PDA

View Full Version : CDX-M30 CD Changer question

JonE
01-05-2005, 03:27 PM
So, I bought a cdx-m30 on ebay and it came without an interface cord. I guess I wasn't paying attention when researching whether this would plug right into my prewired '90 535i. I thought it would "plug and play". Well, I guess I am looking for a CDX-M30 interface cable. Then it should work, right? Anyone have one lying around that they don't need anymore. I will buy it from you!
Incidentally, were there any actual CD players that did plug into the prewired cars of this era?
Jon

Martin in Bellevue
01-05-2005, 03:48 PM
It is my understanding that the difference is 1 pair swapped for the bmw data cable. Somebody should run continuity tests on the pin outs to make this an easy fix.

JonE
01-05-2005, 03:54 PM
The other difference is that CDX-M30 is a rectangular 13 pin plug going into the changer and the BMW cable is the round 13 pin plug. Seems like there should've just been a simple round to rectangular adapter, but, I suppose that wouldn't make anybody much money now would it? What did you pay for that cable, Martin?

Dan in NZ
01-05-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm going through the same thing. I got the cdx-m30 extremely cheaply, and my car wasn't pre-wired at all, so I got the round-to-square interface cable (called a bmw-pio/m) from www.discountcarstereo.com and a used head unit (either Alpine CM5901 or Pioneer something) and bmw data cable.

I heard that the Pioneer cable would not work, as the pins have a different location compared with the factory cable.

I'm still waiting for all my parts to arrive, but I'll let you know if it works!!! I went this route as it was still cheaper than installing the cheapest aftermarket cd head unit, and I prefer the factory look.

Martin in Bellevue
01-05-2005, 04:25 PM
It plugged directly into the radio & changer. My '89 535 was not wired for the changer.

John D
01-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Try local car stereo shop.... Worked here.

JonE
01-05-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm going through the same thing. I got the cdx-m30 extremely cheaply, and my car wasn't pre-wired at all, so I got the round-to-square interface cable (called a bmw-pio/m) from www.discountcarstereo.com and a used head unit (either Alpine CM5901 or Pioneer something) and bmw data cable.

I heard that the Pioneer cable would not work, as the pins have a different location compared with the factory cable.

I'm still waiting for all my parts to arrive, but I'll let you know if it works!!! I went this route as it was still cheaper than installing the cheapest aftermarket cd head unit, and I prefer the factory look.

So, Dan, what happened to your CDX-M30 cable? If you're putting in a receiver other than the 89-90 Pioneers then that cable may not work for you. As I understand it, the later model BMW cable for 91-95? will work with the CDX-M30 with that BMW-pio/m adapter. And that BMW cable is evidently a 14 pin cable. Is that right? Is the CDX-M30 cable available?
Pretty frustrating as I was hoping I could just use the prewired set already in the car! Looks like finding a cable and snaking it or finding the elusive BMW changer that just plugs in are about my only options. I'm starting to care less about CD sound for some reason... :(

Dan in NZ
01-05-2005, 07:00 PM
I didn't have the cdx-m30 cable. I bought a used head unit from a 1991-1994 (1995 doesn't work) E34, along with it's factory data cable, and intend to use the bmw-pio/m between the factory cable and cdx-m30. That seemed like the most logical way to go about it for me. The interface cable was around $30 from www.discountcarstereo.com.

You might have to do the same as me, but as you have the prewired cables you would just need to get a good used head unit from 1991-1994, and the bmw-pio/m interface cable. Also the wiring harness for the stereo was different from 1991-onwards, so you'll need to patch one in.

JonE
01-06-2005, 08:51 AM
I've located a BMW CDX-M61 changer that has a round 13 pin female connector that looks like it would plug into my prewired cable. Unfortunately, the power connection looks significantly different than my small rectangular plug/cable for power. Perhaps I can sort that out somehow, sigh. Geez, just exactly which BMW changer actually used to plug into this thing and work, anyway!?

JonE
01-06-2005, 08:55 AM
By the way, anyone out there have a '89 or '90 5'er that had prewired and factory CD Changer installed? Would you check and see which model number it is? Preferably this would be the Pioneer changer that looks like a cdx-m30 changer only it says BMW on it.
TIA