PDA

View Full Version : Sachs Kit Install

MantecaBMW
01-07-2005, 05:07 PM
I've read all the good reviews on the Sachs Kit for the E34's and I finally bought one. I'm installing it in my 94 530 next weekend and was looking for some advice on what I can expect during this job. Are there things I need to be careful of or look out for or any tips on making the job easier? I'm also rebuilding the rest of the front suspension at the same time and I know I'm supposed to torque the control arm bushings under load. I replaced the thrust arms about 6 months ago, but since this kit drops the front end about 1.5", do I need to loosen the thrust arms and re-torque the bushings at the new lower ride height or will they be ok as they are.

Appreciate any advice anyone could provide.

Thanks,

Mark

Patrick
01-07-2005, 07:22 PM
If you searched the archives, have a Bentley manual, and printed out instructions from Bruno's site. http://www.bmwe34.net/ you should be in good shape.
One thing you should be aware of is upon reassembly of the new shock/spring/strut setup, make sure the spring is compressed so there is no load on the top nut when you begin to torque it or it will break the top shaft on the shock. According to Yves at BMA this has happened often with the Sachs kit -and yes, it happened to me.
I would think with a newly lowered ride height you will need to loosen and retorque the thrust arms.

Aaron Bakos
01-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Yes, loosen and retorque the thrust arms and control arms (Both the uppers and lowers!).

You'll run the risk of screwing up the bushings otherwise, so better safe than sorry :)

Kalevera
01-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Also, it's a *hella lot easier* to work on the steering plate bolts, and generally do the job, if you loosen both the control arm and thrust arm.

It took me about two hours and a damaged control arm ball joint plastic cover thingie to figure out that I needed to loosen the control arm in order to reinstall the strut housing (don't ask how I got it out without loosening the bolts on the aforementioned components).

Of course, as states Lowell's Law, you discover the best way to do something...just about the time you're finished :)

Thankfully, I had the pleasure of doing it all over again about two days later...when I noticed that one side of the car was lower than the other due to me putting a spring in UPSIDE DOWN!

LOWELL

bahnstormer
01-08-2005, 02:59 PM
set the rear shocks on teh higher setting unless u want shitty tire wear!

liquidtiger720
01-25-2005, 11:49 AM
higher setting? are you referring to the stiffer setting?