PDA

View Full Version : Whose brake pedal vibrates while sliding through snow?

rnrn
01-09-2005, 01:48 AM
Is this normal? If I happen to hit the brakes hard here in Chicago with the few inches we have and slide I can feel the pedal almost make some "violent" shakes. No other braking problems although it may happen going over severe bumps while braking in dry conditions too.

Javier
01-09-2005, 02:03 AM
does when different speds are sensed on different whells. Shaking is perfectly normal. Is the result of "chopping" the brake system pressure.

Javier

shogun
01-09-2005, 02:21 AM
ABS is the answer. Basic understanding of anti blocking system.
Also ASC is a nice system.

click here for more info (http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/asct.htm)

tim s
01-09-2005, 05:38 PM
my 1987 e30 feels like someone is rapidly hitting your foot hard compared to the e34.
tim s.

bimmerd00d
01-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Anti-Lock Brake pulsations. Dont try to understand it, just accept it :D:D:D:D

Qsilver7
01-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Is this normal? If I happen to hit the brakes hard here in Chicago with the few inches we have and slide I can feel the pedal almost make some "violent" shakes. No other braking problems although it may happen going over severe bumps while braking in dry conditions too.

When four wheel ABS became standard on most cars...people were releasing their brakes when they felt the "ABS chatter" or pumping the brakes... like before ABS became a standard feature and where getting involved in more accidents. There was a national public annoucement campaign to STOMP/STAY/STEER.

Here's a couple of statements:

1. When stopping a vehicle with ABS in slippery conditions, apply steady pressure to the brake pedal. The ABS automatically pumps the brakes to keep the wheels from locking up. Do not take your foot off the brake pedal if you hear or feel it chatter. That means that the ABS system is working properly and you should continue to steer the car normally. If you don't have ABS, you can achieve the same effect by gently pumping the brakes, pumping more rapidly as the car slows down.

2. Driver Ed students are taught to "stomp", "stay" and "steer". This means "stomp" on the brake, stay on the brake, and steer away from a possible collision. ABS isn't meant to stop you faster. It's for steering control when you really need it. And, remember, when using ABS brakes, you can expect to hear loud metallic sounds emanating from your brakes and you will feel the brake pedal pulsating.

rnrn
01-09-2005, 10:45 PM
:)

632 Regal
01-10-2005, 01:07 AM
I like that sound...reminds me of when my momma rocked me in the cradle. :D