PDA

View Full Version : Ipod installations??

InfernoM3
01-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Anyone have their ipod connected to their E34. I wanted to see if anyone had some ideas or done this before I attempt. Was planning on waiting for the new Alpine 2005 Headunits and use the IPod interface.

bimmerd00d
01-06-2005, 07:23 PM
i have a nakamichi CD-400, and i connected an RCA-headphone cable to my ipod, and bought a leather cover for my 3rd gen ipod, and it fits nicely in the console next to the e-brake.

K_Po_Uno
01-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Anyone have their ipod connected to their E34. I wanted to see if anyone had some ideas or done this before I attempt. Was planning on waiting for the new Alpine 2005 Headunits and use the IPod interface.

I use an iPod 20 GB with my E34, and it fits perfectly behind the EBrake, between the seats. I use a Griffin FM modulator, which sits above the iPod, and makes it the perfect size to fit in that hole.

I got the iPod instead of the CD changer... my car has the stock AM/FM cassette. I keep a cassette adapter, and a iPod ciglighter adpter around.

Tell me more about the Alpine Headunit...

rph
01-08-2005, 08:40 AM
What works best? The FM modulator or the cassette adapter?

I use an iPod 20 GB with my E34, and it fits perfectly behind the EBrake, between the seats. I use a Griffin FM modulator, which sits above the iPod, and makes it the perfect size to fit in that hole.

I got the iPod instead of the CD changer... my car has the stock AM/FM cassette. I keep a cassette adapter, and a iPod ciglighter adpter around.

Tell me more about the Alpine Headunit...

DanQ
01-08-2005, 08:53 AM
I have the Belkin FM transmitter and it does not work well at all. To get a clear sound from it I have to hold the transmitter near the fog light switch. That doesn't work well when driving. I decided to go with the casette adapter for now until a better solution comes along.
ProClipUSA (http://www.proclipusa.com/) has some neat mounting options for the ipod. I ordered one for my car but it is on back order. I'll get it in about 1.5 weeks. I'll post some pics once I get it setup.

K_Po_Uno
01-09-2005, 11:22 AM
What works best? The FM modulator or the cassette adapter?

I've got a good FM modulator. It works in my car and the car next to me, which can come in handy for a joke.

It's called the Griffin iTrip, and it sits atop the iPod 20GB. I use the cassette some, but it's noisier, and I don't like wires....

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/

DanQ
01-09-2005, 11:45 AM
K Po,

Does the Griffin work anywhere in the car or only when placed in certain locations as I found with the Belkin?

Also, I have the Belkin Auto Kit which consists of a charger that plugs into the ipod's docking port. The "feature" of this is that it has a headphone jack at the charger end that I plug my cassette adapter into. This "feature" adds the dreaded engine whine to the audio. Looking at reviews on Amazon.com, other owners of the Belkin Auto Kit have found the same engine whine. I will be using the headphone jack on the ipod instead from now on.

cleansdabaffroom
01-09-2005, 01:24 PM
this ipod deal sounds kinda interesting. I might buy this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2O0IAx8ibnP/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=50900&I=113CAC1AX

then i'll hook an ipod up to it through that. should sound good. there probably are adapters for different brand head units as well

CrimsonBrian
01-09-2005, 01:50 PM
I use the simple, but effective, tape adapter. I agree that the noise from it is a little high and the car cant seem to decide whether or not it is a metal or a regular tape, but it gets the job done. I had an FM transmitter but it was awful (the Belkin one). I dont really want to disconnect the CD changer and have to run a wire from the trunk up to the driver's side. My iPod just sits in the cup holder that I bought from the stealer. Good luck and let us all know what you end up with!

Brian

ericbendler
01-09-2005, 02:31 PM
I use my Rio Carbon (simuliar to a Ipod Mini) through my line driver. I took the ashtray out and replaced it with a 89 dollar clarion eq/line driver. It has aux outputs in the back and a switch in the front. Works like a charm, and the cord is awesome cause the MP3 player is easily seen, instead of it being held in something.

I will attach a couple of pictures if I can figure out how in the hell to attach them.

Alan Y
01-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Using a "line in" to your head unit yields the best result, followed by a cassette adapter and then FM device.

My understanding is that the headphone jack does not provide "line out" quality, you need to use your Dock or some other device.

check this out:

<http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=31503>

Reidal
01-09-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm resisting the iPod but do use an iPAQ for work and play.

Tried the Belkin FM and was unimpressed. Tape adaptor is the simplest way for reasonable quality.

I got tired of always messing around with things so got a 10 cd, FM mod Kenwood MP3 stacker. The FM mod is direct connect, so no issues with position/reception. Fitted the stacker where the Std stacker goes.

Approx 7 Gig of music and I can always slip in a new CD if I can't wait to get it home to listen to it.

nick30
01-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Hey, can anyone help me please with this? I have an E34 1993 and a Sony Stereo Xplod CDX-F5000C which is compatible for cd changer. I would like to add a device called SONY car stereo to iPod interface to the stereo in order to listen to my Ipod. Up to now everything is easy, I have removed the stereo plugged a wire to the stereo cd changer socket from the device but the problem is where am I going to bring the other wire for the Ipod out from inside the stereo hole. They have told me I can through the glove box but I might have to drill a hole I don't know where or coming out near the gear box. Could anyone tell me or show me some images to make things clear for me where to drill or if there are any easier methods?thank you in advance,
Nick

Ferret
01-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Hey, can anyone help me please with this? I have an E34 1993 and a Sony Stereo Xplod CDX-F5000C which is compatible for cd changer. I would like to add a device called SONY car stereo to iPod interface to the stereo in order to listen to my Ipod. Up to now everything is easy, I have removed the stereo plugged a wire to the stereo cd changer socket from the device but the problem is where am I going to bring the other wire for the Ipod out from inside the stereo hole. They have told me I can through the glove box but I might have to drill a hole I don't know where or coming out near the gear box. Could anyone tell me or show me some images to make things clear for me where to drill or if there are any easier methods?thank you in advance,
Nick

Lift the whole climate/radio panel out, lift the panel around the gearshift and you can get cables all the way through from the back of the stereo to the little pocket next to the e-brake :)

I've some photos of when I did this two weeks ago, need to get em off the camera and do a show-and-tell. Car looks like a nightmare when it's all in bits though. :D

timandbim
01-17-2008, 01:27 PM
this is an rca aux line in that is attached to the rear of my head unit. iirc i was able to feed it through to the glove box behind the climate control panel by removing the top dashboard vent then just squeezing it through - maybe i used a coathanger. i wondered what the plug i have marked with an arrow is for. i think having one at the e-brake boot would be more convenient, but this way might be easier... in my case it's a temporary solution anyway.

edit: now that i think about it when i did that i also prewired another rca cable for an upcoming (might be a while...) subwoofer installation... i fed it through the same crack as the one in the photo and afterwards it was easy to just tuck it under the side/bottom of the centre panel. i think i might have had to loosen a couple of screws a bit but i didn't have to take it off.

Dragunov
01-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Don't quote me on this, but i heard there's a plug and play iPod adapter kit that works with the BMW CD43 business player. That CD player looks nice, fits in well with the rest of the interior and it's BMW. I think they go for around $300

Dunno how much your alpine 2005's would set you back, but personally i'd go for the CD43 that doesnt stick out with its flashy shiny faceplate and LCD.

Though built-in iPod support is a big plus regarding price

attack eagle
01-18-2008, 01:06 AM
wow... grave digging a 3 year old thread about 2005 Alpine/Ipod connectivity to discuss running wires for a sony.