PDA

View Full Version : ASC+T issue

Gooch
01-08-2005, 09:05 AM
I have a slight problem with my traction control. On cold days when I start up the ASC light comes on the dash meaning the traction control isn't working. Sometimes after the car warms up and I restart the car the ASC works. It always works in warm (+25F degree) temperatures.
Since Bentleys doesn't have much content on ASC should I first look at replacing wheel sensors? Or do you think there's a loose connection somewhere? I couldn't tell you where the ASC system is located. Anyone know if there's an ASC module and where it's located?

Gooch
'94 525 5 speed sharked

DueyT
01-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Gooch, it's the "fatter-than-normal" looking ABS unit on the left fenderwell, with about 5-6 stailess brake lines running out of it, about 4 on top and 2 slightly beneath them.

Does the ASC light go out by itself after the car warms up? Have you tried cycling the ASC with the dash switch?

The BMW TIS shows a number of potential problems including poor electrical contact to the wiring harness for the ASC controller (in the big, E-box with the DME) to problems with the ASC throttle valve actuator. Bill or Winfred may be able to provide more info as the TIS says to use the DIS tester...

Cheers,
Duey

Gooch
01-08-2005, 10:32 AM
The ASC light will stay on until I shut down and restart the car after somewhere in the ASC system warms up. Pushing the ASC switch has no effect even though the switch does work when the system is working.

It does sound like an electrical connection issue.

DueyT
01-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Roger, Gooch. I'll try and paste a snippet from the TIS about the connector thing.

DueyT
01-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Sorry about the quality, Gooch...B&W text doesn't crunch down well in .jpg

Cheers,
Duey

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=674&stc=1