PDA

View Full Version : Headlight adjustment motor

TheWildScotsman
01-05-2005, 03:18 PM
My nearside headlight adjustment motor runs constantly when the headlights are on. I have unplugged it in the mean time. The offside motor works correctly, it buzzes when the lights are switched on then goes off. Adjustment of the thumbwheel on the dash also operates correctly on the side still connected. Can anyone shed any light on this problem.

black_bird_blue
01-05-2005, 04:20 PM
My nearside headlight adjustment motor runs constantly when the headlights are on.

I had identical symptoms on my car, I also concluded the defective motor was doing weird things to the OBC since it gave a million false messages about all sorts of stuff that vanished as soon as unplugged the recalcitrant motor. I just replaced the motor assembly, I didn't bother diagnosing it any further. Other people have had OBC woes that trace back to the headlight motor, too, I think.

Damian

TheWildScotsman
01-05-2005, 04:33 PM
I had identical symptoms on my car, I also concluded the defective motor was doing weird things to the OBC since it gave a million false messages about all sorts of stuff that vanished as soon as unplugged the recalcitrant motor. I just replaced the motor assembly, I didn't bother diagnosing it any further. Other people have had OBC woes that trace back to the headlight motor, too, I think.

Damian

Thanks black_bird_blue
I dont have an OBC fitted (got one but require coding plug) so can't confirm errors. However I will replace motor as advised.

shogun
01-06-2005, 12:45 AM
This is the source of many alarms in the CC.

No tail light, no headlight etc.
If that alarm comes and lights are o.k., it's the motor.
Some people have tried and managed to get it running again. Remove it and switch it 50-100 times to each side limit. Sometimes it works.