PDA

View Full Version : Understanding a Blackstone oil analysis

Russell
01-10-2005, 07:34 PM
I just had a Blackstone oil analysis completed on my 95 525I with 104,000 or so miles, about 3,600 miles on Mobil 1 0w40.

While test was positive there were a couple concerns on my part. Perhaps some of my concersn are unique to BMWS.

Lead was a 23, which are high, universal averages should be around seven. Is this bearing wear? Other bearing metals were fine.

Boron was a 127 reading and universal averages were about 60. There is no antifreeze in the oil. Could this be the high detergent level of the Mobil 1?

Fuel in the oil was a little high at about 1 percent. The test indicated that I should only be concerned if over 2 percent. Could my E.A.T chip be causing my engine to run rich? Alternatively, is it simple like my charcoal canister never been replaced in 10 years?

The TBN was 6.3. What does that really mean? While it means I have life left in the oil. How much life is left? Higher number is better as it understand it.

Derek A.
01-10-2005, 07:38 PM
These oil tests always puzzled me. What action do you take after having an oil analysis ?

Do you teardown and rebuild a good engine due to an oil analysis? replace a head gasket ?

In all reality you are limited to your choices of fuel, oil & coolant. You are dealing with a 10 year old car with over 100,000 miles on it.

My advice - change Mobil 1 oil every 5000 miles. Fix something if its broken and drive it till the wheels fall off.

ryan roopnarine
01-11-2005, 05:17 AM
im curious as to how the tbn is 6.x while fuel dilution is already at 1 percent after only 3k miles. does this car get driven REEEALLLYYY conservatively? do you only drive it occasionally? i think engine lugging can cause the Pb to peel off faster than the other items than they measure for. maybe a fuel injector is leaking a wee bit? also remember that (if you ask the people over in oil land) that many will tell you that blackstone's results in measuring tbn are somewhat random. perhaps your tbn is depleted with to go along with your dilution and bearing wear, because of something like a dying coil or ate up coil boot or leaking fuel injector. im of derek's philosophy, i don't really have the money to send my oil off to be analyzed. but if i found out what you did, i'd try to fix (to a degree) all the things i could (inexpensive, like boots) and send at least one other sample in to see if their results were consistent or fluke.

I just had a Blackstone oil analysis completed on my 95 525I with 104,000 or so miles, about 3,600 miles on Mobil 1 0w40.

While test was positive there were a couple concerns on my part. Perhaps some of my concersn are unique to BMWS.

Lead was a 23, which are high, universal averages should be around seven. Is this bearing wear? Other bearing metals were fine.

Boron was a 127 reading and universal averages were about 60. There is no antifreeze in the oil. Could this be the high detergent level of the Mobil 1?

Fuel in the oil was a little high at about 1 percent. The test indicated that I should only be concerned if over 2 percent. Could my E.A.T chip be causing my engine to run rich? Alternatively, is it simple like my charcoal canister never been replaced in 10 years?

im curious as to how the tbn is 6.x while fuel dilution is already at 1 percent after only 3k miles. does this car get driven REEEALLLYYY conservatively? do you only drive it occasionally? i think engine lugging can cause the Pb to peel off faster than the other items than they measure for. maybe a fuel injector is leaking a wee bit? also remember that (if you ask the people over in oil land) that many will tell you that blackstone's results in measuring tbn are somewhat random. perhaps your tbn is depleted with to go along with your dilution and bearing wear, because of something like a dying coil or ate up coil boot or leaking fuel injector. im of derek's philosophy, i don't really have the money to send my oil off to be analyzed. but if i found out what you did, i'd try to fix (to a degree) all the things i could (inexpensive, like boots) and send at least one other sample in to see if their results were consistent or fluke.
The TBN was 6.3. What does that really mean? While it means I have life left in the oil. How much life is left? Higher number is better as it understand it.

Russell
01-11-2005, 06:23 AM
I am begining to see a common thread to this reply and replies on bobistheoilguy forum. There may be a mechanical problem such as plugs being in 30,000 miles, injector leak, plug boots or even an old vapor canister which is original. Soem have thought that techron can add to lead content??

BTW, the car is used for a daily 30 mile one way commute mix of open and two lane highway and city on each end for about 14,000 per year. I average 22-24 mpg on ths commute. Also, one of the things I have noticed is the oil gets dark within 1000 miles with Mobil 1 0w40. Perhaps I should be using 15w50 if there is bearing wear??

Again, thanks for your reply