PDA

View Full Version : srs airbag question.....

wmann
01-11-2005, 04:11 PM
The srs light on my 540i stays on for about 2 min after starting and then goes out. The manual states that it should go out after several seconds, and thats how it works on my wifes 1994 525it. The manual states that if it stays on or is constantly flashing it needs service. Since mine is somewhere in between does that mean its ok or not? If its ok, will it still deploy if god forbid I get in an accident in the first 2 min? Thanks.....Bill

wengenstein
01-11-2005, 04:29 PM
If it stays on then you either have, or had, a fault somewhere. Did you recently clean the interior, or have a spill? :)

If you haven't got a code reader, you should take it to a dealer or your indy and get the code(s) read. Depending on the fault the airbag should still function though. I'm not familiar with many of the SRS faults but if the problem is something like a set belt sensor or the passenger seat pressure sensor the airbags should function normally.

Dennis

The srs light on my 540i stays on for about 2 min after starting and then goes out. The manual states that it should go out after several seconds, and thats how it works on my wifes 1994 525it. The manual states that if it stays on or is constantly flashing it needs service. Since mine is somewhere in between does that mean its ok or not? If its ok, will it still deploy if god forbid I get in an accident in the first 2 min? Thanks.....Bill

e34bim
01-11-2005, 04:34 PM
if the light goes off even after 2 mins then the system is ok (delayed response) and thats a problem being sorted but the system is ok as long as the srs light goes off while driving

wengenstein
01-12-2005, 11:43 AM
So if the light goes out then eventhough there could be a fault, its not one that will prevent the operation of the airbags?

if the light goes off even after 2 mins then the system is ok (delayed response) and thats a problem being sorted but the system is ok as long as the srs light goes off while driving

wareagle72
04-04-2005, 09:22 PM
wmann: The exact same thing started to happen to my '95 540 this weekend. It stays on for 2 minutes and then goes out. Tonight was the first time i have been able to research this on the net. I think i will continue and monitor to see if the time gets any longer. If you have an update, please post. Thanks.

PhilipJCaputo
04-05-2005, 09:38 AM
I have the same deal.... it started happening right after I took out the cluster to change some bulbs.... I guess I was suppose to disconnect the battery first (but I didn't)

Dash01
04-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Is there any simple way to reset the SRS without going to a dealer?

I recently had to remove the steering wheel airbag for steering lock maintenance, so disconnected the battery and airbag before removal. I'm told the flashing/steady SRS light can only be reset by a dealer, but hope to find a simpler way. Suggestions?

wengenstein
04-05-2005, 10:31 AM
You can get a reset tool from bavarian autosport (http://www.bavauto.com) (and prolly elswhere)

Dennis

Is there any simple way to reset the SRS without going to a dealer?

I recently had to remove the steering wheel airbag for steering lock maintenance, so disconnected the battery and airbag before removal. I'm told the flashing/steady SRS light can only be reset by a dealer, but hope to find a simpler way. Suggestions?

kngpen
04-05-2005, 12:20 PM
You can get a reset tool from bavarian autosport (http://www.bavauto.com) (and prolly elswhere)

Dennis

Lol, it must be something in the air because my 95 525i is doing the same thing

Sweetwater
04-13-2005, 12:35 PM
Lol, it must be something in the air because my 95 525i is doing the same thing

Just did a search and arrived at this thread. I'm starting down the same road.

Two weeks ago I did a 1K mile trip to and from Lost Wages. Car ran beautifully at average speed 79.8 mph and gas mileage 25.7 mpg. '95 530ia with 67K miles this week. Warm in Vegas at 70 degrees. Came home to Salty Lake and temps in the 30's. The very next morning these symptoms started.

Normal warning lights when key is started. SRS light on, then blinks (this is when it normally stayed off), approximately 2-3 minutes later it goes out without any intervention.

Has anybody had further information or follow up to this situation?

bubba966
02-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Guessing no one ever figured out the two minute SRS light problem? Mine's done it for about as long as I've owned it. But I don't think it's supposed to be on for 2 minutes after the car is started.

Gearhead
07-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Bringing an old thread back to life. Have any of you found out what's behind this 2-minute SRS light issue. Mine just started. Will a "shogun" reset fix this? Thanks!

mzarifkar
07-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Bringing an old thread back to life. Have any of you found out what's behind this 2-minute SRS light issue. Mine just started. Will a "shogun" reset fix this? Thanks!

nope

Bo525i
07-17-2009, 02:56 AM
I have the same, only I know why.. I swapped seats between my cars and the passenger seat that went into the 95 doesnīt have the seat sensor hence the 2 min delay!

So what I have to do is take apart the original seat and transfer the sensor to the leather sports now in the 95.. Just havenīt gotten around to it yet. :)

Bill R.
07-17-2009, 09:34 AM
answered repeatedly in the past. If you look at service bulletin 720496 youll see it. Its caused by a broken or damaged circuit board in either the drivers side seat belt latch or the passengers side. If you have code 24 its the drivers side if you have fault code 25 its the passenger side, either way it goes into the default mode which is to trigger both bags in the event of an accident.
IF the system is functioning normally then the seat belt sensors detect if you have a passenger in the car and will turn that bag on or off which would save some money if nobodies on that side then you don't need to trigger the passenger bag.

It affects all models with the ZAE airbag system, e34e36,e38,e31 as of production date 3/94

Russell
07-18-2009, 06:43 AM
answered repeatedly in the past. If you look at service bulletin 720496 youll see it. Its caused by a broken or damaged circuit board in either the drivers side seat belt latch or the passengers side. If you have code 24 its the drivers side if you have fault code 25 its the passenger side, either way it goes into the default mode which is to trigger both bags in the event of an accident.
IF the system is functioning normally then the seat belt sensors detect if you have a passenger in the car and will turn that bag on or off which would save some money if nobodies on that side then you don't need to trigger the passenger bag.

It affects all models with the ZAE airbag system, e34e36,e38,e31 as of production date 3/94

My indy wanted a bundle to fix as parts are not cheap and seat needs to removed etc. meaning a fairly high labor charge. Has anyone tried to fix the circuit board themselves?

upallnight
08-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Find someone with Carsoft 6.5 and have him read the srs module. After he reads the module he can clear the fault. I just helped a fellow BMW owner clear the SRS fault on his 535I.

Golgade
08-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Mine was doing the same thing, so I bought one of those crappy chinese srs readers off ebay for $60. The code it gave me said it was like a general srs code that goes off, and to reset, and it shouldn't come back on. I reset it with the reader and it hasn't come back on, that was a few months ago.

shogun
01-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Description:
Service Bulletin Number: 720496
Bulletin Sequence Number: 10
Date of Bulletin: 04/1996
NHTSA Item Number: SB047664
Year: 1994
Make: BMW
Model: 740
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT
Summary:
THE SRS AIRBAG LIGHT COMES ''ON'' AND STAYS ILLUMINATED FOR UP TO TWO MINUTES AFTER STARTING THE VEHICLE. THIS MAY HAPPEN EITHER WITH EVERY START OR SPORADICALLY. THE PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD IN THE FRONT SAFETY BELT BUCKLE MAY BE BROKEN. THIS CAUSES THE MO BROKEN. THIS CAUSES THE MONITORED RESISTANCE VALUES TO DRIFT UNDER MECHANICAL LOAD.
http://www.allworldauto.com/tsbs/NHTSA__BMW_535_technical_service_bulletin_142463.h tml

Mr._Graybeard
01-25-2010, 01:28 PM
My indy wanted a bundle to fix as parts are not cheap and seat needs to removed etc. meaning a fairly high labor charge. Has anyone tried to fix the circuit board themselves?

I've thought about trying to reflow the solder joints, but after taking a close look at the seat belt latch I didn't see an easy way to open the housing up. With the options of living with the 2-minute light or possibly breaking the latch assembly trying to fix it, I chose the former. If I hit something hard enough to deploy both airbags, the car's gonna be a total anyway, so why bother?

Russell
01-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Find someone with Carsoft 6.5 and have him read the srs module. After he reads the module he can clear the fault. I just helped a fellow BMW owner clear the SRS fault on his 535I.
done that-will not stay fixed

6670charger
04-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Mine flashes on and off for a few minutes after I start the car, and then just stays on. What does that mean?

632 Regal
04-18-2011, 07:04 AM
Means you have a fault with the SRS system?

6670charger
04-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Means you have a fault with the SRS system?

I wondered. My owners manual is printed in German only, and doesn't always translate to English well.

Omega
04-27-2011, 05:15 AM
I wondered. My owners manual is printed in German only, and doesn't always translate to English well.

Google is your friend. Search for "e34 manual pdf" and download the english version. There are plenty of sites out there offering the manuals for free (copyright not withstanding...) Over 300,000 returns with that search term.

shogun
04-27-2011, 06:03 AM
@6670charger
in case you need a reset tool in Germany, I also have some on stock in Germany
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/swap-meet-classified-ads/39204-service-airbag-srs-light-reset-tool-new.html
Note that you will not get a TUEV certificate in Germany if the airbag light does not function perfect. They are now checking that always, and the old trick with tape to cover the bulb is known to them of course, so they check if it goes on and then off.

Loryde
02-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Yup, Ive got the same issue with my SRS staying on for a few minutes after starting . I have a '95 540i which I just purchased with 130,000 miles, and just assumed this was normal, .......guess I was wrong!!