PDA

View Full Version : Rear Door Won't Open

Hallmark
01-07-2005, 10:07 AM
This may be similar to what I've read on other posts, but I'm not sure.
One of the rear doors won't open. The lock knob and the handle move without any resistance. It started with the lock knob not engaging when I unlocked or locked the car. I could push it up and down manually with no problem (solenoid gone, I guess). Then last night the interior light came on (apparently it thinks the door is open) and now the door handle and lock knob move but don't engage anything. The door is closed and seems to be latched.

What's that all about?

Hallmark
01-07-2005, 02:52 PM

Javier
01-07-2005, 03:40 PM
may be you can elaborate for me:

1.- When you tell interior lights came on, why do you think it is this door fooling the system? Is this condition permanent? You may not have interior lights any more, as the timer shut them off after a while keeping a door opened.

2.- When you tell lock knob moves but don't engage anything, does it remains where you left it or always come down, I mean, you feel you are building spring tension when you pull it, but when releasing it, will go down (which means that the door is latched locked).

If my memory serves me well, latch/unlatch lock operation on the doors, can not be completed in open doors, then if you have a problem with the jamb switch, that developed wile the door was latched locked, you may not unlatch it until the door jamb switch contact is opened. I will verify this statement with my car and will come back to you with definite outcome. In the mean time, just to try, tap a little over the rear side of the door about the location of the lock jamb? (not sure it is the proper name for it, but I mean the physical lock of the door, what keep it closed, not the drive solenoid (Motor) nor the knob). If you are lucky enough, this may open the jamb switch, and release the system.

Javier

e34bim
01-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Hello all IM new to the site and happy new year to all, as for the door handle mine just did the same and its like rover "spit spit" handles they break real easy the solenoid on mine had failed and as i was trying to pull the latch up my sister was pulling the handle up and broke the plastic bar that opens the door, an inspection inside the door is required ( i simply unhooked the solenoid and left it off so the door could be opened manually )i hope this helps

Javier
01-07-2005, 04:28 PM
the only door preventing any lock operation, is driver's door, but nothing stops the unlatching-unlocking operation on any door. At least in my 1995 535i.

Then the interior light comming on should not be related to this issue. Will look further in the drawings and will let you know any thing that may help.

Javier

Hallmark
01-07-2005, 04:38 PM
may be you can elaborate for me:

1.- When you tell interior lights came on, why do you think it is this door fooling the system? Is this condition permanent? You may not have interior lights any more, as the timer shut them off after a while keeping a door opened.

2.- When you tell lock knob moves but don't engage anything, does it remains where you left it or always come down, I mean, you feel you are building spring tension when you pull it, but when releasing it, will go down (which means that the door is latched locked).

If my memory serves me well, latch/unlatch lock operation on the doors, can not be completed in open doors, then if you have a problem with the jamb switch, that developed wile the door was latched locked, you may not unlatch it until the door jamb switch contact is opened. I will verify this statement with my car and will come back to you with definite outcome. In the mean time, just to try, tap a little over the rear side of the door about the location of the lock jamb? (not sure it is the proper name for it, but I mean the physical lock of the door, what keep it closed, not the drive solenoid (Motor) nor the knob). If you are lucky enough, this may open the jamb switch, and release the system.

Javier

1. The interior lights came on at the same time that the mechanism failed on this door. They come on and all others doors can be opened and shut without affecting them. The timer that is supposed to turn the lights off after a few seconds has no effect, which tells me the circuit thinks a door is still open.

2. The latch knob presently has no tension at all, either up or down. In the orginal solenoid failure (presumed) there was tension as it was pulled up or pushed down, but it stayed in the position it was moved to.

As it stands the door is shut and I cannot open it. The handle does not work and the lock knob does nothing. There is no key lock on the rear doors, so I'm not sure I understand your suggestion. If you can clarify this for me I will be glad to try what you suggest.

Thanks,
Mark

e34bim
01-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Problem is if the solenoid failed while the door was locked as mine did the door could not be opened (the button) was stuck down in the locked position and could not be pulled up to unlock the door, the solenoid holds it in the locked position this is why the solenoid has to be unhooked

Javier
01-07-2005, 07:07 PM
with the key, for example, can you hear the lock motor (it is not a solenoid)operating inside the door, or it is just dead.

Javier

Javier
01-07-2005, 07:16 PM
shut off after a wile with a door opened. This is to prevent leaving them on forever if you inadvertely leave a door opened. If you have a jamb switch stuck closed (open door) the timer should have turn off the lights by now. Aren't hey?

Javier

Hallmark
01-10-2005, 04:52 PM
OK, I don't know what changed but now the door opens and the handle works the internal mechanism. Maybe something was jammed. I haven't had a chance to take the door panel off yet and see what's going on in there yet. I will.

Thanks to all for your advice.