PDA

View Full Version : Hand Grinder advice....

George M
01-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Guys,
Received a Home Depot gift certificate for Christmas and would like to purchase a hand grinder. I have air at my house but would prefer an electric grinder for remote jobs away from home. The question is...which one to buy? Is there a distinction between an angle grinder and die-grinder? Please have a look at the attached link. Not sure which one to purchase and if I want what is referred to as an angle grinder...which may have more versatility. Will typically be using it as a cut off wheel for cutting through bolts, angle iron, sheet metal etc and maybe an occasional muffler pipe....and grinding sharp edges off freshly cut steel. Also which brand is preferred Makita or DeWalt?...both carried by Home Depot. Is there a preferred cut off wheel size that will fit on a particular grinder size?...or are most hand grinders about the same size and will accomodate the same size wheel?
Bill and/or Winfred would appreciate your advice.
Thanks,
George

grinders (http://www.eshop.com/marketplace.aspx?pmpType=1&pcId=1642&catId=2555)

winfred
01-07-2005, 09:32 AM
it's a toss up between Makita or DeWalt on which one you like placement of the switch and comfort of the grip, it's not like you will wear out ether one even if you open up a small metal shop, the dewalt's usually come with a hard case, not sure about the makita. i don't think one of the other two grinders on the list would be a bad choice if you took a liking to one of them

winfred
01-07-2005, 09:40 AM
the 4 1/2" i call them a side grinder is a real handy size and usually have enough ass to handle most jobs, the next step up would be a 6" then 8" but they are longer and not as manuverable. if you watch it you'd notice they use 4 1/2 grinders on american chopper to do the cutting of fenders and general clean up

Is there a preferred cut off wheel size that will fit on a particular grinder size?...or are most hand grinders about the same size and will accomodate the same size wheel?

Bill R.
01-07-2005, 10:11 AM
I have 1- 4 inch makita and 1- 4 1/2 inch makita , ditto for the Ryobi.
My brother worked for Ryobi until they sold their US holdings so I have virtually every ryobi tool made..
The 4 1/2 inch grinders are far better than the 4 inch for everyday use.
You can put a 4 inch wheel on a 4 1/2 but not vice versa...
I would only get a 4 1/2. My friends that have the wrought iron shop have
8 of these grinders on hand all the time and they use up an average of 3 per year.. I've talked to them in the past about this strangely enough. And I spend
enough time down there whenever i need something fabricated or if i have to weld something big. They have tried every make out there and the best ones they have found are the Metabo and the Hitachi .. Metabo is a german brand i believe and hitachi are a unusual green color so they are easy to spot at stores. Durability on these 2 brands is far and away the best. They have had a couple of bosch angle grinders and they held up very well also but were pricey back then. They seem to be much more reasonably priced now.

The most common failure on any of them is the switch, the makita's would always break the switch after a few months. The paddle switch on the dewalt also breaks about as frequently as the ryobi. In your case this might take years though. I'm giving you their continous use results. The dewalt name is the old black and decker pro brand relabeled.. There is a fairly large amount of hype attached to this name.. lots of advertising dollars. You won't wear the motor out on any of the ones listed on home depots site and you won't break it physically, what will break is either the switch or the cord will get damaged first.. both things you can live with... If i were picking from the home depot website, my first choice would be the bosch 4 1/2 for reasons of durability, ergonomics and comfort. Then i would probably pick the makita and the ridgid tool , all in that order...The ridgid looks good on paper but its the only one i have no personal experience with. A case is nice but the models with the case aren't ones i would get listed on home depot.. The reason i have so many and that my friends shop has so many is that when you're working on a project you may have a coarse grinding wheel on one, a sanding wheel on another and a wire wheel on another and a cutoff wheel, this way as you're going through the stages you don't have to switch wheels all the time you just pick up another grinder already to go. Don't even consider a 7 or 9 inch at this point since the 4 1/2 is by far the most flexible useful size. Longer tool cord lengths is nice also as well as chuck locks so you can unscrew the wheel easier. My ryobi and my makita 4 inch I have had both for over 20 years so you probably won't kill anything you buy. I use the bosch extensively when i go down the the wrought iron shop and i really like the way it feels.

Guys,
Received a Home Depot gift certificate for Christmas and would like to purchase a hand grinder. I have air at my house but would prefer an electric grinder for remote jobs away from home. The question is...which one to buy? Is there a distinction between an angle grinder and die-grinder? Please have a look at the attached link. Not sure which one to purchase and if I want what is referred to as an angle grinder...which may have more versatility. Will typically be using it as a cut off wheel for cutting through bolts, angle iron, sheet metal etc and maybe an occasional muffler pipe....and grinding sharp edges off freshly cut steel. Also which brand is preferred Makita or DeWalt?...both carried by Home Depot. Is there a preferred cut off wheel size that will fit on a particular grinder size?...or are most hand grinders about the same size and will accomodate the same size wheel?
Bill and/or Winfred would appreciate your advice.
Thanks,
George

grinders (http://www.eshop.com/marketplace.aspx?pmpType=1&pcId=1642&catId=2555)

winfred
01-07-2005, 01:08 PM
i got a Metabo from some crackhead off the street (and several other decent tools) for a few bucks and it's been a good grinder, i never knew where it was made

DueyT
01-07-2005, 01:46 PM
George, I bought a DeWalt DW831 5", 12A, H.D. grinder at Canadian tire 3 years ago on sale for $69 (Cdn). The thing has been simply fantastic. You know what they say about not regretting buying quality? True, true, true. I think it was a pretty good deal at the time and it has never failed to do what I asked of it. The dang thing's absolutely bulletproof. Disc changes are a snap (integral chuck lock), the shield is fully adjustable, the side handle fits either side, it has a nice long cord, the trigger locks on for long grinds, etc...you'd be hard pressed to buy a better 5" grinder IMO! The thing is strong enough to act like my chop saw (until I get one). The nice thing is, doing anything with it is completely effortless. And to think I almost bought a smaller 4 1/2" angle grinder...what was I thinking?

http://www.dewalt.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/Photos/DEWALT/TOOLS/MEDIUM/8/DW831_1.gif
DeWalt 5" HD grinder (http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=149).

Cheers,
Duey

Bill R.
01-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Home depot with his gift certificate....
Here's what is available there

Sorry it will only let me save the link in general not the grinder page. You have to click power tools then grinders to get to the grinder page.

home depot grinders (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1710662497.1105124253@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadddidmdkdhcgelceffdfgidglm.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=Super%20Categories/Tools%20%26%20Hardware&MID=9876&pos=p06)

DueyT
01-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Home depot with his gift certificate....
Here's what is available there

Sorry it will only let me save the link in general not the grinder page. You have to click power tools then grinders to get to the grinder page.

home depot grinders (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1710662497.1105124253@ @@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadddidmdkdhcgelceffdfgidglm.0&CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=Super%20Categories/Tools%20%26%20Hardware&MID=9876&pos=p06)Bill, at the time, Home Depot also had the DW831....it was "on sale" for $109...couldn't beat Can Tire's $69. I assumed it was still at Home Depot....I just saw one at the Kingston HD just last month. Maybe there's a difference between in-store and on-line stuff?

I figured that since George is just down the road from me, he might also consider one of Canada's two important retail stores: 1) Canadian Tire, and 2) Time Horton's (coffee shop, see miscellaneous in my gallery)

Funny, I though the Canuck dollar sucked harder than a Hoover when compared to your greenback, but I see that a DW831 is $129US but only $139Cdn at Can-Tire. ?Que Pasa?

Cheers
Duey

George M
01-07-2005, 04:32 PM
First let me say thanks very much guys for all the great insight...you're the best and why I came to you for advice. My take after reading all the above is the Bosch is the leader for all the reasons stated by Bill. Bill I also heard the Bosch model was very good. Downside is it is $100. I guess reading all the above, I am leaning toward choice no.2 which is the Makita for $70...seems to be best bang for buck based upon what you guys wrote...true, no case.
See link:
Makita Grinder sold at Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=165739&cm_ven=1hd.com2msn&cm_cat=shopping&cm_pla=prod&cm_ite=prod)

What do you think...a decent choice for an occasional DIY'er?

Many Thanks for all the great information.
George

Bill R.
01-07-2005, 05:08 PM
First let me say thanks very much guys for all the great insight...you're the best and why I came to you for advice. My take after reading all the above is the Bosch is the leader for all the reasons stated by Bill. Bill I also heard the Bosch model was very good. Downside is it is $100. I guess reading all the above, I am leaning toward choice no.2 which is the Makita for $70...seems to be best bang for buck based upon what you guys wrote...true, no case.
See link:
Makita Grinder sold at Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=165739&cm_ven=1hd.com2msn&cm_cat=shopping&cm_pla=prod&cm_ite=prod)

What do you think...a decent choice for an occasional DIY'er?

Many Thanks for all the great information.
George

George M
01-07-2005, 05:23 PM
You're right Bill...$80...thanks for the correction.
Tried to share the link but as you mentioned, will not let me link only
the Bosch grinder.
I will get the Bosch based upon your recommendation.
Thanks again,
George

DueyT
01-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Hmmm...I'm not a big fan of the slide switches up on top. I like the lower trigger or paddle switches. Given the two that Bill mentions, I'd go for the Bosch, although you might still consider DW -- how about this 7.5amp DeWalt 4 1/2" at Home Depot has for $79 (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=165739&cm_ven=1hd.com2msn&cm_cat=shopping&cm_pla=prod&cm_ite=prod).

Hmmm....7.5A - 6A, yellow - blue......I like 7.5A yellow! :D

Duey

Paul in NZ
01-07-2005, 05:41 PM
try em both george for feel and buy the one that feels the best.I dont think durability of the makita or bosch will be a problem for your kind of use.if you are a tool junkie then the hitachi or metabo for o/kill!!!

Bill R.
01-07-2005, 05:41 PM
19.00 cheapo's from harbor freight too... that way like i said you keep a grinding wheel on one and a cutoff wheel on the other...and the harbor freight cheapos actually hold up pretty good... The chinese stuff is getting much better quality than it used to be. One more tip, if you start doing some serious grinding with a 4 1/2 you'll find that you go through grinding wheels pretty quick, the Cheapo chinese ones that you find at the swapmeet and at harbor freight hold up as well as the much more expensive ones that are the name brand, makita , bosch etc... A box of the chinese wheels for 4 1/2 inch which consists of 10 wheels usually you can negotiate at the swapmeet for between 5 and 7.50 a box.. I rarely pay over 5 a box. If i'm welding up a fairly big project i can go through 2 wheels in a day.. When you're in a hurry you can really lean on a quality 4 1/2 inch grinder and it uses the wheel up pretty fast...

You're right Bill...$80...thanks for the correction.
Tried to share the link but as you mentioned, will not let me link only
the Bosch grinder.
I will get the Bosch based upon your recommendation.
Thanks again,
George

DueyT
01-07-2005, 05:46 PM
That's a good point...my 5" wheels seem to last me a fair bit longer than my buddies little 4 1/2...not sure why? I cut just as much stuff, if not more.

Duey

Bill R.
01-07-2005, 06:11 PM
10,000 rpm and the speed on most of the 4 1/2 grinders is 11000 to 12 000 rpm.
Another factor to consider is that the dewalt 5 inch you have weighs 7.5 lbs and the bosch 4 .5 weighs 3.75 lbs.. The 4.5 grinders are light enough that you can hold them with one hand while grinding or sanding. In fact frequently for cleaning up welds you leave the side handle off and hold the body with one hand and steady the part with your other hand.
As far as how long a wheel lasts I have some friends who's wheels last for years... The brand of wheel and how hard you use it determines the life of the wheel, its the same as any abrasives.

That's a good point...my 5" wheels seem to last me a fair bit longer than my buddies little 4 1/2...not sure why? I cut just as much stuff, if not more.

Duey

George M
01-07-2005, 07:06 PM
Boy this has been an informative thread about a important product to guys like us that like to build things. Paul...point taken...the book on the Bosch grinder as Bill stated from first hand experience is their grinder is ergonomically the one to get...handles beautifully...the insight I was looking for.
Thanks to Bill, Winfred, Duey and Paul for helping in my decision.
George

John B.
01-07-2005, 10:13 PM
I picked up a couple of those Chinese grinders at our local job lot store this summer. At $15 apiece I had to grab two. I use an air grinder for my cut off work so no advise there. I have had good luck with Dewalt tools though. I've cut up entire cars using their Sawzall & also have one of their metal chop saws. For ocassional home use any of the brands discussed should treat you well.

winfred
01-07-2005, 10:20 PM
and it kicks ass, the sawzall's as bad as my corded dewalt and bosch, the drill's badder then the avarage corded drill and the circular saw's no slouch ether
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28057&item=4347919740&rd=1

John B.
01-07-2005, 10:30 PM
and it kicks ass, the sawzall's as bad as my corded dewalt and bosch, the drill's badder then the avarage corded drill and the circular saw's no slouch ether
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=28057&item=4347919740&rd=1

You gotta love cordless tools! I just started using them last summer & I'm hooked. Slap in a battery & head outside with a backup in the charger. No more tripping over extension cords.

winfred
01-07-2005, 10:51 PM
before the milwaukee set i had all of the same tools in black & decker 14.4 and thought they were powerful, not even the same ballpark, that 1/2" hammer drill is bad and the folding sawzall with the reversable battery is extreamly cool

You gotta love cordless tools! I just started using them last summer & I'm hooked. Slap in a battery & head outside with a backup in the charger. No more tripping over extension cords.

George M
01-08-2005, 06:34 AM
Cordless tools are nice to be sure. I need a sawzall as well. You guys are way ahead of me in the tool department and my set is the envy of all my friends...guess it depends where you live :-) Well...out of oblivia...John B. has re-emerged.
How the hell are you John? For those that may recall, John is the professional motorcycle painter on the forum that has been away for some time.
Happy New Year to John and all.
George

John B.
01-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Cordless tools are nice to be sure. I need a sawzall as well. You guys are way ahead of me in the tool department and my set is the envy of all my friends...guess it depends where you live :-) Well...out of oblivia...John B. has re-emerged.
How the hell are you John? For those that may recall, John is the professional motorcycle painter on the forum that has been away for some time.
Happy New Year to John and all.
George

I've dropped in occasionally to read the posts but didn't have much to say. I guess my recent success with finally ridding the 535i front end of the clunking that had been haunting me for many months has reinvigorated my E34 interest. No longer a professional painter as I just got burnt out on it after 2 decades. Took a 4 week cross country motorcycle trip in July which gave me lots of time to think about "things", especially crossing Nebraska & Kansas! Concentrating on some long overdue home & shop projects which require learning new carpentry skills and getting a primarily web based motorcycle accessory business up and running.

George M
01-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Good luck on all fronts John...I sent you a PM.
George

JoeS
01-08-2005, 12:49 PM
I deployed this plan as well and have been quite impressed with my 19..99 cheapo grinder. I have had it for couple of years now and it is holding up quite well. And if it decides to lay down on me, i certainly will throw another 20.00 at one.

Winfred - I love that Milwaukee set. I have been watching them for quite some time on the bay, but i just can never pull the trigger. I have heard nothing but great things about that milwaukee set.

Welcome back John.

Good luck on all fronts John...I sent you a PM.
George

George M
01-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Guys,
Here are the Harbor Freight cheapie grinders which come in a variety of cheapness. ;)
Harbor Freight Hand Grinders: (http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyAsk/harborfreight/results.jsp?ts=Sat%20Jan%2008%2013:46:04%20PST%202 005)
Note: as with Home Depot link, won't direct specifically to grinders...type in
"4 1/2 Grinders" into search.
Question is...is the 30 buck Chicago grinder better than the 20 buck grinders?
Opinions?
George

Bill R.
01-08-2005, 05:11 PM
sale cheapo :) I'd go for the 19.99 sale priced cheapo, with the paddle switch and the 5.5 amps... the 3.5 amps 9.99 is getting a little too weak...Although i haven't tried it so i can't say for sure...

Guys,
Here are the Harbor Freight cheapie grinders which come in a variety of cheapness. ;)
Harbor Freight Hand Grinders: (http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyAsk/harborfreight/results.jsp?ts=Sat%20Jan%2008%2013:46:04%20PST%202 005)
Note: as with Home Depot link, won't direct specifically to grinders...type in
"4 1/2 Grinders" into search.
Question is...is the 30 buck Chicago grinder better than the 20 buck grinders?
Opinions?
George

George M
01-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks Bill...appreciate your overview on these grinders...an informative thread.
George

DueyT
01-08-2005, 06:49 PM
I agree with Bill! The 5.5A Chicago actually looks pretty good. As I mentioned earlier, I'm a fan of trigger/paddle switches...top slide still a bit awkward for my tastes.

Of course, George, you know you're going to have to take pics of all your projects to let us know how the grinder works out.

Cheers,
Duey

George M
01-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Hi Duey,
No real projects on the horizon except restoring a couple of vintage Schwinn Lightweight touring bikes for some spirited spring riding. Know a good wheel builder? :)
Grinder won't go near either frame :-)...long overdue to buy one...may hack off the rear muffler on my car tho...hehe.
Hope all is well in the new year Duey and thanks for your advice.
George

DueyT
01-08-2005, 08:08 PM
George, my brother is big into road racing and had a guy in T.O. building the bike for him before he got fully up to speed. My bro recently moved to Ottawa and I haven't heard him mention 'bike dude' recently. I'll ask him next time I speak with him about who he went to...

Cheers,
Duey

shogun
01-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Whow, guys, I envy you
Hairywithit and myself have just some months ago found a place where we can do a bit wrenching in Tokyo/Japan. It's my wifes schoolmate who has a used car shop (one man show/very small). But at least we do not have to wrench on the street.
A parking lot here costs about $ 400/months (no parking lot certified by the polics, no chance to register a car), no space for tools also not at home (same situation).
Unfortunately there are no shops like in other countries where they rent a space with tools, lift etc.

George M
01-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Erich there are some very well equipped garages on this board. Unfortunately, mine isn't among them :-) The cost of space in Japan seems astronomic...wow.
Duey...thanks for the heads up on a wheel builder. Actually know a couple locally. I will build up/lace the wheels myself and have finish tensioning and dish fine tuning performed at the local bike shop. My objective is to mate some vintage France made Schwinn lightweight hubs to late technology, hooked clincher alloy rims so I can run updated tire pressures.
Cheers,
George

winfred
01-09-2005, 10:57 AM
awww no sew up's, wheres the fun in that :D

Schwinn lightweight hubs to late technology, hooked clincher alloy rims so I can run updated tire pressures.
Cheers,
George

George M
01-09-2005, 11:35 AM
Winfred...you can't know about bikes too...you're too young. :-)...but you apparently do...hehe...my kind of guy brother. Yeah....want to adios the old straight wall Weinmann alloy rims and even an old steelie wheel set from a Continental and replace with lighter, safer and faster later tech hooked alloy rims. The issue is...want to run a convention size 700c road wheel on frame sizes made for 27" wheels. Most 700c wheels are made with 130mm rear hub spacing so best to mate old hubs to new rims versus just going out and buying complete 700c wheel sets which are readily available. Plus I like the challenge of building my own stuff and marrying old with new tech. Many ways to skin the cat as you know. Could also cold work the frame to increase rear spacing since both Le Tour and Traveler frames I am rebuilding are 4130 Chrome Moly but don't want to install a 7-9 speed rear cassette in place of a freewheel and longer cage deraileur...starts getting too messy if you take that deep a dive. I love old Schwinn lightweight 10-12 speed bikes with their lugged frames...pure art....especially with some modern tweaks...best of both worlds....like building a hot rod.
Cheers,
George