
01-11-2005, 10:40 PM
OK I've looked around and I'm sure this has been discussed at one point but I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for...

I have the oppurtunity to pick up a Bilstein/H&R combo with about 8k miles on it (shocks and springs, respectively) and was wondering if someone could help me out.

It's coming out of an E34 530i and I was wondering whether this would be compatible or not with my 535i. The seller said that the only thing stopping them from fitting was the nut on the front strut that's either 19 or 22mm, does this sound right?

If they do in fact fit I was wondering if the spring rates would be OK with the 535i vs the 530i.

Any guidance is much appreciated, sorry if this is a repost.

I can't say for sure ,but I would say if the v8 is a heavier engine than your v6 you may not get the proper drop or the same drop as the v8 as those springs and shocks were probably designed for the specific weight of the v8.
Agian thats just a thought so don't take my word for it , im sure the guys with suspension knowledge will chime in very soon.

darron

Johntee540
01-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Actually the 535 Engine is heavier than the 530/540. The 8's are aluminum. They weigh pretty close to each other though. - JT

jjw
01-11-2005, 11:14 PM
The spring and shock should work for you. I have put a set for 525 into a 540 have no problems. E34 cames with two type of strut upper mount, 19 and 22 mm. And depends how many miles on yours, I would consider change the mount at the same time. AS far as spring rate goes, they are all the same, only the load rating is different.

JAlfredPrufrock
01-12-2005, 12:05 AM
JJW - you say this mount is interchangeable?

Can anyone else chime in on this? I am pretty close to buying them and want to be sure that they will work.

Kalevera
01-12-2005, 01:06 AM
Check to see if you have a 19 mm or 22mm nut before you go ahead with this; measure it against whatever the seller is offering. I don't think the question relates just to finding a strut mount that will fit -- there may be differing dimensions in terms of the actual strut.

I was going to buy the exact same setup from Trevor Ely a few weeks back for my '90 535iA with the intention of using the H&R springs over the BavAutos that I'd bought. Would've been great if it worked out, but even though I'm using struthousings (and mounts) from a 1991 525, the front struts still wouldn'tve fit. I think he mentioned that it came off of a 530...can't remember off the top of my head right now.

So, be sure to check the size of the nut. Good luck!

jjw
01-12-2005, 01:37 AM
I think you can find the right mount for it. I have order the mount from BMA when I am installing hte sachs kit, which came with the 19mm nut, and I replaced both top mount, and to my suprise, they are two different sizes, one is for 22mm and one is for 19mm. Luckly the sachs kit came with a sleave for the 22mm top mount. good luck to you.