PDA

View Full Version : OBD Question

mlrwy
01-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Hey guys! I have a 1995 540i 6 speed. The "Check Engine" light came on, so I went thru the procedure to read the codes outlined in the Bentley Manual. (Page 100-8, On-Board Diagnostics) Now I want to erase the fault code memory, but the damn thing just keeps flashing the same fault code over and over again! It doesn't stop like it says in the manual. It should stop flashing fault codes, then remain off, then you should be able to reset it. Anybody have any ideas??? Thanks!!!

MLR

Paul in NZ
01-09-2005, 06:30 PM
otherwise the computer just reports the problem again.You could try disconnecting the battery but dont forget your radio code (if you have one) to see if the fault clears

mlrwy
01-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks for that Paul! Bentley does say that it should read off the codes, display a .5 second flash, then the light will stay off. Then if you want to read the codes again, you repeat the procedure. This thing has been flashing the same code for an hour! The way I read Bently, it should stop flashing codes when it has flashed them all (If there is more than one)

Bill R.
01-09-2005, 06:46 PM
before it starts to flash the codes again. Right when you get the long pause after flashing the codes you hold the gas pedal to the floor for 10 seconds to clear the codes.

Thanks for that Paul! Bentley does say that it should read off the codes, display a .5 second flash, then the light will stay off. Then if you want to read the codes again, you repeat the procedure. This thing has been flashing the same code for an hour! The way I read Bently, it should stop flashing codes when it has flashed them all (If there is more than one)

mlrwy
01-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Hi Bill! Just ran out to the garage and tried your suggestion, still won't stop flashing the same code! What it does is flash the code, go off for 5 seconds, comes on for 5 seconds, off for 2.5 seconds, then repeats the code again. Does this over and over! I tried holding the gas pedal down for 10 seconds AFTER the code (during the 5 sec. pause) and also holding it down for 10 sec. AFTER the 5 sec. on & before the code flashes. No luck! It just keeps doing the same thing!

Bill R.
01-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Hi Bill! Just ran out to the garage and tried your suggestion, still won't stop flashing the same code! What it does is flash the code, go off for 5 seconds, comes on for 5 seconds, off for 2.5 seconds, then repeats the code again. Does this over and over! I tried holding the gas pedal down for 10 seconds AFTER the code (during the 5 sec. pause) and also holding it down for 10 sec. AFTER the 5 sec. on & before the code flashes. No luck! It just keeps doing the same thing!1

mlrwy
01-09-2005, 07:17 PM
O.K. Tried it quite a few times again! (MAN it's cold out there!!!) Waited for the code to flash and as soon as it paused, held the pedal down. It just kept doing it's thing! Flashing the code! I'm wondering, if a fault has exsisted for a while, would it record it each time you start the car, or would it just record it as one fault?

Bill R.
01-09-2005, 07:33 PM
intermittent fault sometimes you can clear it and then it won't come back for a day or two of driving.. Depends on what the fault code is for.
What code are you getting?

O.K. Tried it quite a few times again! (MAN it's cold out there!!!) Waited for the code to flash and as soon as it paused, held the pedal down. It just kept doing it's thing! Flashing the code! I'm wondering, if a fault has exsisted for a while, would it record it each time you start the car, or would it just record it as one fault?

mlrwy
01-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Hey Bill, got sidetracked! It's the 1213 code (O2 sensor #2 lean/rich control stop) Gonna give up for today... thanks for the help...I'll try again tomorrow.

Bill R.
01-09-2005, 09:02 PM
hard fault..

Hey Bill, got sidetracked! It's the 1213 code (O2 sensor #2 lean/rich control stop) Gonna give up for today... thanks for the help...I'll try again tomorrow.

winfred
01-09-2005, 09:18 PM
i've found most 02 codes on v8s can be traced to intake leaks and or the pcv plate has failed, with the engine cold start it and spray some carb cleaner below the throttle body under the intake manifold, if the idle changes you have a air leak and need intake gaskets